PDA

View Full Version : anyone grind their 3rd or 2nd gears?

SiGirlNamedSong
03-17-2003, 06:13 PM
i dont know what it is... but my 3rd gear grinds often. not all the time, but OFTEN. my 2nd gear grinds too sometimes. :(
do u think its my driving?

fishboy
03-17-2003, 06:18 PM
might be the driving but some people here have had bad tranny problems, grinding and shit. take it to the dealer if it isnt your driving.

David K.
03-17-2003, 11:35 PM
My third gear grinds all the time now, I think I need new syncros or something. I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. I consider myself a fairly good stick driver with plenty of experience, but I've had continous trouble with my shifter as far as grinding goes, usually on the 1-2 and/or 2-3 upshift. It's also pretty notchy, not always wanting to slide smoothly into gear from neutral. When it works, it works great, but I feel like Honda could have put a little more R&D into this setup.

ep88
03-18-2003, 12:37 AM
that happens to me too when the engine is still cold:o

SiGirlNamedSong
03-18-2003, 02:33 PM
omg. for a minute i thought i was the only one. i got scared but now im kinda relieved. i guess i should take it back to the dealer

Slainte
03-18-2003, 03:12 PM
i learned how to drive stick on my ep, and the only trouble i've had is with 1st. i find that it helps to double clutch first gear. other than that, i've only felt minimal notchiness. I've driven other sticks, but i've never had one as a daily driver, so i only have minimal reference...

Slainte

toe knee
03-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SiGirlNamedSong
i dont know what it is... but my 3rd gear grinds often. not all the time, but OFTEN. my 2nd gear grinds too sometimes. :(
do u think its my driving?

hahhaha!!! Its your driving Song:D :'( j/k no my car had that same problem (3rd) just take it back to the dealer and they will fix it free of charge. Is your dog still pooping everywhere?:confused:

SiGirlNamedSong
03-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by azn_supa_star01

hahhaha!!! Its your driving Song:D :'( j/k no my car had that same problem (3rd) just take it back to the dealer and they will fix it free of charge. Is your dog still pooping everywhere?:confused:

maaaan i have toooo much to fix on my car. the gear grinding problem, my seats have seat belt wear, and omg i wanna take it back and get a new engine. hahaha i dunno :(
and yea my puppies are shittin everywhere still. but they live in the backyard now :/

2k2civicSi
03-18-2003, 11:12 PM
im sick of this shit mine is really bad 1st to 2nd every time

ArcticBlueRsx
03-19-2003, 01:31 AM
your synchos could possibly be worn out or your just not shifting right...for the notchiness you can solve that by simply switching the tranny fluids...lots off people have been switching to Redline tranny oil and the grinding/notchiness has disappeared...I would still take the car in to the dealer to have them check it out though...for those w/ their tranny's grinding dont worry...rsx-s owners and s2k owners have the same problem =)
oh...and to be sure that your synchros are the problem...if everytime you shift no matter how hard at whatever rpm and it grinds..then the synchros have gone bad

SiGirlNamedSong
03-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ArcticBlueRsx
your synchos could possibly be worn out or your just not shifting right...for the notchiness you can solve that by simply switching the tranny fluids...lots off people have been switching to Redline tranny oil and the grinding/notchiness has disappeared...I would still take the car in to the dealer to have them check it out though...for those w/ their tranny's grinding dont worry...rsx-s owners and s2k owners have the same problem =)
oh...and to be sure that your synchros are the problem...if everytime you shift no matter how hard at whatever rpm and it grinds..then the synchros have gone bad

thanks for the advice i just might end up changin to that redline tranny fluid. but yeaa i still needa take it in

siver-SI
03-19-2003, 08:48 PM
I have to say I have only ground a gear once and I think that was my bad but anyways I have to say when it is cold I have a hard time shifting mostly to first gear. I am thinking of taking it to my dealer about it. When the car warms up it does get better and will shift like a knife to hot butter but then all of a sudden it will get very stiff again to shift. I have no idea what is causing it bit living up in northern IL I do not think the temps are helping out much. It is just some times trying to shift up to first is just a pain even when warm or cold.

