PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof visor problem

Hatch, Si Hatch
03-25-2003, 07:53 AM
I've been wanting to take off the visor/wind-deflector for my sunroof since I got the car in late Dec., and I finally decided to do it yesterday right before I have the car a nice bath. I took it off and it was really dirty under there and kinda sticky, so after I get through washing that area I notice that it doesn't seem to be coming clean. It turns out that the visor had made a mark in the clear coat all the way around where it fits at. Is this something that I can take to my local honda service dept to get fixed. The visor is supposed to be a dealer installed option, however it looks as though it was installed freshly after the car came off the line since it made such a mark. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

sonic imperial
03-25-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm sure that the dealer installed it but anytime you do something like that soon after painting a car you'll get that problem (paint hasn't had enough time to fully dry hard). I had the same thing happen a few years ago when I had a civic painted and had fender trim installed and taken off a few months later. You might can get someone to buff it down but odds are you may not get it perfect. I'm just leaving mine intact because I know it'll be the same way. I kinda like it up there, I've gotten used to it now.

31102si
03-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by sonic imperial
I'm sure that the dealer installed it but anytime you do something like that soon after painting a car you'll get that problem (paint hasn't had enough time to fully dry hard). I had the same thing happen a few years ago when I had a civic painted and had fender trim installed and taken off a few months later. You might can get someone to buff it down but odds are you may not get it perfect. I'm just leaving mine intact because I know it'll be the same way. I kinda like it up there, I've gotten used to it now.

also the sun will dull the paint over time. so the part of the visor that the sun did not shine on will have a brighter/ different shade to it. I don't know if having the car for only a few months would do that but I think you are stuck with it unless you repaint the whole top your car. :confused:

icegrill
03-25-2003, 11:28 AM
The mark you see is due to wind movement in normal driving causing the rubber seal to rub through the clear coat. This is why you never want to leave bras on for extended periods of time. They will leave a permanent mark where they have been in contact with the paint.