PDA

View Full Version : whel hop and pop

dw735
03-12-2003, 12:17 AM
hey guys, well, i was launching and i got some mad wheel hop, while it was hopping, i heard a pop coming from the dravers side engine bay, anyone know where it might come from? thanks

chunky
03-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by dw735
hey guys, well, i was launching and i got some mad wheel hop, while it was hopping, i heard a pop coming from the dravers side engine bay, anyone know where it might come from? thanks

did the car stop running?

if it's a pop, it's usually an axle.

DoMahMeGok
03-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Stupid question, but What is wheel hop?
Thanks

chunky
03-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by DoMahMeGok
Stupid question, but What is wheel hop?
Thanks

generally speaking it's VIOLENT vibration of the front end of the car due to the freeplay allowed by the stock motor mounts. It results in a situation where the tires will literally hop off the ground as the torque comes in impulses rather than a smooth(er) delivery.

happens most often on low torque cars with grippy tires.

dw735
03-12-2003, 01:34 PM
oh the car ran fine the rest of the way home and it ran fine today. did not stop running at all. but the pop was more of a milder sound. like if it was a bolt or something. but i checked this morning and didnt find anything that snapped.

Dunrick
03-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Sometimes when your tire hits a rock, it can make a sort of popping sound....Like it through the rock out into your wheelwell area. When I was going 120 on the freeway I did that, It made the loudest sound I was like oh shit and just shut down and drove 70 heh.