PDA

View Full Version : Right way to clean under the hood?

cbecker333
03-12-2003, 05:18 PM
my shit is sooooo dirty under there! Whats the right way? I dunno if I should use soap or what kind? Or just a couple damp rags and some water? help! I want to clean the whole thing...every surface, every hose...all of it...I'll probably be disconnecting the battery for this operation.

JLannoo
03-12-2003, 05:24 PM
I just go down to the local quarter wash and hose it down with water. I'm not real picky though as long as its not filthy.

r3p00c
03-12-2003, 05:36 PM
I have a few rags that are strictly for getting the wet dirt off of the door jambs, hatch area, and engine bay. I do the engine bay last with that same rag; then the rag is damp enough by the time I get to the engine bay to wipe everything clean. Hope this helps. :)

Mugen_EP
03-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Use WD-40 on all the hoses and on the valve cover. It makes everything look like new & if you have a red valve cover it looks so dark and evil, really nice.;)

chet
03-12-2003, 05:45 PM
I forget who suggested it, but I bought some Simple Green cleaner at Wallyworld for like 5 bucks. Works great. Might want to dilute it a little bit.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
03-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I just use a wet rag. Most of the dirt is loose dirt anywayz. HTH.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by RiCeCoOkEr1280
I just use a wet rag. Most of the dirt is loose dirt anywayz. HTH.

yup as long as you dont let the "dirt" build up into "grime", then you'll need some simple green and a moist rag...
stay away from the wd-40, it will only collect more dust because it is oily and the dirt will stick to it...
just get it clean and dry...

ps: i dunno y but under the hood of my ep is almost just as clean as the day i bought it...6k mi later...strange...

Loudpedal
03-12-2003, 08:32 PM
I second the Simple Green. While I haven't used in on my EP, I use it all the time on my motorcycle. It's amazing at getting dirt, brake dust, oily goop, and bugs off virtually everything (when used with a sponge). I'm sure if I lifted my hood there would be a shovel full of salt and sand under there. Personally, I plan on hosing the engine room down once winter departs.

BSEVEER
03-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Be careful with the simple green. Try not to get on your fenders etc. if you don't dilute it enough it will streak your paint. :(