PDA

View Full Version : Can I get everyone's honest opinion of RSX type S?

snubnose
03-29-2003, 09:41 AM
The dealer near me has about 20 2003 RSX Type S on the lot.

Hw do you think they compare to the Si?

To me, they look good, have Honda quality, higher redline, more hp, great handling and suspension.

What do you think?

Tragedy
03-29-2003, 11:04 AM
I've never driven an US-spec Integra DC5, but from what I can say about the DC5 Type-R...it's a handling dream. This car is one of the best handling FWD cars I've ever driven. If it just had some torque, it'd be a perfect car. My favorite part, the shifter. It's flawless.

IceD out N CALI
03-29-2003, 12:14 PM
I think they're great

dc5-K20A3
03-29-2003, 12:20 PM
If you're contemplating on which car to get and you can afford to get the Type-S, then I'd say go for it over the SI.

JSIR
03-29-2003, 12:25 PM
well built car, very nice, much better than an Si of course, but in the overall picture they are still rather slow compared to other competition on the market right now and soon to come. Lots of other cars out there as good or better for someone that may be interested in a higher level of performance. But the RSX-S is still a great car overall. If you get an RSX-S and try to make it quicker it still requires a few grand whereas some other cars you just buy them off the lot and they are quick from the get go.

Just my $.02

BlasTech
03-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Too much money for the badge... its nearly the same car for a huge markup.

Also, in my opinion, the RSX is somewhat lacking in personality compared to the Si. From certain angles, they can look like Chevy Cavaliers.

Dont get me wrong, I like the RSX-S; I just like the Si more.

Shpoo
03-29-2003, 08:21 PM
The only complaint I had with the car was the headroom for the passengers in the back. But in the end I couldn't justify paying $10k more for it than the Si.

SIxtasy
03-29-2003, 09:55 PM
I remember when i bought my SI. The dealership had 3 used type S's sitting right next to an SI. At that point I was considering both, but when I saw them side by side. I couldn't justify the $4500 more for 40HP. I really felt the type S had a Cheap interior. Hell, when I opened the door from inside, the door handle was bending as I pulled it. All in all, I feel the type S is a good car but definitly not worth $23700. I could have had one at invoice ($21700), But my SI just spoke to me. It said " BUY ME " I did.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mr.02BlackSIguY
03-29-2003, 10:40 PM
the type S is fast and all but i think the SI is WAY more fun to drive. theres TOO many RSX out there. its too common.

snubnose
03-30-2003, 06:36 AM
I test drove a Type S again yesterday. This time, the drive lasted about 25 minutes. I knew that to properly test the car I needed to keep the rpm at least at about 4500.

Almost everyone here knows more about cars than I. So please, offer your feedback about my impressions.

The first negative about the Type S was the sound of the engine. It sounded harsh and buzzy. The Si sounds a lot better to me.

The second negative was the acceleration. It felt sluggish, even though I tried to maintain a respectable rpm. The Si always accelerates cleanly and instantly. The Type S actually lagged and had a dead spot when I shifted to a new gear.

The handling on the Type S was excellent, however, with very little body roll on the twisty course I tried.

RiceCzechs
03-30-2003, 08:44 AM
I'd like to echo everyone's existing sentiments. It is a nice car, to be sure, but the premium over the Si and my penchant for unique machinery makes it a no-go. The RSX definitely has a sportier look than the EP does, but it isn't earth-shatteringly beautiful, and in truth it is a rather derivative look that already appeared to be a year or two old at the time it hit the streets.

Not only that, but one probably has to expect significantly higher insurance rates. Take that 8-10k premium over the Si, have someone throw together a complete intercooled turbo kit, tighten up the suspension and get some sticky 17's, and you'll still have $$$ left for a body kit, short shifter, exhaust, or a system... That, and you'll have a completely original car with more space and more pace than the RSX...

