PDA

View Full Version : tint just the rear?

midas
03-28-2003, 11:51 AM
no tinting the front sides in california so i was thinking just the rear and rear sides and since my si is blk i think it looks ok? then i thought how about just the rear?
what do you think of 3 versus 1??
:rolleyes:

hamproof
03-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Most states, if you don't realize it, do not allow tints of any kind in the front windows. Even if it is legal, you need min. 50% light transmitability. 03 is suppose to have some factory green tint already. So, that even limits the amount of tint one can legally put on the car.

Just put a lighter tint in the front. I got 35% on mine up front and 20% in the rear.

midas
03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
its not worth the hassle to put any on front sides..doing th rear and sides only on a blk car i think looks better because at least it is integral to the car unlike a white or silver.

JDMEP3
03-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Yes I would definatly just tint the back sides and back window because this year is the 30th anniversary of the Civic Type R overseas and it has a "limo tint" on the back and rear side windows....that is what I'm going to do as well. Also for the fact that the COPS won't hasle you as much, because that would just give them an excuse to pull you over and maybe ticket you....believe me it's happened to me. I just didn't power down the front windows in time and was pulled over and fined. It sucked because I had to remove the tint and pay a fine but I didn't let it go that easy because I disputed the ticket and won.

civicSIracer
03-28-2003, 01:05 PM
its not worth the hassel you get from cops for window tint. i have only the back 3 windows tinted and it looks great.. i dont know about limo tint tho...

JDMEP3
03-28-2003, 01:07 PM
What kind of tint do you have civicSIracer? Pics?

civicSIracer
03-28-2003, 04:11 PM
http://www.redlineautosport.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album16
pics from OC meet

sleepinEP3
03-28-2003, 04:33 PM
i could understand just the rear, it doesnt look bad at all. my old 4 door was blacked out and after about $800 in tickets i was over it, so i stripped everything but the back because i didnt want to mess up those little orange lines. when people looked at the car from a front angle they thought all the windows were still tinted. when i go to Cali i always see cars with only the back windows tinted and i fell bad for you guys about that law, but i cant see how it looks good with only half your car tinted. i would rather not tint it at all.
as for my EP, it got 5% all around and 50% on the windshield.["you niggas cant see me. do do do do doo" 2pac]

IceD out N CALI
03-28-2003, 04:45 PM
tint all the way around (except windshield) look better that way.

RiceCzechs
03-28-2003, 05:30 PM
From what I've seen, seriously tinting only the back windows on a Black EP ends up making the car look a bit like a panel van. That might not actually be all that bad, but I'd probably go with a less pronounced tint in the rear windows and a very light tint up front to try and throw off the cops. If your car is seriously modded otherwise, I'd probably stay away from this technique, though, as many police officers will seek out highly modded vehicles and then throw the book at them... if you're relatively innocuous, you might be able to get away with it, though... :)

midas
03-28-2003, 06:20 PM
thanks guys for the feedback..i'm going to have my friend sit in the car with my black jacket covering the rear side and i will decide then :confused:

tsa1
03-28-2003, 09:58 PM
alright, so the higer the % the lighter the tint.. right. so a 5% would be really dar and a 50% would be less darker. so could i get a 50% on the front side windows?

hamproof
03-29-2003, 06:42 AM
I went with 35% and even that it is very light but it is good enough for me. 35%, the cops can still see me, at least the outline of me clearly. 20% (which is what I have in the back and rear) is a lot darker (though of course not as much as 5%).

35% is illegal in MI, but I haven't been stopped yet.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to tint, do a windshield banner too BUT NOT a body color banner in vynil. I wish I had gone darker like 5% or limo tint as my banner. Mine is 20% but it helps a lot when you are driving into the direction of the sun even with sunglasses on.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
03-31-2003, 10:31 AM
I rather save my interior. :cool:

5% all around and
6" 5% down the front windshield then the rest of windshield in 35%. Nice and dark on my black EP. No cops messing with me. Since the entire car is black it blends in. I will develop my camera soon this weekend and will post pix. (Yes I am too poor for a digital camera:'( )

Florida Law:

35% Front
20% Back
None on windsheild past AS1 Line

LedFoot
03-31-2003, 12:40 PM
I've been contemplating on doing tints also. I have the Smurf Blue 03 and I'm not sure if tinting just the rears will look okay. I already stand out from the crowd with the cops... so I don't wanna get pestered even more. :angel:

AkronSi
03-31-2003, 03:29 PM
I sort of like just the rear tinted. I doubt that I'd ever do it (there are other things for me to do to my car). Go for it. You can always add the fronts later if you want.

midas
04-18-2003, 08:32 PM
thanks for all the feedback..i ended up going with limo dark on the rear 3 windows and it looks puuurrfect! cost me $140. not sure about other colors but on a black si you cant go wrong with just doing the rears it looks tight.

if you are in the bay area try this guy out> Andy, his company is called "tint on wheels" 510.506.8468
he works out of a few dealerships in the east bay? but i hooked up with him in south city near serramonte.
all he needs is a plug...a real pro.

-midas

02SiBlk
04-18-2003, 11:03 PM
I want to tint all of mine, but the law here is 50%. The problem is that the door windows already have some tint on them, which makes tinting exactly to 50% difficult. I'll probably just get 20-35% around the back. The front can be done later if I change my mind. The cops worry me more than the sun does.