PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk suspension!

Dr. Design
03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Hello,
We have noticed through various forums that there are a few misconceptions about handling, and what makes a car handle well.

For starters....
"If I lower my car will it handle better?"
- Of course it will handle better then it would stock because you are lowering the cars center of gravity. You are basically placing the cars weight between the tires versus on top of the tires.

"Will my car handle better if I get better tires?"
- Yes, your car will handle better if you get a better grade of tire. A softer compound and a wider tire will keep the car planted through turns. Ideally you would like the widest footprint you can obtain without loosing clearance.

"What size rim is the best for handling?"
- Motor trend did a study for this a while ago, when manufactures were coming out with factory cars that had 18" wheels. The study showed the best results were obtained using 17" wheels. Second were 18

mrfixit687
03-17-2003, 03:05 PM
very nice, stiky this :)

lewjay
03-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Come on now.... give us some news on your products...please.

I'm this close in getting neuspeed's x-brace and strut bars.

Jpax
03-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Dr design or Carbing..... Hummm.. looks like it might come down to price.. :)

Thanks for clearing up some things .. this is very good information.

todaCspec
03-18-2003, 06:35 AM
A very stiff chassis is very good for the track, but not for everyday driving. Especially when you've got potholes and uneven pavement to drive on and brake on. Your will get all kind of squeaky noises over a period of time.

tkm
03-18-2003, 01:43 PM
This is a nice general FAQ, but some things are rather generic and cannot be applied to every situation. However, I have an issue with this:

[i]"What size rim is the best for handling?"
- Motor trend did a study for this a while ago, when manufactures were coming out with factory cars that had 18" wheels. The study showed the best results were obtained using 17" wheels. Second were 18

hopeful_si
03-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Sorry if i am just stupid but what does "CSK-C" stand for??

Dr. Design
03-18-2003, 03:54 PM
We agree with some points that you have. However tires are certainly another topic that is huge! There are SO many variables that have to be taken into account.
You have two ways to look at this.
Given that all the tested tires are the same width and same rubber compound. You simply comedown to the size of the sidewall. Depending on the structure of the sidewall, it will determine what would make the best size tire & wheel combination. So say if the sidewall is designed to have a certain amount of roll or give to it at 15" vs. 17". If there is less sidewall flex at 17" vs. 15" logic would tell us that the 17" is better right?
This would be a great test to conduct using these parameters. Unfortunately there are more variables then just the ones that are mentioned.
This is a generalized FAQ. Ofcourse there are variables that could be added into these questions. The original thread would be horribly long!!
Please let us know if there are any other topics or suggestions.
Thank you,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tkm
[B]This is a nice general FAQ, but some things are rather generic and cannot be applied to every situation. However, I have an issue with this:

[i]"What size rim is the best for handling?"

Dr. Design
03-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Chassis Stiffening Kit (CSK-C)

Originally posted by hopeful_si
Sorry if i am just stupid but what does "CSK-C" stand for??

02SilverSiHB
03-18-2003, 05:45 PM
yeap, I like this post :)

BlasTech
03-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Design

Please let us know if there are any other topics or suggestions.
Thank you,

Poly Urethane bushings:

I saw Energy Suspension products the other day on the shelf at pep boys. I've heard good things about Energy.

More Details?

lewjay
03-18-2003, 08:09 PM
the ones at pepboys are universal and won't fit exactly. You'll want the exact part for our car. The deal is ES as a company is pretty fucken flakly so it may be hard to get the bushings. If you want bushings go for nuespeed or be creative.

BTW any news on the strutbars?????

Dr. Design
03-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Hello,
We are actually working closely with energy suspension right now. We are in the process of doing some fitment testing with them for application specific components. I dont know of a release date for them but they are taking care of the EP3.

The more you can eliminate bushing deflection the better off you will be. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Originally posted by BlasTech

Poly Urethane bushings:

I saw Energy Suspension products the other day on the shelf at pep boys. I've heard good things about Energy.

More Details?

raiyo
06-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey, Dr. Design, haven't heard from you so..... long. What'sup with your product?

