PDA

View Full Version : eBay Rear Strut Bar

DownTheHatch
03-12-2003, 11:55 AM
This thing is just an all around great improvement in handling for the price, you can't beat it.

Price: 10
Quality: 8
Performance: 9
Weight: 8

hypnoj
03-13-2003, 07:18 PM
my ebay rear bar cost me $20 shipped. I honestly thought that it would be just for show. Much to my surprise I achieved performance; I really did. I used extensive before and after trials with different people, and all are agreed that handling and stability had improved (even the skeptics). Best $20 bucks I've ever spent.

kenis138
03-17-2003, 10:51 AM
I concur with the above reviews. Would rate a bit lower in the quality though, especially since you need a rubber mallet to get the brackets on

HondaMan
03-22-2003, 09:16 PM
I also concur with the above reviews. I would rate quailty lower since the brackets are not easy to install (a rubber mallet might have helped ;)).

mygirlhasaSI
03-24-2003, 01:19 PM
just got one in today for my gf's car, it fit perfect. 10 min install start to finish. definetly stiffened up the rear
-jonathan

LordKoo
04-06-2003, 11:51 PM
yeah... best $20 for performance. The car handles more neutral now. But it took me awhile because I drilled holes on the plastic covers.

chubbychu
04-07-2003, 12:02 AM
uhm....do they come with instructions? because...i would like to know if anyone had a hard time with any specific part....that way i wont have to learn by exp.

raiyo
04-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
uhm....do they come with instructions? because...i would like to know if anyone had a hard time with any specific part....that way i wont have to learn by exp.

No, they don't come with instructions. Pretty sure you can get enough info on ephatch. Some people had to drill the bracket/mounts, but I didn't have a problem with mine. I got mines from btnz on eBay. And no, I am not btnz and I am not getting any commisssion from advertizing for him/her. Just passing the info to others.

chubbychu
04-07-2003, 12:17 AM
thats where im getting mine tooo...but this particular one im getting is 5 bucks cheaper than all the other ones.....WHATS up with that? its making me suspicious. hehe its 7.99 rather than the 12.99

raiyo
04-07-2003, 12:24 AM
I got mines for 7.99 excluding shipping, nothing is wrong with it. Just alittle different from the picture. The picture has 3 bolt holes, but we only need two and mines came with only 2.

I think the reason of a price difference is because there are 2 sellers selling em. one for 12.99 and the other for 7.99. if i remember correctly, the person who is charging for 12.99 is also charging for in-state tax. so that gives u another reason to buy from the 7.99 one, which is btnz.

chubbychu
04-07-2003, 12:27 AM
but i did a search on his products...and he has them for the OTHer price too.....im scared because he has had some bad reviews. but other than that....yay:D

raiyo
04-07-2003, 12:48 AM
but i did a search on his products...and he has them for the OTHer price too.....im scared because he has had some bad reviews. but other than that....yay:D

I dunno what you are searching under, but I searched through "civic si" and I looked through all the pages (went through pretty fast) and a few strut bars. Btnz is selling theres for 7.99 and autobacs is selling for 12.50+tax. I can't find any 12.99 under Btnz. The picture in autobacs's auction is what I got when I won my bid through Btnz, it has 2 bolt holes. The pic in his auction has 3 bolt holes.

As for feedback on eBay. Hey, no one is perfect, a few bad feed here and there ain't that bad. I bought from him and it's cool, others her did also, no problem there. Only problem you might get is when the bar is shipped to you is that the bar might be damage since it only comes in a box with no foam, bubble, newspaper, etc. Only comes wrap in a 3-5mil plastic over the bar. Oh, lets not forget about shipping. People get lazy and delay alittle on shipping the item out. So if you aren't in a hurry on getting it then you should be okay. Well, besides the packing of the bar. You might can ask him to pack the box better.

