PDA

View Full Version : Good components to run of stock deck?

icegrill
03-25-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm in search of some richer sounding speakers to run of the stock deck power. Anyone have any recommendations that fit and sound good. thanks

BlackNRedSi
03-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Hey,

if you just want components for everyday driving, and your really not that concerned with a pimpin stereo system...you just want something better than factory shyte...

i would suggest going with Infinity....they make great speakers @ a good price... you can find them on www.crutchfield.com , prolly not all that expensive eitehr...i mean they have top quality ones, but they also have regular people speakers as well...

Clarion is good to put in as well, maybe a nice set of those might fit your budget better...

try hittin up ebay as well, try getting a whole saler, those guys usually sell shyte cheaper, and its brand new too...save you some bucks....

Eric

!@#$%
03-27-2003, 12:20 PM
onlinecarstereo.com (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com)

i'll be purchasing infinity from this place. I bought my kicker components and 6X9's from here and got wonderful service. great prices, great sounds. check it out.

edit: before people start freaking out, the kickers were used in my 01 civic (reason for 6X9) i know hatch uses 6.5 all around

BlackNRedSi
03-27-2003, 12:46 PM
NICE!

jaydub
03-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Crutchfield is also the most expensive place on the web. I'd suggest www.etronics.com and www.sounddomain.com/shop

Brettnyt
03-27-2003, 07:46 PM
whats a components set that will sound great from stock deck(well as good as it can)? I want good clean bass that doesnt distort when i turn it up...

ssvr6
03-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Yeah, but with the instructions that you get from crutchfield (as well as the "free stuff") is it worth it for the novice?

I was looking to get the Blaupunkt San Jose, some Polk speakers (4) from them and then buy an Infinity Basslink seperately.

Could I run the basslink off of the stock HU?

Steve

jaydub
03-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Yeah, but with the instructions that you get from crutchfield (as well as the "free stuff") is it worth it for the novice?

I was looking to get the Blaupunkt San Jose, some Polk speakers (4) from them and then buy an Infinity Basslink seperately.

Could I run the basslink off of the stock HU?

Steve

I'm not 100% familiar with the basslink, but I would assume it requires an RCA input, and the stock head unit does not have an output. What you will need is a line level converter, which converts the signal from the speaker wires into an RCA type connector.

As far as crutchfield's free stuff, that is the one thing that makes it worthwhile. Since I never need all the extras (i.e. Instructions, wiring harnesses, and dash kits) it's not worth it for me, however if you do need those things, they include them free and (if i remember correctly) they do have free shipping on certain orders. For that reason it IS worth it for the novice. :)

ssvr6
03-28-2003, 05:05 AM
Cool. What about wires? What wires were you using in your amp install? (purple?)

If those are "high end" and kind of pricey, what can I get away with without really sacraficing quality?

Steve

pimp02
03-28-2003, 06:06 AM
crutchfield.com does make it easy.go to site and put your car type in,then it shows options.they have fairly good wire kits too.

BlackNRedSi
03-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Hey,

Only main reason i suggested CrutchField.com was becuase its a good site to gather up information about starter systems. i mean i could suggest tons of sites for the guy to go to, but crutchfield is very easy to navigate, and they tell you what you should put in your car, what din size is right for your ride...just very user friendly...

basically gather up your info off crutchfield, and then go search the web for those products you like...if crutchfield has something for 100 dollars, i garuntee you you can find it on another webpage for half that price...i would do a ebay search for what you like...

thats what i did with my last system, i looked everything up that i wanted from crutchfield, and then bought the stuff on ebay...you can get just about everything you can get on crutchfrield on ebay, for half the cost, alot of people have those 'buy it now' option so you dont have to wait for the auction to end...

well good luck,

and PS. i wouldnt run too much after market stuff off that factory headunit...its ok to run simple stuff off it, but if you are looking for clarity, and to be happy with your system...get a aftermarket headunit, and the speakers, it will be better than the factory deck by far...even if you get a simple Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, Clarion headunit, its always going to be better than what a factory deck can do....

Eric

jaydub
03-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Cool. What about wires? What wires were you using in your amp install? (purple?)

If those are "high end" and kind of pricey, what can I get away with without really sacraficing quality?