Of course, you could just go for a WRX or save for a EVO, or hell, go for an SRT-4, if you can stand the Neon base and unappetizing rear wing (I'd make that my own personal "delete option"). :)

gito
03-30-2003, 09:34 AM
This is the same question I had a few days ago when I got my Si. But what changed our minds was the unique styling of the Si compared with the RSX. The RSX is just another coupe, it looks too much like new Chrysler Sebring coupe. We never drove one, so I can't tell you how it feel's to drive one, but one thing about the Si, you would drive it the first time and you would FALL IN LOVE with it, I guarantee that;)

Loudpedal
03-30-2003, 10:50 AM
The RSX-S was the car I orig. planned on getting. After deep Honda discounts on the 2002 Si(R) I could no longer justify the extra 10K in price for the RSX-S. The EP seems to be a spirituial successor to many things Honda, however I can't say the same about the RSX.

To quote the Nissan Exterra commercial, "...everything you need, nothing you don't."

SiR Medic
03-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Although the RSX is nice...

I like the EP better!

You can actually fit 4 people in it, plus their stuff.

Also, you don't see them all over the place like the RSX.

Not only that, but our seats rock and the shifter's on the dash! Do you hear me? ON THE DASH!

2k2_nbp_egg
03-30-2003, 05:07 PM
The si or type S? [si nazi] Get it for the unique styling extra space and low end torque!!!! [/si nazi]

So in reality, if you have the money, don't even think twice and buy the type S. The leather, the...imo...better looking exterior, the double wishbone, the rims, the gauges, and of course, the 200 hp (more potential) and 6th gear. The only type S I drove left me with a smile on my face after I redlined third. Reminded me of my old Si, shifter at the bottom, sunroof controls at the left, and power from 6-8k rpm. Except better. Alot better. Me and my friend (base rsx) washed our cars and then fantasized if we had an arctic blue and NBP type S. But oh well, I'm still very happy with my car :)

MUSASHI
03-30-2003, 08:48 PM
where is a 10K price difference ??? sticker on my Si was $19400 , and oooonly 10K difference ( in sticker prices)is if you buy Type S with every option out there , including the new Aero kit , or whatever they call it . I got my Si for $16.5 K , and you can get Type S for around 22-23 K , so all I see is around 5K difference , and you need to pay that much only to get typeS tranny , which everyone here wants . And I don`t see any crazy discounts on Type S out there , do you ?? Blue book value on my car is 18995 now , with 6000K miles on it , but how do I sell it for anywhere close to that when you can buy brand new ones for less than 17 Grand ? So buy your self type S , smoke any of us here at the forum ( Unless some one has 5K in aftermarket stuff to make it as fast as you) and enjoy your 6 speed and leather , and everything else. My 2 cents :)

jo3y
03-30-2003, 09:46 PM
hatch > coupe

SiR Medic
03-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
The si or type S? [si nazi] Get it for the unique styling extra space and low end torque!!!! [/si nazi]

So in reality, if you have the money, don't even think twice and buy the type S. The leather, the...imo...better looking exterior,the double wishbone

:rolleyes: Double wishbone?

Since when does the RSX have double wishbone?

Last time I checked, it had the same struts as the Si...

JruSi02
03-31-2003, 05:25 AM
In my opinion the type-s is hot, i got the si cause i didn't have enough money for the type-s, i do hear many times about how people dont like the backseats so if you have many friends you may wanna think bout it, all my friends always say they like sittin in the back of my car cause its so comfortable and roomy, that and when i'm drivin they're too scared to sit in the front seat, haha, but it depends on what your lookin for, if you're goin for higher redline, lil faster, lil more luxurious, etc go with the type-s, if you feel you dont need all that then get the si but most of all, GO WITH WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE ITS YOU CAR AND NO ONE ELSES!

hamproof
03-31-2003, 06:49 AM
Personally in the Si came in the 99/00 bodystyle, I won't be in this forum.

Though the majority of people love coupes, there are a select few who prefers hatchback. And I'm one of those people who prefer the hatchback style of the Si over the RSX/RSX-S. The hatchback style of the RSX, though provides more flexibility in terms of storage over a coupe, it can't beat the functionality of the Si hatchback.

RSX actually looks pretty ugly to me.

02 RSX-S could be bought for $21k at the same time the 02 Si were selling for $16k in my area. So, it is more like $5k someone posted rather than $8k-$10k. $5k for 40HP, 16" rims, climate control, 6 speed, better warranty, leather seats etc. Is it worth the extra money? You decide.

