PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start/Alarm

StrangeShadow
03-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Is it possible to go w/a remote start/alarm system for our ep?
How would it work considering our keys?
Has anyone done this already?

(I tried a search because the topic has come up a few times before but no one really answered these question, they were just kindof left hanging in the open)

Would installing such a system eliminate the chip in key anti-theft protection that we have?

fASTBACK
03-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Yes, you can put a remote start alarm on the Ep. You would have to take a spare key and pop the chip off the key. Then mount the chip inside your steering colum so when you push the button for it to start, the car will turn on. Other wise without doing that, it will not work. I believe that also answers your question about the chip in the key.

StrangeShadow
03-19-2003, 01:02 AM
just want to get this part clear--
putting the chip in the steering wheel, for the remote start to work--
will make the car easier to steal?
YES "or" No

03hatch
03-19-2003, 01:07 AM
i think no...cause i got a remote start alarm...they need the spare key so you can start the engine without the clutch. :D

norcalSI
03-19-2003, 01:18 AM
i'm not sure people will install a remote start on a stick shift...because where i work they won't do it because its a liability some one can jack your car when you turn it on with remote start

StrangeShadow
03-19-2003, 01:31 AM
They tend to do it around here w/out a fuss.
MAIN CONCERN--the chip is put in the steering wheel to make ecu/compter think a "key w/chip" is there,
therefore, the car always thinks the chip is there allowing remote start.
However, because the ecu/car thinks a chip is there doesn't that mean anyone can hotwire car, because ecu/car thinks a key is there, due to the chip.???????

SiR Medic
03-19-2003, 08:44 AM
DO NOT INSTALL A REMOTE STARTER IN YOUR EP!

I had a remote starter in my old Grand Prix. The thing caused all sorts of problems. I would go through about 2 starter motors a year with it. Then, one day, I smell smoke coming from under the dash... The remote starter module was actually SELF-COMBUSTING!

Also... It voids the warranty.

And... Makes the car easier to steal.

Why do you need one anyway? I find the EP heats up quick enough to get by without one.

StrangeShadow
03-24-2003, 12:08 PM
It was just something that I took a personal interest in-kindof cool to start your car while you're walking torwards it, however after you mensioned all the prbs that come with one, I will deff reconsider and rethink, thanks.

fASTBACK
03-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow
just want to get this part clear--
putting the chip in the steering wheel, for the remote start to work--
will make the car easier to steal?
YES "or" No

Yes, it would make it easier to steal. Basicly the key is in the ignition when the chip is inside of the steering colum. They just need to hot wire it and go. WAIT!!!!...not even that far. They just need to get your ignition to the number 2 part and they are off. If you do get it, only turn it on with the remote when you are in a comfortable place enough to, or thieves will know how to steal your car. It will be a piece of cake for them.

Yes, it is illegal for a shop to install this kind of alarm on a manual transmission. If some one turned their car on while left in 1st gear, the car will jump and die out then keep on doing this for about 10 feet. Which in turn will hit something or somebody. Most of the shops do it illegally or make you sign a wavier.

ALL of my friends have this kind of alarm on their car. It's cool but not worth it IMO. I had a remote start Clifford kit also but sold it for these reasons.

I suggest you not get it for an EP.

StrangeShadow
03-25-2003, 12:06 AM
thanks for answering my question,
will not be getting a remote start now =)

importhonda
03-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Sorry, but your wrong... I have it on My EP, and its %100 legal. YOu have to have an alarm that has certain safety measures... The only one that comes to mind is the Compustar, which I have.

YOu have to use a DEI module to get around the coded key issue(it uses your spare Key)...

Alarm works great and there is NO chance of you starting your car in gear, so it is completely safe. Only benifits I can see of it (other than being really kool) is that it can double as a turbo timer. Good if you want to warm up your car(heater) or cool it down(AC) before you get to it. The alarm works from really far away... check it out sometime

03hatch
03-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by importhonda
Sorry, but your wrong... I have it on My EP, and its %100 legal. YOu have to have an alarm that has certain safety measures... The only one that comes to mind is the Compustar, which I have.

YOu have to use a DEI module to get around the coded key issue(it uses your spare Key)...

Alarm works great and there is NO chance of you starting your car in gear, so it is completely safe. Only benifits I can see of it (other than being really kool) is that it can double as a turbo timer. Good if you want to warm up your car(heater) or cool it down(AC) before you get to it. The alarm works from really far away... check it out sometime

i got the same alarm as you...works great..not problem had the alarm for 3 months..:D

StrangeShadow
03-27-2003, 12:00 AM
that's the one I was looking at... just a little unsure still... most likely will do some more research...gotto be like james bond and have the car start while running to it, while the same hoodlums from the last 3 bond movies chase you and your baker's dozen of hotties, althouht I bet even james would have trouble getting that many girls into an ep...:p

BlackNRedSi
03-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Same here...

my brother works @ Perzan as the main installer for stereo systems and security systems...he said that he wont put a remote starter in my car because its very very very unsafe, and easy to jack....

his friend had a remote starter in his car, he was drunk one night, brought the car home, left it in gear...the next morning he started his car by the remote starter while he was inside....his car bogged out, bucked down the street, and almost killed 2 children...

now would you want something like that happenen to you?

i am not trying to tell you what to do with your car or anything, but if you do go that route, be very careful.

it is not illegal to do installs of remote starters on MTs, but a lot of shops will say no to you, or make you sign that waver....

Eric