PDA

View Full Version : brake shimmy??

grooveline
03-25-2003, 03:25 PM
yo...
ok, i just got a rental car while my EP is in the boddy shop. while driving the rental i noticed something about the brakes on my SI. say i'm goin about 70 and have to brake relatively quickly, it feels like the EP shimmy's and the steering wheel shakes a little. but this is only at high speeds. has anyone else noticed this problem.

even if you haven't, you can still say no you haven't.

BSEVEER
03-25-2003, 03:31 PM
No I haven't but it sounds like warped rotors to me.

grooveline
03-25-2003, 03:33 PM
i was thinkin about the possibility of warped rotors... but i'm like hmm... no hard braking, and its a brand new ride!! but iss coo. i take it wednesday to Honda for check up.

BlasTech
03-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Its probably warped rotors. It comes from heavy use, or from the rotors being not so perfect to start with. Same thing with my ekhatch.

BSEVEER
03-25-2003, 04:11 PM
I have fried several sets of rotors on my 91 si but that was due to some hard driving. It does seem odd for it to happen so quickly under normal conditions. Good luck with the dealer.

chakra71
03-25-2003, 07:28 PM
yeah man, i've got it too. I drive hard and when i need to stop i make it stop.

pushed my little rotors to the limit and then some.

looks like i'll have to upgrade them before i had planned. oh well...

cmk05
03-27-2003, 07:28 AM
rolling into standing water with hot rotors (and they get pretty hot during normal driving) will warp a set of rotors pretty quickly. but the resulting steam sure looks cool though.

sonic imperial
03-27-2003, 08:22 AM
I had a 2001 Accord and warped the rotors 3 times in the first 17,000 miles (normal driving to work and back). I was sick of it and was part of the reason for ditching that car for a different design. Honda gave me a whole new set the 3rd time around but it's ridiculous that you can't just drive normally without warping the rotors like that. I mean, you can't always avoid puddles and rainstorms and car manufacturers ought to know that heavy braking is necessary to avoid collisions on today's roads. I think they should hold up better than that. My Si seems to be doing ok for the most part but I don't think they're perfectly smooth either. Anyone know the recommended mileage for turning rotors assuming you don't warp them prematurely?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-27-2003, 08:48 AM
I had that problem all the time with my old 96 EX'...
Coulda been from hitting the brakes at 155mph+...
Havent had any problems w/ my Si yet...
Then again, i'm mostly running around town under 65mph...