King Kang
03-31-2003, 08:33 AM
If the type-s came with a LSD.....then I'd say go for it! For me, it just doesn't have the same amount of value that the SI has. You should go test drive the round headlighted WRX to see if you like it....they're practically giving those away now. You can be assured that it doesn't have honda build quality though. I don't know about price ($27k?), but is there a 350 z in your budget? You might want to give it a look too, but its probab too expensive.

ps...don't bother saving up for the EVO 8, it will be lame when the STI comes out. IMO Mitsu's stink (just like mazdas, fords, chrystlers.....)

peace

CleanBlackSi02
03-31-2003, 09:43 AM
If I didn't need the cargo space to lug my guitar gear I would have bought a Type S...but that's the reason I ditched my 5th Gen Prelude. The Si is a nice compromise. Would I buy another Si if mine was totalled or stolen...probably not. I'd try and get a WRX wagon.

2k2_nbp_egg
03-31-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

:rolleyes: Double wishbone?

Since when does the RSX have double wishbone?

Last time I checked, it had the same struts as the Si...

My bad...when i test drove it the sales man told me that it had double wishbone opposed to our car...and i remember seeing double wishbone on the information sheet on the window as well, but it was reactive link double wish bone rear...which is also what we have. Whoops.

Burgh
03-31-2003, 01:01 PM
The S is a beautiful car, great fun to drive, etc etc. I, like many others, couldn't justify the $4k price diff. I don't drag race, so I really didn't see the need for the extra 40hp at sky-high rpms. Handling-wise, they are probably similar, IMO. Looks are subjective. Also, I = cheap bastard = 87 gas for the Si vs 91 for the S. :D

Oh, and the second biggest reason that I didn't get the S - I HATE leather seats!!!

If you're considering the S and can afford it, I'd also look into the WRX and the 350Z for a few $k more.

blueiedgod
03-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by King Kang
If the type-s came with a LSD.....then I'd say go for it! For me, it just doesn't have the same amount of value that the SI has. You should go test drive the round headlighted WRX to see if you like it....they're practically giving those away now. You can be assured that it doesn't have honda build quality though. I don't know about price ($27k?), but is there a 350 z in your budget? You might want to give it a look too, but its probab too expensive.

ps...don't bother saving up for the EVO 8, it will be lame when the STI comes out. IMO Mitsu's stink (just like mazdas, fords, chrystlers.....)

peace

stamford subaru had a red WRX special for $21000 with 10 miles, not 10 000, just 10 miles. it was a 2002, in january 2003 i drove it. but coming from honda, i could not see my self driving such a crude vehicle (probably get flamed for that). I am used to the smoothness of the honda engine and the silky shifter. Si for $15K was a very good deal for me, since I have been longing for a civic hatchback in the EX trim.
When the RSX's first came out, we went out and drove one, it drives fine, but my girlfriend, who is 5 feet tall, felt very claustophobic in it. she said it felt like she was sitting in a bucket.

Spidey
03-31-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech

Also, in my opinion, the RSX is somewhat lacking in personality compared to the Si. From certain angles, they can look like Chevy Cavaliers.

Dont get me wrong, I like the RSX-S; I just like the Si more.
I used to tell people the same thing that it kinda reminds me of a cavalier, they thought i was on crack or something....anyway, I think it's a nice car. i have yet to drive one, but i thought the interior and quality was nice.

I test drove a WRX for fun again this past weekend. Still is a blast to drive but I had forgotten how cheap the interior was and the seat bolsters were flimsy. The Si interior is far more superior. hehe

StrangeShadow
03-31-2003, 04:08 PM
I ran back and forth from the honda and acura dealers trying both for a couple days, in bot merced and modesto. When I saw the rsx-s I saw, "integra" that's why I loved it, but when I saw the si, I fell in love w/it. Dispite hp/torque I haven't found another car that I have enjoyed driving more. Plus I have a thing for hatchbacks =). Go w/what fits you more, for me it was a hatch, besides you can always swap k-series engines =D.

golferjn
03-31-2003, 04:14 PM
the rsx type s is a very nice car

King Kang
03-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Spidey

I test drove a WRX for fun again this past weekend. Still is a blast to drive but I had forgotten how cheap the interior was and the seat bolsters were flimsy. The Si interior is far more superior. hehe

YO! I thought (and posted) the exact same thing after test driving the WRX! What a flimsy feeling interior! The whole car just felt kinda cheap, esp from the inside.

peace