Steve For your cable needs, I HIGHLY recommend www.knukonceptz.com . The website is kind of cheesy, but he's very very affordable. I got a complete 4 gauge kit for my amp for under $40, and the "brand name" one which was not as comprehensive was $75 at my local Circuit Shitty. In a car audio surrounding, the difference between $10 RCA's and $40 RCA's is negligible, because with the added road noise and other outside elements, you'll never have a perfect sound. That said, I'd still rather have the $40 RCA's. :D

jaydub
03-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
basically gather up your info off crutchfield, and then go search the web for those products you like...if crutchfield has something for 100 dollars, i garuntee you you can find it on another webpage for half that price...i would do a ebay search for what you like...

While I agree with you, I have to play devil's advocate and point out the fact that with most of these places which sell far cheaper than most places, you WILL NOT receive a factory warranty. Most car audio companies have very few online retailers who are authorized. For example, Alpine has one online retailer, Crutchfield. If you buy an Alpine head unit elsewhere online, you will not get anything from Alpine if it suddenly breaks.

Of course, the warranties on speakers are generally worthless, 1yr. or less. There's a lot of elements in this, so you have to decide whether the lower price is incentive enough to live w/o the warranty.

BlackNRedSi
03-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Very good point Fonz....

I just suggested that becuase some people dont care...i do, some dont thou! thats why i suggested Crutchfield in the first place! :)

I wouldnt go to a regular place like Tweeter, or CircuitShitty or anything like that, they really try to rip you a new one...

i hate Tweeter, they are so unhonest retailers, but thats me

Eric

JoshSI
03-28-2003, 10:01 AM
I have Image Dyanmic components in my car. They arent that cheap becuase they are competition style components but they are some of the best sounding components I have heard! Image dynamic also makes some of the best subs! YOu should check them out. Im not sure what there website is but youc ould probaly do a search. They are the shit!!!!!

JDMEP3
03-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Infiniti perfect components:p They are the best!

jaydub
03-28-2003, 02:25 PM
hehe minor annoyance, but for those saying that something is the "best" there is no such thing in car audio. It's all relative, and what sounds good to me may sound like complete crap to you, and vice versa. I always hesitate to recommend speakers for this very reason.

That being said, components are easily the most important part of any stereo upgrade, and I would say that the install is more important than the components you buy, most SQ freaks would agree.

JDMEP3
03-28-2003, 02:28 PM
ok you have a point but they are really good..you should listen to them and see for your self you won't be sorry.

jaydub
03-28-2003, 02:58 PM
I have, and my CDT ES-620's blow them out of the water (to my ears).

http://www.dubfusion.com/car_audio/cdt/cdt_01.jpg

Jpax
03-30-2003, 04:36 PM
ummm kevlar.... :)

siver-SI
03-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Ok I email that expert thing on Crutchfield and this is what they told me.

Thanks for your e-mail, and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

I'll be happy to help with your request for a speaker recommendation for
your Honda. For the best sound quality, fit, value and performance I
recommend the Sony XS-V1633 speakers. You'll find those here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158XSV1633

these speakers will fit the front or rear location, will work great with
a factory or aftermarket system. They can also handle up to 50 watts of
RMS power, so you could use an amp with them if you wanted to.

Speaker baffles will help improve the sound quality of your new speakers
also. You'll find the baffles for the speakers you're interested in
here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=237XT65

What I am wondering are this things any good or should I say now way and get something else? Just I have never heard anything good about Sony for cars so I am wondering about this.

Thanks

jaydub
03-30-2003, 10:35 PM
I can't believe Crotchfeel would recommend 6.5" speakers for the front doors. I can't imagine how they could fit in the stock hole without some trimming.

napapacoda
03-31-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
hehe minor annoyance, but for those saying that something is the "best" there is no such thing in car audio. It's all relative, and what sounds good to me may sound like complete crap to you, and vice versa. I always hesitate to recommend speakers for this very reason.

That being said, components are easily the most important part of any stereo upgrade, and I would say that the install is more important than the components you buy, most SQ freaks would agree.

praise the lord! lol - yea, i agree. Everyone says that their system is the best (haha, im guilty of that as well - I run HCCA 6s components - 160w at 2 ohms with a PPI PCX amp).

I would suggest going into a store like Tweeter, or a local stereo shop to test out the speakers. Tweeter is the only store I know of that sells Boston Acoustics. I think they blow all other normal priced brands (kenwood, pioneer, sony, infinity) out of the water, but that's just my ears. They also have all the other normal brands so you can listen and compare what you like the best and unlike other stores that sell electronics, they have enclosed rooms so you can actually turn up the volume without having the rest of the store look at you.