Mugen Power
03-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah, it happens to me on and off, doesn't matter which gear either, but usually 3-4 or 4-3 is the smoothest for me. Kinda pisses me off that it's like that but can't take it to the dealer yet in case they have to replace something cuz I can't do without a car.

Oh, and BTW, I don't consider these "grinds." I reserve that for when you hear that wretched sound like when someone speed shifts. :)

But yeah, I get that notchy feeling.

ArcticBlueRsx
03-20-2003, 01:06 AM
what you guys are describing is the tranny being notchy....theres not much you can do about it..you can bring it into the dealer and unless its grinding like "SiGirlNamedSong"s they'll say theres nothing wrong with it..like i said before...to get rid of the notchiness, just wait till you have a couple more thousand miles on the car...roughly around 8k and change the tranny fliuds to Redline and the notchiness should go away...adding a short shifter might help..but im not too sure w/ the ep's dash mounted shifter...oh..and i have 13k on my rsx-s..havent changed my tranny fluid yet (i procrastinate hardcore when it comes to these things lol) and when my car is cold (im in sunny cal btw) 1st is super duper notchy but once it warms up it shifts like butter.....

SiR_d1
04-18-2003, 07:09 PM
what a sign of relief.
I also have that same problem, so i guess its just a ep thing that everycar has. almost everyone w/ the ep has this same problem so i dont even think about it anymore.

LordKoo
04-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Mine does that too, first to second, third to fourth. Spoke to my Honda mechanic, he said EP3 does have history of sycros problem. So just bring your baby EP3 for a swap of new set of sycros! I simply can't find to do that! :(

sniperSI
04-19-2003, 03:40 AM
When i'm driving hard, and do that 2nd to 3rd gear shift, i slam it and there is a very very slight grind, i think it sounds cool cause it's like..

<imagine the move snatch, and the cut aways>

Clutch...

... Slam into 3rd...

... 3rd mini grind...

... Engage...

...SI Engine roar.

Quite ear pleasing but i'm sure not gear pleasing.

gtaSiR
04-20-2003, 06:11 AM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones... my gears have never grinded, it's just like butter in every gear. Now after saying that, I just need to knock on wood.

sniperSI
04-20-2003, 08:36 AM
it's all about the powe shifting.

sonic imperial
04-21-2003, 06:39 AM
When I rev past 4k before shifting, it doesn't grind 99.9% of the time. Low revs + fast shift = grind almost every time. So I just rev higher now.

ArcticBlueRsx
04-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Mine does that too, first to second, third to fourth. Spoke to my Honda mechanic, he said EP3 does have history of sycros problem. So just bring your baby EP3 for a swap of new set of sycros! I simply can't find to do that! :(
Dumb Honda's...like i've said earlier...S2k's grind, rsx-s grind, Si's grind....Honda needs to solve these damn problems...

ArcticBlueRsx
04-22-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Dumb Honda's...like i've said earlier...S2k's grind, rsx-s grind, Si's grind....Honda needs to solve these damn problems...

When I rev past 4k before shifting, it doesn't grind 99.9% of the time. Low revs + fast shift = grind almost every time. So I just rev higher now.
Uh...isnt it usually the other way around? fast revs, decent speed shift=grind....drive slow, shift slow=no grind, even w/ f'd up synchros

Glix2
04-22-2003, 12:08 AM
I've had a 1st to 2nd grind since day one. It's mostly an issue when shifting at redline. 3k to 8k miles it did it and then it went away. Now it's been doing it again since about 14k and i'm at 15.8k now.

If I'm not mistaken the issue with my car is letting out the clutch the shifter feels like it's in gear and then I let out the clutch and it grinds like a mother, I have to push the clutch back in and force 2nd to engage. Happens about once every couple weeks and only when I shift at redline, every other gear is fine.

sonic imperial
04-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by ArcticBlueRsx

Uh...isnt it usually the other way around? fast revs, decent speed shift=grind....drive slow, shift slow=no grind, even w/ f'd up synchros

True, it usually is. What I'm talking about is if I rev to 3k and shift it just seems to clunk or grind more often. When I accelrate quickly and rev past 4k, it goes into 2nd gear much smoother. I don't know why that is but I've found that to be the best way to avoid most of the rough shifts in my car.