PDA

View Full Version : I had the most beautiful ride yesterday

snubnose
03-20-2003, 02:47 AM
I had about three cups of coffee early yesterday morning before work and at 5:00 am I had time to go for a pure joyride.

It was still dark and when I fired up the Si and turned on the lights, the red dash lit up and I opened the moonroof cover to see the night sky above me.

Pulling out of the driveway, I took care not to rev above 3,000 until the engine needle registered warm. When the engine was warm, the black Honda felt fast and light as I routinely revved to 5,000 before shifting. There were few cars on the road and I had it to myself.

The Honda scooted like it was being pushed from behind.

The Si shifted flawlessly and accelerated instantly. It was a pure joy to drive. I have a beater car so the Honda is merely a toy to drive for fun.

After about 35 minutes I pulled the Honda into the driveway, opened the door and felt the satisfying feel of it shutting solidly. I locked the doors as the lights flashed once. It felt good to know that after almost a year, more than ever I feel that my Si is a solid, quality, fun car.

I have no regrets with my purchase.

Makross
03-20-2003, 03:29 AM
nice i feel the same way you should be a writer:D

Tenacious G
03-20-2003, 10:10 AM
very well written, snubnose. i had a night like that not to long ago ... then my rattling dash interrupted my drive, so i had to crank the tunes.

Burgh
03-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Nicely written. I think anyone who loves to drive can appreciate your story. There's sometimes nothing like the feeling of getting in the car and driving when there's very little traffic and everything is quiet... and just listening to the engine.

hamproof
03-20-2003, 10:20 AM
I got up at 6am to get ready for work. Unfortunately, there's no time for breakfast nor a cup of joe. Not looking forward driving 33 miles to work.

Got into the car, fired her up. Darn. Dim orange lighting in the cluster. I can't make out the kmh numbers.

Pull out of the driveway and I hear a whinning noise in reverse. I reminded myself all manual trans. Honda makes this whinning noise.

Shift into first and off she goes. Around the corner, I hear a tick followed by a rattle. Darn! Ticking and rattling still here.

Went out to the main road, hit some bumpy roads. Tick tick tick tick, rat rat rattle. Curse out loud at the British assembly workers.

Hit the highway taking a curvy onramp. I decided to gun it to pass the damn SUV crowding the Detroit metro freeway. Hear slippage. Curse at the bean counters at Honda for giving us cheap all-seasons good for no season 15" tires. Ok, the roads are still a little wet from snow/rain or whatever's on the road leftover from weeks before.

Driving smoothly on the highway. At least not bumpy. Tick tick tick, rat rat rattle sound coming from the left side of dash. Curse out loud! F**k f**k f**k. Damn British assembly workers must have been drinking on the job again.

All I hear coming into work. Tick tick tick, rat rat rat. Got to the work parking lot. Got out of a hell hole and into another hell hole! A place call work.

IceD out N CALI
03-20-2003, 10:20 AM
sounds like a nice ride

BlairSpeed
03-20-2003, 11:09 AM
why dont you take your car to dealer and have them look at your dash? If the rattles are so bad that it ruins your driving experience, then that is a problem and it should be addressed. just my opinion.......;)

Spidey
03-20-2003, 11:24 AM
i hear ya snubnose. There are many days like that for me.
sometimes after going out with friends and i drop them off I'll go for a little ride about 3 a.m.
can't wait for summer to do that when the sun starts coming out and it's the calm before the storm.

hamproof
03-20-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm assuming you were referring to me.

Here's my story.

02/24
Appointment made to have dealership look at it

02/20
Stop in a few days before appt. coz' rattle was pretty constant. Service writer rode in the car with me but *amazingly* rattle was not so obvious. She can hear it but said if they can't hear it on Monday, they can't do anything. I tried to drive a little longer but she said she's needed back at the dealership

02/24
What do you know. No rattles!

03/03
Appointment made at another dealership

03/03
What do you know. No rattles!

03/06
Rattle was very obvious. Drove in to dealership. Service writer wrote in the car and said he could hear it but it was on and off. Bring it back later when it is more constant??

03/10
Rattle was constantly on. Service writer can hear it loud and clearly. Put some grease on the weatherseals and slide in a piece of folded business card bet. the door / door panels. Told me to give that a try. Otherwise, wedge some towels in there.

Of course it still rattled like crazy

03/13
Called service writer guy. Told him grease and paper no work. Told me to bring it in

03/17
Wanted to go in today but rattle wasn't so obvious. Could be the warmer weather. But you can hear it at times. Called him up but he said if he can't hear it he can't do anything.

03/20
Yes, that's today. I'm bringing it in again. It better rattle when I'm in the car with him.

Seriously, if you look at the rattle threads, I've posted numerous times. It is hard to get service guys to fix rattles. They don't want to pull things apart to try to fix a rattle. But yet, it is so annoying to me. I can hear it when they are not in the car. They can hear it sometimes when they are in the car but can't do a thing if the technician can't hear it.

Count your lucky stars your EP is not one of those with a rattle. Do a search and you'll know what I mean.