PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Change the Tranny Fluid?

fASTBACK
03-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Has anyone changed their tranny fluid by themself? I bought some fluid from Honda and can't find out how to. Is it better just to let them do it? How much will they charge if I already have the oil? I really want to do this myself though. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advanced.:)

sonic imperial
03-14-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure how to do it because I don't like working on newer model cars, but Honda changed mine out at the last service interval. It cost me $50 but I wanted it done to see if some of the notchiness would go away. So far it's about the same but with the warmer weather this past week, it's starting to shift right. In fact I've gone several days without that grinding sound from 1st to 2nd.

Cone Killer
03-14-2003, 03:26 PM
There is a bolt that fits an empty socket wrench on the tranny that you open to drain the fluid. Then you use a funnel with a long tub attached to it to pour the fluid back in.

fASTBACK
03-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer
There is a bolt that fits an empty socket wrench on the tranny that you open to drain the fluid. Then you use a funnel with a long tub attached to it to pour the fluid back in.

YEAH!!! I saw that bolt when I was under my car trying to figure it out. So I would take that bolt out to let it drain than put the oil back in through the same hole. How does this make sense? Wouldn't the oil come back out from that hole? I read some where that you know when the correct amount of oil is in the tranny when it starts leaking fom a bolt that would be removed. Is this that bolt?

Cone Killer
03-14-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by fASTBACK
I read some where that you know when the correct amount of oil is in the tranny when it starts leaking fom a bolt that would be removed. Is this that bolt?

Yes, that's the bolt.

fASTBACK
03-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

Yes, that's the bolt.

Sorry, but I still don't understand. So I put fluid back into the drain hole with a funneled tube that I just drained the old fluid from. Won't the new fluid just come back out of the drain hole. Is there another bolt that I have to remove to check the correct fluid level? If the bolt that I am removing suppose to drain the old fluid. How is the new fluid going to stay in there?

Cone Killer
03-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Ok...I understand your confusion. There are two bolts to deal with. The bolt that the socket fits inside of is the drain bolt. Then there is another larger bolt higher up on the tranny that is the fill point.

chunky
03-15-2003, 07:50 PM
as mr. killer said, there are two bolts.

one is the drain bolt, accepts a 3/8" square socket head. the other is the fill bolt, a bit higher up, and is a relatively large bolt, I forgot the size.

make sure you can break the FILL bolt before you drain anything. The fill bolt is sometimes stuck on there really good, so unless you have a 2ft breaker bar or arms like ahhnuld, don't even bother.

Once the fill bolt is off, take off the drain bolt - which is also a pain.

I strongly suggest using new crush washers when doing the tranny fluid change - they ensure the bolts don't get over torqued by accident which makes for easier removal.

CSMsi311
03-15-2003, 09:11 PM
thanks for everyone's replies. i may also try doing this on my 99 si.

Jason

JBS02
03-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeah, definitely try to use a long break bar when busting these two bolts free. I was able to do it with a 3/8" drive rachet and extension, but hurt my wrist when it broke loose.

CSMsi311
03-16-2003, 07:51 PM
when i put my header on i bought a metal pipe and slide it over the handle of my rachet. Worked really well and was a lot cheaper($1.50) than a breaker bar. And the pipe was a lot easier on the palm than my rachet

Just a thought
Jason

Junior_r
03-17-2003, 04:13 AM
here http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/transfluid/transfluid.php

fASTBACK
03-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys for your help. Im gonna attempt this later on this week.