If anymore questions, bring this over to PM

Here is what I found

btnz 7.99 price:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10040&goto=newpost
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2410431163&category=33591

autobacs 12.50 + tax
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2410143018&category=6767
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2410253063&category=6767

Suk02Si
04-07-2003, 01:27 AM
I felt no performance gain and after a quick run through my fav canyon the cheasy bar was tweaked. The mounts were slightly bent along with the bar itself. I threw the damn thing in hte trash.

todaCspec
04-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
I felt no performance gain and after a quick run through my fav canyon the cheasy bar was tweaked. The mounts were slightly bent along with the bar itself. I threw the damn thing in hte trash.

Let the truth be heard, that's some funny sh#t. On my other ride, after a car wash i'd use to hang my rags to dry on it.

Z26
04-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Any installed pics? I would like to see what it looks like in before I buy it.

raiyo
04-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Do a search next time, but here it is now.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6843&highlight=ebay

Z26
04-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks, that really helps. I think I will go buy one now. I thought it would be above the carpet like other hondas.

raiyo
04-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Z26
I thought it would be above the carpet like other hondas.

It could be on top or bottom, all depends on how you install it.

chubbychu
04-07-2003, 08:23 PM
hmm....im kinda worried about the material now after that other guys said his got messed up....after all....20 bucks? im getting second thoughts....how are all you other guyse's strutbars holding up?

raiyo
04-07-2003, 08:57 PM
hmm....im kinda worried about the material now after that other guys said his got messed up....after all....20 bucks? im getting second thoughts....how are all you other guyse's strutbars holding up?

It bends? Buy another for 20 bucks. Nothing is perfect, maybe the Suk02si had a bad one or he just pushes beyond what the bar can take?

If you are still scared, then add another "ben" to that 20 and get a better one. I don't race or do tracks, and I think it is good enough to me. If this one fails then I'll get another, but by then I'm pretty sure alot of people tired almost every bar that is on the market. I'll ask for people's opinion then.

Makross
04-07-2003, 09:43 PM
you get what you pay for

SoCaLep3
04-11-2003, 10:20 PM
man!! i acnt get the bolts off, im twisting and twisitng but it doesnt seem to be coming off.

raiyo
04-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by SoCaLep3
man!! i acnt get the bolts off, im twisting and twisitng but it doesnt seem to be coming off.

As the nut even moving? Are you sure you got the best fit sockets?

G-J
04-11-2003, 10:26 PM
LOL I saw that on Ebay but was hesitant... hell for $20 I might as well see what I come up with. I was saving for a mugen or a neuspeed, but oh hell if everyone but one had a problem with it, $20 wont kill me to try it out for myself. Thanks for the review!

SoCaLep3
04-11-2003, 10:40 PM
man... i wihs i knew what i was doing... I was twisting the 14 mm nut off that black thing... it came off... i had to use somthing to stick in that little hole on top... but when i took it off i dint know what to do so i just stopped

SoCaLep3
04-12-2003, 01:27 PM
finaly!! my ebay strut bar is in!!:D

raiyo
07-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Seeing it on eBay for the longest time, but didn't trust the product much until I did some reading here. After reading info on it and since it only cost 20 bucks, why not I say. The bar came in a empty box with only a plastic wrap over it, bad packaging. Can't expect alot since it is only 20 bucks. After installing the strut/tie of whatever people call it, the ride does feel stiffer. Not by a whole lot, but enough to feel that it is there.

Price: 10 - Twenty bucks? Can't beat it
Quality: 6 - I'm skinny and I can bend the bar.
Performance: 7 - Slightly improve ride when cornering.
Installion: 10 - I'm a beginner and it didn't take me long.

http://home.earthlink.net/~raiyo/car/ebayrsb.jpg

S2KplusSI
07-07-2003, 10:12 PM
I got mine for $24 shipped. Best bang for buck mod for the EP.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
07-08-2003, 07:19 AM
LordKoo yeah... best $20 for performance. The car handles more neutral now. But it took me awhile because I drilled holes on the plastic covers.

Did you make a template or how did your drill out the plastic covers? It drives me crazy not having that trim on my car... I am always affraid my newphew is going to snatch my covers from my room and break them.

DYI???:o

raiyo
07-08-2003, 07:11 PM
I just removed mine. I rather have it off than cut it. The reason is that you might mess up and make it look ugly. The other is that when you sell the car you don't have that empty cut spot.

Originally posted by 02NITEHAWKSi EP

Did you make a template or how did your drill out the plastic covers? It drives me crazy not having that trim on my car...
DYI???:o

Civicvtec1ps
07-08-2003, 07:19 PM
its very nice for price.
20 bucks

ecsahs3
09-18-2003, 09:48 PM
When you guys received yours, did the plastic wrap have a sticker that said "Civic 2001" with some product numbers?

raiyo
09-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ecsahs3
When you guys received yours, did the plastic wrap have a sticker that said "Civic 2001" with some product numbers?

mines didnt. just came in a huge long box where the bar has lots of space to move. bar was wrapped in a clear plastic wrap, with no sticker.

ecsahs3
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Dang. Sucks because I also bought the 4 piece kit for my CRX and they are labeled with different years too.

ecsahs3
09-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, I tried to install my bar but it did not fit. The holes are a tad too narrowly spaced. I emailed autobacs (ebay id name) and they want me to go to the extent of trying to reinstall the bar and take pictures to send to them. I responded with, "You can't be serious". Bastards. I know a few may not have the quality or manufacturer defects, but it bugs me they want me to go to this extent. Just let me ship it back.

Civicvtec1ps
09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ecsahs3
Well, I tried to install my bar but it did not fit. The holes are a tad too narrowly spaced. I emailed autobacs (ebay id name) and they want me to go to the extent of trying to reinstall the bar and take pictures to send to them. I responded with, "You can't be serious". Bastards. I know a few may not have the quality or manufacturer defects, but it bugs me they want me to go to this extent. Just let me ship it back.
those should fit eventhough it says 2001 civic. we have almost identical suspension setup. just make bigger holes . trim that with dremel tool and put it on. no biggie.

PinkMilk
09-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I also bought one on ebay weeks ago i finally got it friday and installed it today. i was almost about to throw it away!! like several other people mentioned the brackets are a bitch to put on.. i honestly thought the hardest part would be taking the housing of the trunk apart.. but that turned out to be easy and he install of the bar itself a real pain.. took me and a friend a few hours.. ended up using a hammer and trying to bore out one of the holes on the end of the bar to make it fit.. since we had such a hard time getting the brackets to fit we tried several different ways and unscrewed the brackets from the bar to try and make it easier... DO NOT TRY THIS.. THEY STRIP VERY EASILY.. JUST FROM TAKING IT ON AND OFF MAYBE 2 OR 3 TIMES... once we finally got everything on one end of the bar wouldnt go back into the hole and we just force it in with a hammer and screwed it alitte its tight... but i really wonder if it will stay or end up popping out... i had strut bars on my other cars and never had soo much trouble... price is good.. but thats it..

chubbychu
09-30-2003, 10:05 PM
hmm just an update on mine....i looked at the nuts that are supposed to keep the bar in place. The nuts that come immediately after the big bar. and they were way not in place..im not sure if they were just vibrated out..or if the inside of the bar is being stripped little by little...either way, if this thing breaks...:::sigh::: itll be a pain

downhil
12-24-2003, 09:17 PM
10 minute install. some of you guys must be retarded.:rolleyes:

BlackNRedSi
12-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by downhil
10 minute install. some of you guys must be retarded.:rolleyes:

what should i search for on ebay for this rear strut?

styllinep3
12-25-2003, 09:55 AM
yeah for the money this thing is great . i got the autobachs one.

had it since april. no signs of bending, like we have been told it would do . i drive very spritedly to . like sqealing tires around curves. i noticed a improvment right away. fitment wasnt the best but, thats what modding is about IMO. anyway im sure theres better but, for the price u just cant beat it.

oh eric t search under 02 civic si . there a couple on like 7.95 buy it now i beleive.

gabe

seandwd
12-26-2003, 08:06 PM
I was so surprised at the difference the eBay rear strut bar made. Mine bolted on with no problems. I love it.