PDA

View Full Version : weathertech floor mats?

midas
03-24-2003, 12:47 PM
i was debating between OEM and diamondplate mats and actually ended up ordering weathertech. they are made in england by a company called cannon and are of good quality, my friend had them in his gti and he loved them. and i'm just not sold on the look of the diamond plate..i guess i need to see them in person. the cool part is the black ones w/red accent are $10 dollars cheaper than tan/beige-- about $90 w/shipping for a set of 4. between the rain in sanfrancisco and surfing its next to impossible to keep mats in decent shape. i think they will look tight in a euro functional utilitarian way--what do you guys think? anyone have them?

this might be a good group buy in the future
check out the link:
http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?item_group_id=3&make_id=21&year_no=2002&veh_id=816&veh_opt_choice_id=0

hamproof
03-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Even after you trim off the sides, it doesn't fit. I actually had to cut off part of the upper left side around the dead pedal area to make it fit. Unless you don't mind the it overlapping your dead pedal.

A lot of trimming necessary to get it to fit on the rear. The passenger side is a good fit.

hamproof
03-24-2003, 03:38 PM
But to fit the ones that they say fit the Si, you have to trim more than the area available for trimming. Unless of course I bought the wrong ones. I'll see if I can find the packaging for part # but I doubt it.

Here's what they look like in my car. I have to cut part of the actual mat out to fit.

midas
03-24-2003, 04:38 PM
i called them and of course when you change your mind its already sent out :confused: they said all i have to do is refuse the package and they will refund everything including the shipping. but after seeing your pic it doesnt look so bad..i can live with the cutout around the dead pedal.

but thats it right... thats all you have to cut out from the front?
so minus the trim job do you like them?

thanks again

hamproof
03-25-2003, 05:55 AM
I've used cheapo clear plastic ones but those move around a lot and do not contain the slush in the winter time as much.

However, I would have just gotten the front ones only and buy cheapo black rear ones from Walmart. The coverage area is excellent on the weathertech but since no one uses the backseat, it is an overkill for me.

AkronSi
03-25-2003, 06:24 AM
I got the front ones for winter, and I love them. They don't move around or get creased like some of those cheap ones. And, since they are designed to be cut, they fit really well. IMO

I'll be switching back to my factory mats as soon as I clean them and treat them with protectant. One nice thing about the WeatherTech mats is that you can just hose them off. It makes cleaning them super easy.

cmk05
03-25-2003, 11:08 AM
COSTCO's got a real nice set of deep rubber floor mats.
They don't fit perfectly, but well enough.

Best of all, they're only 20 bucks so you can replace em every so often without breaking the bank.

hamproof
03-25-2003, 11:29 AM
sitting on top of the ever so nice "Si" logo OEM floormats. It's a shame to cover them up.

The mats are meant to be trimmed to fit but I actually have to cut part of the mat to fit nicely as shown in the picture. On the other hand, my gf's 3.2TL mats from Weathertech was a nice fit. No trimming necessary.

BlackNRedSi
04-10-2003, 12:24 PM
see, i dont want to be the cheap ace out of everyone...but man do i have a problem spending 90 dollars on a product that should only cost 20...sure they are nice floor mats, but come on its darn rubber...how much money you think it actually takes to make a floor mat? :)

well i am going to go buy them, i need a set, the ones i have in there right now dont fit my car to my liking!

thanks everyone...

ps what did u guys use to cut out the mat?

AkronSi
04-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
ps what did u guys use to cut out the mat?

Scissors or a utility knife.

hamproof
04-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Buy the cheap ones and you'll know. I used to have cheap ones but they either don't fit or don't look as good.

Actually the black ones (front and rear) are only $80+. Just get the fronts. It should only run you $50 or so. The rear are kinda useless as a cheap one from Walmart is suffice. I have the rear ones as well though no one sits in the back.

If you think $80 is expensive, I paid $105 for my OEM Audi Sports one for my old A4. Even that isn't as nice as the weathertech in terms of coverage area. Comparing the OEM in Audi vs. WeatherTech in EP.

How much do you think it cost Injen, AEM, K&N, DC Sports etc. to make their intake? Comparing $30 eBay intake to $180-$220 intakes from them.

BlackNRedSi
04-10-2003, 12:43 PM
yeah your right i kno! :)

i will get the whole set and shut my mouth...i sometimes drive people that sit in the back so i really want it back there as well...

i need to stop spending money on this damn car

:)

thanks soo much!

Eric

midas
04-10-2003, 01:13 PM
hi eric
i got the weathertechs after all about 2 weeks ago and they are very well made and look tight. i have had more than one "sweet" mats comment. for example i went snowboarding last weekend and of course they got filthy...i let them dry and with a dry brush they looked fine again didnt even have to wash them.

but i am the opposite and rarely have people in the back. if you can just buy the fronts (i am pretty sure they will do that) let me know and maybe you can buy my rear set at a discount? its a win win situation ;)

just let me know and we can work out a price

midas
blu88@earthlink.net

RiceCzechs
04-10-2003, 11:09 PM
I had a tan set in my Ranger, and they were really great... fit nicely after trimming, were seriously heavy-duty (in fact, they're just heavy period), and worked well for my application. That said, they were a bit pricy, but I gave them serious consideration this time 'round... I ended up going with the stock Honda mats off eBay 'cause I liked the logo and the one-piece rear mat...

One nice side benefit from the Weathertechs was that I stopped having as much of a problem with static electricity (used to get these HUGE 2" arcs off of my doors when I got out). :)

chubbychu
04-10-2003, 11:13 PM
seems to meeeee....if you had the dimensions of the stock floor mats....just trace around them...and cut up some 20 dollar walmart mats.....Why not?

hamproof
04-11-2003, 05:16 AM
We'll all be buying stuff from Walmart.

The reason why it wouldn't work is the one from Walmart is such a generic shape that it usually doesn't go from corner to corner in every car. Also, you don't want to be trimming away any of the *pockets* coz' that's what holds the slush/water on the rubber mats. If you cut some of the grooves away, the water will just flow onto your mats.

AkronSi
04-11-2003, 05:29 AM
I had a cheap wal-mart mat in my old car. It might look ok, but after you have it for awhile, it pretty much starts to disintigrate. The little rubber nubs on the bottom all fell off and the ridges on the top were falling off too. What a piece of crap. :D

midas
05-11-2003, 01:09 AM
I never had a dead pedal in any of my previous cars so instead of cutting my front mat...I just removed my dead pedal>dont miss it at all. So now the mats fit perfect in the front. By the way I love these mats!
-midas

Originally posted by hamproof
But to fit the ones that they say fit the Si, you have to trim more than the area available for trimming. Unless of course I bought the wrong ones. I'll see if I can find the packaging for part # but I doubt it.

Here's what they look like in my car. I have to cut part of the actual mat out to fit.

shimmy_yaz
05-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Diamond Plate all the way
http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/civicsi/images/DSC00310.JPG

And BlackNRedSI: what the hell you buyin different mats now too? haha