PDA

View Full Version : Question about stopping production on the Si?!

Woodster
03-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Well ive heard a few times on this board that they make the Si the last two years in the current generation of the civic. I hope this isnt true becasue im plannin on gettin a civic si in like 2 years(its a long time i know, but its just that i dont have my license for 2 years). I used to hate the look of the si but now im in love with it. So could some body answer my question. Are they going to stop the production on the si for another 2 or 3 years?

BlazeX12
03-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Yes, but by then there will be a new Si.

Woodster
03-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Think it will be a hatch? I really love the look of the hatch but i also wouldnt mind the look of the previous years Si's. And if they look like the coupe model from like 98 and 99 then people would be buying them so dealers wouldnt be markin them down really low. I guess its ok, Ive got wayyyyyyy than enough money to pay for a Civic Si, even if its 25k, im not braggin(even though it sounded like i was)

EPHatchgirl
03-17-2003, 08:35 PM
ANYONE- correct me if I am wrong-
All civic SI's were hatchbacks until the 6th generation SI's came out (those lovely blue coupes), so chances are, they made the switch once, must've decided it didn't work, and switched back to the hatchback.

SO--- here's hoping, because if I keep driving my SI the way I am now, I'll be in the market for a new one by then...;) ;) Don't worry, I baby my EP, but it's so fun to "play" in.

Woodster
03-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Alrgiht, so you figure in 2005 they will have new Si's?

Surprise
03-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Woodster
I really love the look of the hatch but i also wouldnt mind the look of the previous years Si's. And if they look like the coupe model from like 98 and 99 then people would be buying them so dealers wouldnt be markin them down really low.

Any new Honda will not look like the ones from 98 and 99!:mad: They might have some common themes but never go back to an earlier model!

Chrisbgft
03-18-2003, 11:24 AM
when i bought my EP. Everyone there told me that they were told by honda that this style si would be around for a gaurunteed 5 years

IceD out N CALI
03-18-2003, 11:40 AM
yeah, this generation of civics will run through the 2005 model year. whelther or not the si continues with it is another question.

AlBlueCar
03-18-2003, 01:08 PM
HEY! Maybe in 2005 will get the type R! That way, Honda could have a car thats faster than the S2000, the RSX-S, and Is more expensive than any Civic ever has been. People will happily pay 25,000 + for a Civic, don't you think???

SARCASMSARCASMSARCASMSARCASMSARCASMSARCASM :rolleyes:

SiR Medic
03-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Given Honda's 5-year product cycle: Expect a new Civic sedan and (maybe) coupe in 2006. The Si should follow the year after.

As far as coupe or hatchback... Honda could very well get rid of the coupe body style for the Civic completely for '06. Other car companies are abandoning the 2-door coupe, so why not Honda?

Hopefully Honda will keep the hatchback though. Hatches are finally getting popular again with cars like the New Beetle, Mini Cooper, and Mazda Protege 5.

For some reason, Hatchbacks got a "downmarket" rep for years. Now, car makers like Saab, GM, Mitsubishi, and Toyota have dropped their former hatches in favor of sedans and coupes. Even Honda started selling a Civic coupe in '93.

Hatchbacks are making a comeback though... Especially now that Generation X and Generation Y are realizing that hatchbacks offer better rear headroom and better cargo room in a more efficient package.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the next Civic was a five door wagon like the Matrix.

hamproof
03-18-2003, 02:07 PM
.. I believe hate hatchback design. In the past, hatchbacks are associated with cheap economy cars. It still is today. A Civic is still cheap to a lot of people. I bought it coz' it was cheap.

I think Honda wanted to join the bandwagon of the other manufs. introducing 5 door hatches, like Focus ZX3, ZX5, Protege5, Matrix, Vibe etc.

Unfortunately, they are all 5 doors (w/ exception of ZX3) and Si is underpowered compared to competitors (like the SVT).

I on the other hand will not buy the Civic in a coupe shape even if it has 200HP. I would be looking for another wagon/hatch like car.

All depends on what you want from the car.

Woodster
03-18-2003, 05:44 PM
So if you had the choice would you of got the Ford Focus SVT instead of the CivicSi? Just wonderin. Im reallly hopin in 2006 when i get my car that there will be somethin with 160+ hp for a good price that is easily modable. GUess well have to wait huh?

slow02ephatch
03-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Woodster
So if you had the choice would you of got the Ford Focus SVT instead of the CivicSi? Just wonderin. Im reallly hopin in 2006 when i get my car that there will be somethin with 160+ hp for a good price that is easily modable. GUess well have to wait huh?

