PDA

View Full Version : Bought K24A1 swap...ready to drop!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Yea, last night i bought a K24A1 engine, and the CRV that goes along with it. ;)
I'm really thinking about swapping motors just for the hell of it.
162 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 rpm in a civic would be nice.
:D

http://members.aol.com/ephatch2003/crv1

Whatcha think?
$0 out of pocket and $300/ mo. lease.
Zero dollars, dealer even paid tags/reg/1st mo payment/gas.
Great deal considering most dealers won't go under sticker on the CRV because they sell out as soon as they arrive, if not before.
I got the car at Invoice.
Buyout after 4 years will be $11k.
Not bad for a car that holds over 70% of it's value in 5 years.
Sticker was just under $21k.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-12-2003, 07:50 AM
oh yea, i'm already searching for wheels...
i'm thinking Bronze...
only color i think will go with Mojave Mist...
cuz i'm not really into black...

IceD out N CALI
03-12-2003, 07:54 AM
congrats on the new ride;)

bioevolve
03-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Do it, I wanna see it done ;) Besides, if you blow up the motor you can always put it back in the CRV and take it to dealer to fix it hehehe

CivicHB
03-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the CRV and Element powertrains have a far less advanced VTEC and really don't deserve the "i".
The EP just barely deserves the "i" in front of it's vtec. Still a VTEC but not so smart. The TSX powertrian may be what your looking for if you want 166lbs of torque and a healthy i-vtec. A 2.4l civic hatchback @ 200hp...count me in.

ArcticBlueRsx
03-12-2003, 06:14 PM
i think hes thinking about doing a k20a frankenstein motor...2.4l crv block w/ a k20a/k20a2 head...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by ArcticBlueRsx
i think hes thinking about doing a k20a frankenstein motor...2.4l crv block w/ a k20a/k20a2 head...

nope...k24a1 turbo...
:angel:

Jpax
03-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Nice crv :)

iR-VTEC2
03-12-2003, 06:29 PM
holy apeshit batman!

Gibhunter
03-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by CivicHB
Correct me if I'm wrong but the CRV and Element powertrains have a far less advanced VTEC and really don't deserve the "i".
The EP just barely deserves the "i" in front of it's vtec. Still a VTEC but not so smart.

Ouch, so much misinformation in the above statements. Since you asked, I will correct you.

The CRV, Element and the Accord, have pretty much an identical engine as the Si and the base RSX, save for more displacement and intake manifolds.
The i in iVtec stands for VTC which advances or retards the intake camshaft up to 40 degrees in infinite number of positions improving power and lessening emissions. It's very similar to VVTi found in Toyotas, only difference is that the Toyota's system has only 30 degrees of moveent.

So, that takes care of the i in iVtec.

Now let's move on to Vtec. In the above mentioned cars, Vtec works only on the intake camshaft and what it does is, it closes one of the intake valves at lower RPMs to improve the swirl in the combustion chamber for better gas efficiency, more power and cleaner emissions at idle, in a traffic jam etc. At that point the engine acts like an advanced 12 valve 4 cylinder engine.
At around 2200RPM, the second valve is actuated to improve "breathing" at higher RPMs as at higher RPMs to only have one valve on the intake cam would hinder airflow.

That's all that Vtec does on our engines. That's why you don't feel or hear a Vtec change over like you would on the older Si, Prelude, Integra GSR, Type-R or RSX Type-S which have the performance version of vtec which at lower RPMs acts just like ours, but at higher RPMs changes the cam profile for higher valve lift and duration which improves "breathing" and gives you that noise and power you have come to expect from a Vtec engine.

So, in conclusion do we have Vtec? Yes we do, but it's much different than one found on the K20A2. Honda should have made a difference in naming schemes like Toyota did. Toyota's version of our engines is called VVTi while Toyota's version of a Type-S engine is called VVTLi where L stands for LIFT which our verion of Vtec lacks.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Ps. For pictures of our cams compared to Type-S cams, visit http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

DownTheHatch
03-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Thats for the info gib! I much better understand the system now.

K20NutBucket
03-13-2003, 10:23 AM
yeah......thats right. huh oh, got carried away. nice ride my wife has one but is blue. she wont let me do anything to it though. i figure i might but a cheap intake and put it on when shes not looking......sneaky sneaky.

golferjn
03-13-2003, 09:18 PM
congrats on the crv. nice car

SiR Medic
03-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Hmmm.... Swapping motors in a leased car sounds like a dangerous idea!

I like it!:D

You would end up with an Si that well melt its tires like crazy and a CRV that revs to 6800.:confused:

cj miller
03-14-2003, 06:06 PM
do that shit. dont be scared. worst comes to worst you get a cool fire works show.

StrangeShadow
03-14-2003, 10:55 PM
yeah......thats right. huh oh, got carried away. nice ride my wife has one but is blue. she wont let me do anything to it though. i figure i might but a cheap intake and put it on when shes not looking......sneaky sneaky.
lol, hopefully she's deaf, and wont notice the sound of the intake.

CleanBlackSi02
03-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Do the swap and report back to us!! That'd be killer.