PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Rid Of Rust on Hub?

fASTBACK
03-22-2003, 12:29 AM
My hubs in the front are both rusting. How do I get rid of that? For those who don't know, the hub is the round thing that you see when your center caps are off the rims. They help support the rims. Can I use a rust spray remover if there is one? How else would I go on about removing the rust? I want to clean it up before I put my new rims on. I am planning on running the rims without the center caps. Thanks in advanced.

raiyo
03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
To look for a produce called "A Must for Rust," it's good stuff. What the product does is it stops the rust. For a location, try to look for it in "kelly Moore Paint," the store I work in sells em, if they don't tell them they suck.

!@#$%
03-22-2003, 10:11 PM
i just used sandpaper and scrubbed it by hand, the stuff came right off.

fASTBACK
03-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
To look for a produce called "A Must for Rust," it's good stuff. What the product does is it stops the rust. For a location, try to look for it in "kelly Moore Paint," the store I work in sells em, if they don't tell them they suck.

Does it remove the exisisting rust, or does it stop further rusting?
How much is a can?

fASTBACK
03-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by !@#$%

Sounds good, I have to do it before I get my rims on. What grit sand paper did you use?

raiyo
03-23-2003, 12:48 PM
It will come right off, but doesn't that mess up the finish of the rims?

raiyo
03-23-2003, 12:51 PM
It removes and stops rust from coming back. It doesn't stop it for a lifetime, but it will stop it for a decent amount of time. It all comes down to what your rims goes through. Just reapply if it happens again. Cost like $4.50 a bottle, not expensive, give it a try. Don't got a bottle on me, so couldn't describe how to use the bottle. but ruffly, it is like remove anything u can on the surface, then spray then wipe.

!@#$%
03-23-2003, 10:21 PM
ummm....i didnt use the sandpaper with my rims on. who the hell would be dumb enough to do that? :rolleyes: i'll rephrase myself, I took off the wheel and scrubbed the hub with sandpaper then put the new wheel on. my rims aren't rusting.

and about the grit, i dont know the grit.....it was just a random piece laying around, wasnt too rough.