That's the wrong question to ask in this forum. Most of us drive the Si so naturally were going to be bias. Historically, Honda resale value and reliability far exceed Ford but since you asked, get the Si. I'm currently in love with the S2000, I'm looking to get one when my current lease is up. Good luck, the Si isn't a bad car. It's not fast but it's fun.

Woodster
03-18-2003, 06:31 PM
I know, dumb question. Im just worried that when i get my car in 2006 there wont be a honda thats cheap but has really good power(160+). Im just worried thats all.

@doval
03-18-2003, 07:03 PM
In the honda tuning magazine of this month i read about honda is planing to bring to our shores an civic si 4 door and was a best seller in japan....selling more units first in 30 yrs than the toyota corolla

Woodster
03-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Im just worried that nothin will be in the honda line that i like. Im sure there will be though! Im startin to really really love the look of the hatch and that would suck if they changed it.

SiR Medic
03-18-2003, 10:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned... The Honda line-up has gotten much better over the last 20 years.

In '84 there was the CRX and the Prelude for "sporty" models. The CRX was impractical and the Prelude was under powered. The Accord had a 4-banger of mediocre power.

Right now, Honda has the Si, which offers practicality and performance. The Prelude is gone (unfortunatly, just as they got it finally right). However, the new Accord coupe is just gorgeous! And with a 240hp V6 and a 6-speed... Sign me up! (just wish I could afford the extra $10K to trade in the SiR)

And of course... There IS the S2000!

As far as what to buy in 2006; here's a forcast...

Honda will be mostly as it is now.

Nissan will be all over the place.

Toyota will be struggling as it wonders why Camrys don't sell well anymore, meanwhile being stuck with 10 different SUV models.

Mazda will continue to stick underpowered engines into great chassis.

Volkswagon will be the new Audi.

Audi will still be Audi.

BMW's will look like Pontiacs, only perform better.

Mercedes will be overpriced Chryslers.

Chryslers will all be SUV/minivan/sports-car/dairy-truck cross-overs.

Ford will be bankrupt... And still making nothing but SUV's

GM will still be "on the verge of a comeback" (just like the last 15 years), while it still equips every car with 4-speed automatics and pushrod V6's.

Surprise
03-18-2003, 11:18 PM
I think if Honda really wanted to sell a lot of Si's they could have. But the result would be a more practical (4 door sedan or wagon) with an optional auto, basicly an Acura TSX with 160 hp instead of 200. I could see a lot of people driving a very affordable, practical car that is fun to drive (even if you can't drive a manual) under 18k. So a civic with a bit more edge, or a TSX with a liitle less attitude. As it is I like having an uncommon car.

blueiedgod
03-19-2003, 05:14 AM
honda will have a pick up based on the current CR-V/Element platform. Most likely there will be a hybrid truck, most likely a version of CR-V, or Pilot/MDX. By 2006 civic will be redesigned once again. It will most likely grow bigger, current civics sre bigger and more powerfull (EX) than my 89 accord.
Current accord, even though I like the interior is waaaaaaaay to big to be called an Accord. It is more of a taurus. That is why TSX is so important. Someone like me who may need a 4 door midsize vehicle some time in the near future. I drove the new accord when they first came out, a 4 banger EX, excellent interior, but the outside is too big. The new 4 cylinder in the accord/CR-V/Element is actually better than the 2.0 we have. Very smooth power delivery, and very quiet. The shifter in the accord is like butter, but not as crisp as the Si's.
Just to comment on someone's remark abtou having fun without the manual. the hole idea of "having fun" while driving is the ability to row your shifter. Auto transmissions always disconnect the driver form the vehicle. Even BMW's auto are disconnected. They should only allow disabled people to buy auto's, and every one should drive manual. first of all it will alleviate the traffic problems in the cities, simply by having less people driving :-) secondly, when you drive a manual you never stop and go, you always roll, at least i do. peoplewho drive auto's always speed up and stop, speed up and stop. if everyone just rolled we would have had less stop and go and more of 10 mph crawl, which is bette rin my eyes than stop and go anyday.

hamproof
03-19-2003, 06:56 AM
I want a wagon that seats 5 comfortably. AWD. At least 220HP NA. Optional HID, HomeLink, dimming mirrors, auto-climate control, leather, seat warmers etc. Base price less than $20k. Full loaded to the gills for $25k. Realibility as good as a Honda is suppose to be. No maintenance for 100k other than oil changes.

Audi wagons come close. A4 wagons are the most beautiful wagons out there. S4 and RS4 wagons are even more delightful compared to Saabs, Volvos, Bummers and Merc. Never mind Subies.

Only problem is their realibility are so so and dealer service are the pits. Of course there are exceptional dealerships out there but the one I dealt with in the past and my experience with my A4 unfortunately confirms it.