PDA

View Full Version : My engine blew up (updated)

NemesisITR
03-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Okay, there are two possiblities right now that may happen. The dealership is pushing for an 03 Si with new warranty and same payment, basically an even swap.

The other option is for them to install the Type S motor which is available and sign off on my warranty.

I want the A2 and the dealership wants to give me a new car.

I wouldnt mind getting a new car cause I would get the blue that I wanted, however I really want the Type S motor.

The only problem I see in getting the motor is that, what my buddy brought attention to, they might screw me and give me a fucked up engine or do something to make it fuck up. The Service Manager was like, so what if you like throw a rod in three months what happens then? I told him if it shows it was due to a bad install you owe me another engine. If it shows that the motor was bad then Im fucked cause I have no warranty. So that is the one thing that is in the back of my mind that scares me about getting the Type S motor. I know the install will work, but will they fuck me?

I need some support guys!!! What should I do? Go for the 03 or go for the Motor?

03hatch
03-19-2003, 04:41 PM
get an 03...you can always get a swap later....well if you get the motor anything can happen...if you want to get the motor ask for warranty on the motor only...and see what happen...good luck..

not everyday the dealer offer to give you a new car..hehe:D

todaCspec
03-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Type S motor for sure, 03 = still slow and same as everybody else. S motor = 5W 30 oil. It's a direct swap, besides how many people usually use the warrenty within the 3yr period? These motors are made to last, it's usually driver error that f#cks things up.

SiR Medic
03-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Try and go for a compromise.

Tell them to put the K20A2 in, with full warranty, and you will pay yourself the price difference between the two engines.

Does the A2 not come with it's own warranty?

I assume the rest of the car would still be covered, ie. suspension, electrical etc.

What about getting the 6-speed to go with it?

1abSi
03-19-2003, 05:57 PM
dood who cares about the warranty..... just don't drive like an idiot, i bent some valves on my gsr hatchie much the same way once and that is just an calling to make it faster.

NemesisITR
03-19-2003, 06:11 PM
There is NO warranty if I put the A2 in. Honda will not warranty the engine nor the car.

If the engines blows then Im screwed. Now if someone else does a bad oil change and it blows then yes they should pay for it, but who knows.

If I get the 03 then I have full warranty with same payments. I will not be out any money.

simione
03-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Hey man just get the motor and then take it to an acura dealership and have them check it out. who cares if you have to pay for that it won't cost that much and if they tell you that something is wrong take it back to your dealer and show them the paperwork saying you had it looked at. it will probably cost $50-100 to get it looked at. i'd say thats pretty cheap for a little piece of mind. just think 40 more hp and 1000 more rpm, and then hondata. you are a lucky man. just my $.02

IceD out N CALI
03-19-2003, 06:18 PM
is the A2 motor brand new, or a used one?

NemesisITR
03-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Thats the problem, if I did that and Acura said something was wrong Im screwed. To get the motor I have to sign away any responsiblity that Honda would have.

it is a new long block and cylinder head

IceD out N CALI
03-19-2003, 06:33 PM
sounds like u have many doubts. cant go wrong with a new car;)

SubliminalSi
03-19-2003, 07:50 PM
As tempting as it sounds, id go for the new car just to be on the safe side.

beaumodr
03-19-2003, 08:06 PM
I know everyone wants to make thier car as fast as possible, but I can't justify swappin engines in a car with only a few thousand miles. Swaps are for old beaters that need a new engine anyways. Id get a new car. Just my 2 cents.

I SELL HONDAS
03-19-2003, 08:39 PM
i work for a dealer they have no reason to do you wrong, they have nothing to gain and everything to loose.
choose which ever you want but the dealer wont cause you any problems.
drive with youyr brain, not your testosterone... your honda wont fail you.:angel:

2k2civicSi
03-19-2003, 09:45 PM
would you stay with the 5spd tranny?

chunky
03-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
would you stay with the 5spd tranny?

I'm guessing yes, the k20 is just a long block.

long block needs the intake/exhaust manifolds, alternator, transmission, ECU.

i'm guessing those parts would come out of pocket?

IMO, just go for the new si.

warranty is good.

!@#$%
03-19-2003, 09:57 PM
hell, its seems as though fate won't allow you to have a car that revs anywhere under 8000. :p if it were me, i'd go with the vivid blue becuase i cant afford an engine on someone else's mistake. i say get the VBP 03.

tsa1
03-19-2003, 10:05 PM
if its just the motor and no tranny then dont do it. But if the motor is new you have nothing to worry about. but i would go with the swap or try to get a lower payments on your other car at least.

DownTheHatch
03-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Just take the brand new car. It's only a long block so you'll have a 5speed A2 with no warranty. Is it worth it for 40hp?

Bo_Vien
03-20-2003, 01:13 AM
Nemesis, sorry to hear about your car. Have you read the Hybrid-How-to article from December 2002 Sport Compact Car mag, which details the K20A2 swap? From what I remember, you will need to address a few other issues, such as the ECU, tranny, something about the axles, and power steering. Also the stock exhaust/cat doesn't bolt right on without some modification, i think. As you can see, you'll need more than just the K20A2 engine itself. And with no warranty to back you up, you could have a potential disaster should something go wrong sometime in the future.

As much as I'd hate to say this, I'd ask for the new car (or your money back - have you seen the new Evo? :D). This is your daily driver, and having some semblance of a warranty will give you a peace of mind.

hamproof
03-20-2003, 10:29 AM
If you take the 03 route, make sure it is not a demo or has lots of miles on it. Stipulate you will not take delivery on a car with more than 50miles on it. I can see them wanting to give you their demo with 500miles or worse yet 5000miles!

Also, when you say same payment same everything, you got to make sure they take into account what you have paid so far and don't start from zero. It was their mistake. So make them pay for it. If you have 30 payments left from 36 payments (assuming 3 year loan), make sure they put that in.

I assume they would have to buy your old car from you. So make sure you are really free and clear from that car. You don't want your name on the title nor your name on AHFC if that's who you are financing the car with. You don't want to find out a few years from now, you owe money with Honda for the new and old car.

Gibhunter
03-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Take the K20A2. Hondas are bulletproof anyways and if something does go wrong, it's usually pretty easy to fix. You also will have a 6spd transmission and free flowing head featuring performance type iVtec. I'd go for it.

NemesisITR
03-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Since it is too much of a liability to put the Type S motor in, I decided to take the new 03. They are going to set it up just like I had the 02 plus lower it for me. No extra cost to me. I come out with the same payment on a 03 for the price of an 02.

The 03 I want is not on the sale lot, it is really at there storage lot, so it should have next to no miles on it:D

IceD out N CALI
03-20-2003, 01:33 PM
you gonna gut out this one also?

!@#$%
03-20-2003, 01:45 PM
isnt the storage lot over off of forest ln? they took me over there and had a lineup of silvers. i made my choice. I still have yet to see the new blue. Is that the one you are getting? :)

NemesisITR
03-20-2003, 03:47 PM
They are gutting it for me. I saw a couple of blue ones when I went to buy mine. They were on the north side, kind of hard to see, all in one row.

TrippZ
03-20-2003, 03:54 PM
did you get your addons outof the old car at least?

NemesisITR
03-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
did you get your addons outof the old car at least?

they are taking them out and putting them on for me

JackHerer
03-20-2003, 06:22 PM
hey NemesisITR can you tell me what dealership you went to.