Dr. Design
06-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Hello All,
We are certainly getting closer. We have finally completed our XCB-C for the EP3 (which are for sale now). Next up is the completion of the FSTB-C and the ICB-C's. We appreciate everyone sticking by us as we make this transition. We will certainly give you all a great price when we release it.

We would like to start a list of those who are interested in getting the CSK-C when it comes out. The reason is so we can be sure to include a free T-Shirt for those who have been waiting.
YES, the shirt does include a pic of an EP3!

We will make a formal post for those who are interested in getting on the waiting list. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

Suk02Si
06-06-2003, 12:39 AM
I'm waiting for everything to be released so I can buy it as a whole.

:)

But I'm definately in.

dofu
06-06-2003, 04:48 AM
hey...Dr. Design...i've heard that low profile tires will help performance because they can't "lean" as you corner as much as normal tires...is this true? and also...are you planning on makin a cross brace at all? i currently have a neuspeed x-brace because no one else makes them, and in all honesty, they seem pretty flimsy to me. and if you are planning on making a real cross brace...how about one for the rear too? and how about making one out of something that doesn't feel like plastic (like neuspeed's)?

Suk02Si
06-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Yeah they're making an X-brace. I have the Neuspeed also; My ass came around one me in a turn once, I went offroading and scraped up the Neuspeed one prety bad. Its not even straight anymore:(

chubbychu
06-06-2003, 10:41 AM
did they ever come out with a front strut bar that attaches to the firewall?

siver-SI
07-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Ok is there a new Xbrace out? I was going to get the one from Nuespeed but if it seems bad then I might hold off. Also yea has a fire wall strut bar come out yet?

George Knighton
07-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
did they ever come out with a front strut bar that attaches to the firewall?

The EP3 is so much stiffer than the DC2, out of the box, that I'm surprised that there's any talk at all of adding strut bar braces.

There's so much I'd do before I even considered having to have a stiffer EP3 chassis.

siver-SI
07-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by George Knighton

The EP3 is so much stiffer than the DC2, out of the box, that I'm surprised that there's any talk at all of adding strut bar braces.

There's so much I'd do before I even considered having to have a stiffer EP3 chassis.

I am doing my suspnetion work now because I want to leave the engine alone for a little while. My car only has 3400 miles on it so I just do not want to do engine mods yet. I like a stiff car with just a little loose when I really push it. Right now I think the car has to much body role. That is why I got new springs with a 1.5" drop and I want to upgrade with braces and maybe a new larger rear bar.

George Knighton
07-20-2003, 07:48 AM
OK.

IMHO, if you don't mind my saying so, you are wasting money that you might save for your bigger project.

:)

siver-SI
07-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Yea and no because I am going to have to buy the stuff anyways. I am looking at adding a turbo and want to get my car on a few road tracks so I am going to need to upgrades for the road tracks anyways. All I want left is a d3 designs kit, a larger rear sway bar, new shocks, and tires and rims. After that I think I am done. I also want to get a engine dampener and poly motor mounts before I add the turbo. I will be taking my car to the track before the turbo.

George Knighton
07-20-2003, 07:57 AM
OK. It's your money. :)

But the suspension cross braces will not help with what you're trying to improve, and it's money spent that you could've saved for more worthwhile improvements.

If you want to experience a chassis that needs tower braces, you should borrow a DC2 ITR. :)

dofu
07-20-2003, 05:04 PM
actually, i noticed a huge improvement on steering itself after i installed the neuspeed cross brace on my ep, not to mention the improvent of feel...a well spent hundred if you ask me...it just rides a little low after a 2" drop...i feel the crossbrace hit the floor everytime i shift hard.

Suk02Si
07-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by dofu
actually, i noticed a huge improvement on steering itself after i installed the neuspeed cross brace on my ep, not to mention the improvent of feel...a well spent hundred if you ask me...it just rides a little low after a 2" drop...i feel the crossbrace hit the floor everytime i shift hard.

I didn't feel a diff with the Neuspeed brace.

If anything, you will have more understeer becuase its getting rid of the flex in the chassis which was actually giving you slightly more traction up front.

Like George said, this car is stiffer to begin with. Maybe thats why I didn't feel a difference with the X brace :o