PDA

View Full Version : Gutted EP3, Sound Proofing and Stereo pics

Ocelaris
03-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Hello, Today I spent all day gutting my EP3. Also added some asphault sheeting (dynamat like) and some jute, carpet padding for extra sound proofing. Thought I'd share some pics.

Ocelaris
03-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Contrary to my knowledge, there is already a white carpet padding below the carpet of the my 02 Si... Hope it pays off.

Tommorrow I'm finishing up the padding, putting it back together, working on the wiring of the stereo system, and the LEDs for ambience... planning on ~15 blue, and 10 Red through out the cabin attached to a switche below the driver's side... or maybe I'll use one of the blank switches on the dash... more pics tommorrow. Ocelaris

Oh, for anyone in the DC area looking for dynamat substitute, I bought a 100 sq. foot role, and have about half left, contact me if you're interested, real cheap, like 20 bucks, I paid ~65 for the full roll.

BlasTech
03-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Very thorough.
How much weight are you adding?
Are you going to have to take it in to get the SRS reset?

2k2civicSi
03-11-2003, 10:30 PM
How hard was it to take the door apart?

Ocelaris
03-11-2003, 10:40 PM
doh... what exactly set that off? taking out the seats? I guess I will have to, unless somebody can tell me howto do it myself. I was wondering why that light came on...

The door was easy following paxie's instructions in his video. The hardest part was getting the damn back seats out... The key is the bolt inbetween the split in the seats... take that out, and then both just pop out...

BlasTech
03-11-2003, 10:47 PM
I think when the harnesses are unplugged, it is as if the airbags were deployed as far as the computer knows.

Someone mentioned a way to trip it for EKs, but the best way would be to take it in to have it reset.

-LAW-
03-15-2003, 02:26 PM
i have the same problem . SRS light is on all the time , when i put in my system i took off the seat wiring it .. i brought it to Honda Yesterday and they cant reset it , the tech said they have 4 programs but all of them didnt work .. so i have bring it back monday because they said they have to call the Honda hotline or something like that ... so hopefully it will get fix ...:(

golferjn
03-15-2003, 10:52 PM
nice pics

Suk02Si
03-16-2003, 03:01 AM
gutted looks cool:D I would've driven around like that for a few days before assembling everything back together.

Ocelaris
03-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Here's a pic of the speaker ring in the door... 1/2" MDF fits perfectly

Ocelaris
03-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Here is the wiring of the LEDs that run along the panels to the back, I untwisted a cat5 wire (solid 24gauge or 22?) and have the resistors and the LED holders hot glued in place... contrary to popular belief, hot glue guns are man's best friend :-)

Ocelaris
03-16-2003, 09:15 PM
here is how the LEDs look while off, just a translucent plastic cover drilled through the panels and hotglued in place.

Ocelaris
03-16-2003, 09:20 PM
here is a pic of both blue and red LEDs... I will take pics of what they look like in my car if anyone's interested, there is a seperate switch for each light next to the e-brake. ocelaris

fsugatorbait
03-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by LAW
i have the same problem . SRS light is on all the time , when i put in my system i took off the seat wiring it .. i brought it to Honda Yesterday and they cant reset it , the tech said they have 4 programs but all of them didnt work .. so i have bring it back monday because they said they have to call the Honda hotline or something like that ... so hopefully it will get fix ...:(

hey law keep us updated to the srs light situation...i have the same problem. I brought my car in last week for its scheduled maintenance and they couldnt reset the lighjt and said i had to reschedule so they could do a system check.

hamproof
03-18-2003, 12:00 PM
I followed the instructions here and it worked for me. Mine light came on coz' I disconnected the airbag plug on the steering column and started the engine.

Link to RE-SETTING SRS LIGHT (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=264288)

You don't have to buy the connector. I used a paperclip and it works. Helps to have 2 people doing it. One to tell you when light is flashing and the other plug and unplug the paperclip.

fsugatorbait
03-18-2003, 12:11 PM
The pictures arent coming up...would you be able to take some pics of the MES and where you plugged in the SCS?

IceD out N CALI
03-18-2003, 12:38 PM
thanks for the pics

hamproof
03-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Looks like 7thgenCivic server is down. Maybe try again later?

Basically, if you look at the fuse box under the dash, you'll see a yellow color connector. Kinda looks like an inverted T. Unplug this connector. Initially I thought I have to stick the paperclip into the space left by the connector :rolleyes: but it turns out I stick the paperclip into the connector itself.

The pictures aren't that helpful.

Edit: I found an alternate link.

Link to SRS Reset (http://members.cox.net/uf-gator/srs/srs_light_reset.html)

fsugatorbait
03-18-2003, 01:16 PM
excellent, thanks for the other link, pictures make it much clearer. have you heard anything about this causing any permanent damage to the system?

hamproof
03-18-2003, 01:27 PM
but I assume the SRS system is fool proof coz' it can safe life. I know my light came on because I disconnected the plug and started the engine, I know it is safe for me to reset the code. But if you tinkered with the wires etc. I would assume if you cause damage, even if you reset the light, the SRS system will run a diagnostic (each and every time you start your car and while you are driving) and will light up again if there's problem.

fsugatorbait
03-18-2003, 01:44 PM
yeah mine came on for the same reason...sounds good cant wait to turn that damn light off.

KickerSi
03-19-2003, 05:29 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PICS!!!!!
After putting in the brain for my tv that damn SRS hasn't gone away, now it has seen its final day HAHAHA

cmk05
03-21-2003, 08:12 AM
OCELARIS, how effective was the sound deadening?
for rough roads? concrete highways? wind noise? stereo sound?

I'd like to do the same. So you threw in ~ 50 sq ft of dynamat? where did it go? doors? roof? hatch?

Did you have any problems removing/ replacing panels - any broken clips?

What about the jute? Did you supplement the factory carpet padding?

Ocelaris
03-21-2003, 02:59 PM
OCELARIS, how effective was the sound deadening?

I would have to say on a scale of 1-10, 7 of my expectations, and if I had done the doors with jute a 8 or 9. The ride is significantly quieter, though I didn't have a subwoofer installed without the dampening, so it would be hard to tell, but there were ALOT of plastic pieces in the doors that seemed to be clanging around alot.

rough road? Well, I can't hear rocks hitting the bottom of my car anymore, so that in it's self accomplished my goal. Concrete and wind sheer were dramatically decreased as far as I can tell, I think the jute was the biggest bang for the buck. I layed jute down basically over the entire front half of the car, and all along the side panels. I ran out of time and didn't put any in the doors or in the spare wheel well, but I figured I can do those mods at a later time, as they're pretty easy to get to.

The Dynamat I used is actually grace ice and water shield, 100 square feet for ~60$ at a roofing place, I used half of it, and I only applied it to loose sheet metal, like the doors, and near the back speakers, and trunk... basically anywhere you have an inner and outer shell. Also probably it's biggest help was tying down all the plastic pieces in the doors and trunk. throw out those foam pieces attached to the plastic panels and cover the openings with that asphault stuff, makes a good barrier.

I really didn't have any broken panels except for the slide middle piece above the cup holders... which isn't a big deal. Take your time and only pull hard when you're positive there is a clip holding it in place... The middle bottom console (near the e-brake and power outlet) has no clips, it comes in and out with only screws, keep that in mind and you should avoid my mistakes.

Sound quality wise, sealing the door openings helped, I only have one slight rattle in the door, and I'm sure I can make that go away when I add the jute pieces to the door. Lemme know if you have any questions on howto remove specific pieces, my AIM should be on my profile. Ocelaris

Oh, and give yourself 3 full days, 1 to disassemble, 1 to sound deaden and run any wires, or other gadgets you want to do while your car's apart, and at least a day to put it back together... that's assuming 8 hour days... now that I know how things go together, it might take half that time, but don't push yourself, I'm still sick from working wednesday noon till thursday noon to get it back together in time for a trip upto NY. I'm sure a more capable person could do it in less time, but it is an ordeal, but I'm glad I did it early on in owning this vehicle.

cmk05
03-25-2003, 11:29 AM
for all that good advice.

With the nice weather and the start of golf season, I'm unsure if I'm willing to give up an entire weekend to soundproofing my car. Maybe I'll invest in a pair of earplugs instead.

But really, I'm a little hesitant of gutting my car because I'm worried I might end up with rattles in my effort to prevent them.

I think I'll order some new speakers and start off with those 4 panels before removing seats, headliners, center consoles, carpeting and stuff.

I'll keep you all posted.

siver-SI
03-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Just wondering I do not have side airbags but I do see the plugs under the seats for something so if I disconnect the seats from my car will my SRS light still come on?

Thanks

DownTheHatch
03-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
contrary to popular belief, hot glue guns are man's best friend :-)

Those and tie-wraps my friend.

Mugen_EP
03-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Just wondering I do not have side airbags but I do see the plugs under the seats for something so if I disconnect the seats from my car will my SRS light still come on?

Thanks

Yes it will if your battery is connected.

siver-SI
03-25-2003, 09:42 PM
so if I disconect the battery I sould be good then. I am thinking of doing some sound profing so this is all good to know. I am not sure if I am going to do it but I am thinking about it.

Ocelaris
03-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI

I don't have side airbags either, but when I unplugged them the SRS light came on... I unplugged a yellow and a clear(?) plug? two anyways, and the SRS light came on, but it was real easy following the directions given in this thread to reset the SRS light...

I just used a small paper clip, and shoved it in the holes where the metal contacts are, it doesn't make contact unless you "press down while holding the plug up" sorta pushing them in opposite directions. Like I held the plug in the palm of my hand with my pinkie and ring finger, and with my thumb was able to push the paper clip down or up at just the right moment, got it on the first try once I figured out the directions :) reading them first always helps...

If you don't want to gut your car, you can get 80% of the benefit without removing the back seats and back panels, which was most of the work. I would reccomend trying just putting some padding under the front carpet, back seats and doors, and that would take half the time, and be 80% of the sound proofing I did... I will be helping someone from these forums do his car in a couple weeks, maybe I'll take some better photos this time if anyone is interested in more. Ocelaris

Picture Caption: here's the Red LEDs turned on, installed in the back seat, sorry pictures just don't turn out at all in the dark... so had to use the flash.

03SiGuy
01-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
Hello, Today I spent all day gutting my EP3. Also added some asphault sheeting (dynamat like) and some jute, carpet padding for extra sound proofing. Thought I'd share some pics.

umm ok??? why did a picture of my car come up in this post about a car being gutted.the picture of my car is one that someone phtochopped for me with some rev model 2s in bronze. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=107074

Ocelaris
01-09-2004, 06:25 AM
It's a forums glitch. When I viewed the thread I got a picture of a sparco seat, which I know I never posted. Wonder where my pics went?

k20hatch
01-09-2004, 09:40 AM
HAHAHAHAHA well it sure did turn it into a funny post!! I enjoyed it!!

i-WERKS
01-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by k20hatch
HAHAHAHAHA well it sure did turn it into a funny post!! I enjoyed it!!

Same here. I thought it was pretty funny..
On the other note. I tried filling my windsheild yesterday and there was a leak.. Here i took a picture can anyone help me?

fsugatorbait
01-09-2004, 12:03 PM
:: raises hand ::

I got a plug that can stop that leak :*

k20hatch
01-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
:: raises hand ::

I got a plug that can stop that leak :*

Hahaha!!