PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked my car!

XspeedSi02
03-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Well at about 11:30EST I was leaving to go to my g/fs house. I was backing up my driveway and I guess I cut the wheel too soon and clipped the rear corner of my moms Jeep with my pass fender and headlight. So now that i'm really pissed off, can someone tell me where to get the best deal on a new fender and headlight? I know for what a Honda dealership wants for a new headlight is gonna be as much as a set of JDM lights. Do the JDM headlights work just like OEM? I heard the beams or something was different. Help me out, I need to get my car back to normal. :'( :'( :'( :'(

EViLsneakyDUCK
03-24-2003, 10:34 PM
im not exactly sure, but im pretty sure there are other posts about head lights. If you dont want to wait for a reply by one of the forum gurus, just use search. And clipping your mom's Jeep isnt so bad...my friend backed up into a tree :D

chunky
03-24-2003, 10:34 PM
man, you just fucked up your mom's car and all you're thinking about is a new fender?

i'd be looking for a new place to live if i did that to my mom's car. she goes apeshit.

Suk02Si
03-24-2003, 10:48 PM
a fender and headlight is hardly a wreck:D

and i've seen oem lights on ebay for pretty cheap

IceD out N CALI
03-24-2003, 11:58 PM
I was expecting a big ole wreck story, (gladly) all i heard was a fender/headlight. JDM lights will work fine, and fender shouldnt be too bad pricewise

StrangeShadow
03-25-2003, 12:30 AM
:mad: yeah I was expecting GORE too. j/k hope things work out cool, posts pics of damage if possible, might help w/sudjusts of fixing damage.

HgSi
03-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by XspeedSi02
Do the JDM headlights work just like OEM? I heard the beams or something was different.

The beams are different; they're made for driving on the other side of the road. You'll end up blinding oncoming drivers.

XspeedSi02
03-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Well I checked on replacement parts today. The fender and headlight are about $610. Gonna cost $300 or more for paint. So i'm lookn at about $1000 to fix a fender bender. Pisses me off, cause its not as bad as I thought. It looked really bad in the dark, but when I checked it out this morning it wasnt bad at all. I'll try and post some pics, but I always have trouble getting them to work. :( :( :(

JLannoo
03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Well I checked on replacement parts today. The fender and headlight are about $610. Gonna cost $300 or more for paint. So i'm lookn at about $1000 to fix a fender bender. Pisses me off, cause its not as bad as I thought. It looked really bad in the dark, but when I checked it out this morning it wasnt bad at all. I'll try and post some pics, but I always have trouble getting them to work. :( :( :(

Why will it cost $1000? Is your insurance deductable that high?

XspeedSi02
03-25-2003, 05:53 PM
I only have to pay $500 of it.:rolleyes:

JLannoo
03-25-2003, 06:44 PM
I only have to pay $500 of it.:rolleyes:

Well I know you made this face :rolleyes: but at least its not the full $1000 :)

I have my collision at $500 as well. I was afraid you had it crazy high at $1000 like some people do.

ortedd
03-25-2003, 08:46 PM
how much is your insurance going to go up? Might be cheaper to fix yourself. . . .

IceD out N CALI
03-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by ortedd
how much is your insurance going to go up? Might be cheaper to fix yourself. . . .

yeah just in case you havent checked, you may want to. Might not be worth it if your insurance goes up as a result of this claim

ortedd
03-25-2003, 09:11 PM
especially since you pay insurance ever year.

XspeedSi02
03-25-2003, 10:36 PM
If the grand total goes over $1300 my insurance will go up. My dad was looking at the headlight today and I looked at it again this evening and there doesnt seem to be any cracks. Most of the marks look as though they will buff out. The fender seems to be the only thing needed to be replaced. I found a new fender for like $230 online. So I should be ok from not going over the $1300 turning it in to insurance.

StrangeShadow
03-27-2003, 12:27 AM
My dad was looking at the headlight today and I looked at it again this evening and there doesnt seem to be any cracks. Most of the marks look as though they will buff out.
:( guess that means no JDM lights?

Type X
03-27-2003, 09:45 AM
after 2 sets of jdm ctr lights on my

2000 civic
and my 2002 civic
i dont understand why everything things the beam pattern is different lol

just AIM THEM CORRECTLY and u car fine :):cool:

DocofMind
03-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Whats up with everyone wrecking their car either on their way to the girls house or on their way back. My bro did the same in his Si a couple weeks ago except with much, much more damage.

Glad you are ok.

StrangeShadow
03-27-2003, 01:57 PM
when I say/think JDM lights i picture the HID' not the others w/only a slightly darker housing. :)

HgSi
03-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Type X
after 2 sets of jdm ctr lights on my

2000 civic
and my 2002 civic
i dont understand why everything things the beam pattern is different lol

just AIM THEM CORRECTLY and u car fine :):cool:

The flare that cars in Europe have is on the opposite side in Japan (obviously, because they drive on the other side of the road). The point of the flare is to light up the sidewalk, side of the road, signs by the side of the road, etc. Also, because the lights are normally aimed slightly downward, the lights have a bit more range on the side with the flare that the side without. Having this flare on the wrong side (which would be the left side for the US) is bad because it the light that's supposed to go on the side where there would be no oncoming traffic, goes directly into oncoming traffic. In mainland Europe (where they drive on the right), cars visiting from the UK(where they drive on the left) have to tape over the part of their light that produces the flare in order to be allowed to drive in Europe. That's how seriously they take it. I don't know... maybe you can compensate for it by aiming your lights downward, but that would cut down on the amount of light available for you to see.

As far as I know, Japan still uses the RHD E-code style light pattern, but they might have changed recently. If you want, check your JDM lights against a wall at night and see how it looks. If they've jumped on the "Harmonized" bandwagon (or a mirror image of it) then that's not so bad (but it would be surprising). But if they still use RHD E-code, then that's pretty bad.

My suggestion would be to get CTR lights from Europe, if you really want CTR lights (but not the UK). I know it wouldn't be as "authentic" as JDM ones, but aren't even the JDM ones make in the good ol' UK of GB and NI, same as the rest of them?

Anyway, try it out against a wall (from like 15- 20 feet away, at night) and see how it looks. If I'm wrong, tell me. Maybe my info is old, and I'd like to know if I'm preaching outdated stuff. :D

Type X
03-27-2003, 05:32 PM
i did aim mine on a wall right after yanking my oem lights

than installed the ctrs

beam pattern after aiming = the same
a LITTLE bigger due to the lack of diffuser but not "blidning on coming traffic'

like everyone says

HgSi
03-28-2003, 12:18 AM
It doesn't look like my ghetto little diagram? I guess they must have changed their standards, like the DOT*. Ok, I guess I'll stop preaching, then. :confused:

*The DOT used to have shit standards before 1998, left over from the 1950s.

Type X
03-28-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by HgSi
It doesn't look like my ghetto little diagram? I guess they must have changed their standards, like the DOT*. Ok, I guess I'll stop preaching, then. :confused:

*The DOT used to have shit standards before 1998, left over from the 1950s.

your in brooklyn?

pm me i am in staten :)
when u coming to visit? for some pix?