PDA

View Full Version : stalling many times bad for engine?

skc
03-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Hi guyz
I got my 03blueSiR a week and 3 days ago.
This is my first manual shift car so i stalled many times.
I'm improving though, i barely stall now.
Just curious, stalling many times is bad for engine or any other stuff?

Steve

95 GSR
03-25-2003, 07:40 PM
nah u wont danage the motor, but ur really working the tranny if u keep stalling very bad. best thing is to practice on another car. Best car to learn on are earlier (80-90s) civics, corollas, ect.

RMC22
03-26-2003, 01:47 AM
youll be fine. our transmissions are tough. think of it this way... all these times that youre stalling may seem like a lot, but look down the road.. once you learn how to really drive.. a stall is going to be pretty damn rare. it just seems bad now. plus, when are you mostly stalling? First? Letting out the clutch too soon?

skc
03-26-2003, 06:35 AM
Thx for the replies.
I wish i had another manual car to practice drive manual.
I guess i will be okay once i get used to drive manual.
Yeah i stall most in first gear, still scared when i stopped on the hill.
oh well, hope i get used to drive manual shift soon. :D

Lev
03-26-2003, 10:08 AM
On the hills, don't be afraid to give her a little gas. You're not going to hurt anything.

Toy2Si
03-26-2003, 12:22 PM
your car should be ok, keep on practicing...good luck...my car stalled this morning on a stop light, i thougt i was in neutral but i was in 2nd gear...hehehehe:D

blueiedgod
03-26-2003, 12:33 PM
stalling may not damage your engine, but the clutch may get hurt :-) and the engine mounts.

on the uphil, pull your parking brake just to keep you from rolling back, press the clutch, engage the 1st, take the foot off the brake and get your RPM's to about 1500, then as the lights turn, slowly release clutch and play with the throttle, while your right hand is releasing the hand brake as you are picking up speed.
now that you are manual driver you will see that the only people that creep up on you at the stoplight without giving you any roll back room are the ones who have never driven manual. as a manual driver you never get on someone's bumper at the uphill stop light, because you know first hand about rolling back.
I had this guy in a brand new BMW sitting on my bumper at an uphill traffic light, as the light turned green i let the car rool back, almost hitting him, he blew his horn and i gave him a finger, i bet you next time he will not be getting on anyone's bumpers at an uphill stop.

bmx269
03-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Practice makes perfect. Practice when ever you can and you will get good at driving standard.

SeatownEP02
03-26-2003, 02:09 PM
yup practice is the key...the EP was my first manual too...i just practiced 2 hours a day with a friend and got it down in less than a week..u can do it man..its gonna be so fun when u start to get the hang of it