PDA

View Full Version : VTEC pressure switch failure

Black 02 SI
03-13-2003, 03:18 PM
I had been noticing my car hesitates badly when shifting hard. I took it to the shop and they ran a diognostic check it came up with vtec failure, they replaced the pressure switch, it runs like a champ now. gotta take it back to the track hopefully I will pull better than a 15.6 now. anyone else have this problem?

BlairSpeed
03-13-2003, 03:38 PM
No, I havent had any problems yet but I noticed in your signature that you also have a 99 SI. Which SI do you think is faster? I know we have debated this way too much but I want to know what you think since you own both. :cool:

Black 02 SI
03-13-2003, 04:53 PM
well as of now, my 2000 is def faster, but only because it has more work done to it, i/h/e vtec contoller. but as far as when it was stock I think my ep is quicker off the line, but the 2000 is faster up top, only because I don't have to shift as quick in the 2000 because of the 8k redline, my 2002 wants to keep going but I have to shift it. as I start to do more work to my 02 I think it will be faster than my 2000 no doubt, and since I got the solenoid fixed it pulls way harder, helps to have vtec work properly I think.

taikahn
03-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
I had been noticing my car hesitates badly when shifting hard. I took it to the shop and they ran a diognostic check it came up with vtec failure, they replaced the pressure switch, it runs like a champ now. gotta take it back to the track hopefully I will pull better than a 15.6 now. anyone else have this problem?

how much hesitation ??? I get slight pauses before pull in some gears ... not often but occasionally... like the car is thinking about shifting but not gassing it yet... even though Im flooring it... almost feels like when you start to run out of gas... does this sound like the same issue you experienced?

glw
03-13-2003, 06:09 PM
taikahn - mine does exactly the same thing... especially in second after a shift from first. it bogs...but there are plenty of rpms...

jason
03-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Mines is hesitating as well especially when I go from 1st to 2nd gear. I just figured it was because I'm shifting to early in the rpm range. Now I'm wondering?

civicSIracer
03-13-2003, 06:55 PM
ya.. ive noticed the same thing.. mine is doing it too.. i will be flooring it.. only in 1st and 2nd, and it will feel like it lost a split sec of power and then it kicks back in.. its nothing big but i was wondering what it was.. do you think it could be that vtec pressure thing??damn.. i was wondering if anyone else has that prob and got it checked out by honda..

cbecker333
03-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by jason
Mines is hesitating as well especially when I go from 1st to 2nd gear. I just figured it was because I'm shifting to early in the rpm range. Now I'm wondering?

What RPM do you shift at? Don't expect to get good power under about 2400 rpm...no matter how much gas you give her

fsugatorbait
03-14-2003, 08:59 AM
mine has done the same thing since day one...it hesitates between 1st and 2nd gear at almost any rpm under 5k...damn, i had her in the shop yesterday for minor maintenance.

siep
03-14-2003, 09:36 AM
well as of now, my 2000 is def faster, but only because it has more work done to it, i/h/e vtec contoller. but as far as when it was stock I think my ep is quicker off the line, but the 2000 is faster up top, only because I don't have to shift as quick in the 2000 because of the 8k redline, my 2002 wants to keep going but I have to shift it. as I start to do more work to my 02 I think it will be faster than my 2000 no doubt, and since I got the solenoid fixed it pulls way harder, helps to have vtec work properly I think.

What did the diagnostic scan tool say when you found out the VTEC solenoid was bad?

chunky
03-14-2003, 10:38 AM
did your engine throw a code? My engine has been doing some wierd stuff that i've been told might be related to the vtec or VTC pressure something or another, but that the engine would throw a code if something really were wrong.

My ecu didn't store a code, therefore nothing was done about it.

:(

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-14-2003, 12:57 PM
same issue here...
don't know if it's really a "problem" or not...
but it happens to my car pretty often, but not always...
whether i'm granny shifting, quick shifting, doesnt' matter...
it's just a slight : pause : before the power kicks in, between shifts.
almost like a minor misfire, it falls on it's face for a split second.

seems like a common occurence w/ alot of people here...
i never mentioned it cuz it doesnt really bother me...
but if it gets worse it sure will...
under 6 k miles here, has done this since day one...

fsugatorbait
03-14-2003, 01:39 PM
sounds like we need a honda tech's advice on this one...id imagine since everyone has this "problem" its probably not something wrong or that can be helped, just something we have to deal with...however, it still would be helpful to find out why its happening and maybe there is something honda can do.

taikahn
03-14-2003, 01:40 PM
hmmmm...

so DO our descriptions sound like your original issue?

or are we all expecting to much from the ep...

Black 02 SI
03-16-2003, 03:48 PM
yeah it through a code, I took it in to the shop, and the computer came up with vtec failure code. we narrowed it down to the vtec pressure switch. to make a long story short, the pressure switch is run by oil pressure. we check the oil, it had less than a quart in it. filled the oil up after about 10 miles or lesss, no more hesitation. my car had about 8500 miles on it when this happened, the mechanic said fuck the 10k miles break in oil change, change it every 3500 miles about. so if you have the hesitation check your oil before you do anything else. if it still does it take it to the shop, and have a diagnostic check run on it.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-16-2003, 05:19 PM
yeah it through a code, I took it in to the shop, and the computer came up with vtec failure code. we narrowed it down to the vtec pressure switch. to make a long story short, the pressure switch is run by oil pressure. we check the oil, it had less than a quart in it. filled the oil up after about 10 miles or lesss, no more hesitation. my car had about 8500 miles on it when this happened, the mechanic said fuck the 10k miles break in oil change, change it every 3500 miles about. so if you have the hesitation check your oil before you do anything else. if it still does it take it to the shop, and have a diagnostic check run on it.

wow, you went 8500 miles w/o changing your oil?
and you didn't even check the level?
:eek: