PDA

View Full Version : dilemma

!@#$%
08-01-2002, 10:37 PM
(cliffs posted at bottom)

Ok guys, I havent posted much here but if you would hear me out I would appreciate it.

I plan on purchasing a new car around april or so...(ballpark figure) and I really want an RSX-s. The reason for the new car purchase is that my parents are going through some steep finacial situations right now and i want to get my 01 civic payment off his back. (sigh)

If I plan on spending that much money I will be upgrading regardless. I don't think that I will be able to afford the type S and transfer to a larger university coming up fall of 03.

Are all of you really genuinely happy with the purchase of your car? I've sat in one. Loved it. Appearance, I see pure potential for something good to turn to something great. I have yet to drive one and will look into that tomorrow. Went once and all they had was one NBP. guess they are selling well. (it was showroom so no testdrive there :( )

I just don't want to feel cheated by anything. I am a Honda/Acura fanatic so I could care less about SER being cheaper. (imho its cheaper in more ways than one)

Cliff notes: I'm scared that I will not be happy if i purchase the new si. I need re-assurance that if I can't get a rsx-s then the si will suit me just fine. Im going for a test drive tomorrow. One more thing, 02's will be ending the 1st year about the time i plan to buy. Might just get one for under invoice. :confused: I always get jacked on deals! :mad:

thanks for your patience!

iR-VTEC2
08-01-2002, 11:53 PM
i think you will be happy with both choices. It's pretty much personal opinion that's gonna decide for you. In my case.....i LOVE my hatch. I am 100% happy with it and it just keeps on suprising me. I'm pretty sure i'd feel the same way about an RSX.

Weight out the pros and cons. Which one do you see yourself in?

2k2civicSi
08-02-2002, 12:04 AM
all i have to say is DRIVE IT the rsx-s is sweet but its alot of money if i had the money i woulda got a type-s
but i love hatchbacks

punkdork
08-02-2002, 12:41 AM
Education is more important than a car man. I like the Si. I wish it had more power. However if I were going to the RSX-S price range I'd just get a WRX. The RSX is so much less car in my opinion. If you're afraid the Si won't be enough, get a used car so you can have money to buy mods and what not.

2k2civicSi
08-02-2002, 12:56 AM
good point

iR-VTEC2
08-02-2002, 01:33 AM
He said he wont be able to afford a type S. Just probably the base RSX.

Because you are going to a university, id just get a cheapy car that you dont give a crap about. You have more important things to worry about like....parties and chicks and gettin that roomie out when you bring a honey home :D

snubnose
08-02-2002, 01:55 AM
You won't be missing that much if you don't get the RSX. I test drove one. It had bad acceleration and the engine sounded buzzy. In contrast, the Si takes off like a rocket and the engine sounds wonderful.

Listen, go to the clubrsx "problems and solutions" forum. Many owners are extremely disappointed with their rsx. Acura has had to put out a service bulletin to fix a grinding gear problem. Owners complain of rattles, noise, fit and finish problems, and they are furious about the awful ist to 2nd gear grind.

To top it all off, the Si looks so much better than the RSX. The RSX looks just like a Chevy Cavalier.

The Si is a better car than the RSX. Don't believe the hype. Listen to the owners.

iR-VTEC2
08-02-2002, 01:58 AM
take a gander at this post, snubnose

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=755

WOW

i-WERKS
08-02-2002, 05:58 AM
yup I test drove the RSX too before buying the SiR (canada). Although they're the same engine. The SiR seems more zippy than the RSX however I felt the RSX was more sturdy in sharp turns. If you want to pick up chicks in your car, you can fit 4 girls in the civic and if you're lucky 3 in the RSX since there's no room in the back.

chunky
08-02-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
yup I test drove the RSX too before buying the SiR (canada). Although they're the same engine. The SiR seems more zippy than the RSX however I felt the RSX was more sturdy in sharp turns. If you want to pick up chicks in your car, you can fit 4 girls in the civic and if you're lucky 3 in the RSX since there's no room in the back.

the only reason the RSX was more "sturdy" in sharp turns is b/c of the better tires.

the si supposedly has the stiffer chassis, hence the extra weight.

overall, I feel that the si is the better handling car. The 2002 si shares the exact same chassis and suspension as the civic type-r.

IMO, if you're into straight line acceleration, you won't be happy with the si until you have some engine work done to it, the rsx-s is considerably faster in any acceleration tests.

However, the si is a lot more fun to drive, it has a 4ft advantage in turning radius over the RSX due to the electronic power steering with variable gear ratio. When I auto-x my car, I'm consistently pulling times that make most RSX-s owners wonder wether i've really only got 160hp.

and the interior of the si beats the rsx (except for the gauges, the rsx needles point straight down when the car is off, oh, and the climate control).

anyhow, the si is a great car and you'll be happy with it no question, unless your main thing is straight line racing.

MadMax
08-02-2002, 08:01 AM
Snubnose: why would you trash the rsx? I've have had mine for a few months now and have had 0 problems. There were a few issues with the first few production runs of cars but as far as I know they are all up to honda/acura standards now and have been for months.
Maybe if ephatch.com HAD a "problems and solutions" forum we could compare apples to apples?

As for your comment about acceleration, I'm not sure why you would think the Si is any faster than the base rsx. Both cars seem to run around 16 seconds on average and 15.7-15.8 with a good driver and the right conditions.

And this:

To top it all off, the Si looks so much better than the RSX. The RSX looks just like a Chevy Cavalier.

LOL I dont have to remind you of a certain small ford that the Si has been compared to, do I?

MadMax
08-02-2002, 08:08 AM
Oh, yeah... sorry you're right: it looks EXACTLY like a cavalier.:rolleyes:

snubnose
08-02-2002, 08:23 AM
madmax:

I'm glad you have had no problems with your (admittedly beautiful) RSX. I hope you never do.

But I can back up my criticisms with evidence. Go to rsxclub website and find the "problems and solutions" forum. There, you will find literally hundreds of disgruntled owners who "expected more for [their] $25,000."

MadMax
08-02-2002, 08:40 AM
I've already responded to that, snubnose.

And consider that there are probably 30 to 40 RSX's on the road already for every 1 Si, and it is a statistical probability that more problems will arise.

Burgh
08-02-2002, 08:46 AM
If $ is an issue, go with the Si, man. Since they're not selling too well, people are getting them for UNDER invoice already. It's performance is right on par with the base RSX but definitely a notch lower than the S. But then you come back to - $18000 vs $23000.

The biggest complaint about the Si is how the torque curve falls off at higher rpms (not to mention the low redline). What's the most common mods on Hondas? Intake, Headers, and Exhaust, right? What do they all improve more than anything? Top end power. Bottom line, the potential is there once the aftermarket develops a bit more.

Get the Si and go to the good school. When you get out you'll be making more money so you can go out and get a Type R. ;)

greenguy
08-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Dont forget the difference in insurence! Almost $30 a month cheaper for the Si Vs. a RSX-S.
Also I personally dont want the stigma of "I drive an Acura":rolleyes:

dannysi
08-02-2002, 04:52 PM
My opinion. Buy the SI. I test drove the RSX-S and didn't like it at all. It felt sloppy and sluggish. The SI take off hard and feels more stable than the RSX. With the extra money you would save buying the SI instead of the RSX-S you can have more beer in College!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) (More Beer, More Women:cool: )