PDA

View Full Version : knock when breaking?

Sooky
08-01-2002, 10:40 PM
anyone hear like a knock sound when u brake on a slow speed comming from the rear driver side....

everytime i go down my hill and brake, i hear a knock on the first time i brake, but goes away when i brake again........ happens once in a while in other times, but always happens on that first time i brake down my hill

MagusDC5
08-01-2002, 10:42 PM
ummm...the only time I hear any sounds from my brakes on either of my Hondas is when it has rained recently and there is rust on the brake pads...other than that no noise at all.

ep3
08-02-2002, 01:00 PM
i get a clunk sound in the morning, as soon as i hit the brakes at the first stop sign down my street. i just wait for the sound to come, because i know it's gonna do it. the only thing is, with my car, i think it's coming from the front and not the rear. anyone know what is it???

ApexinSi
08-02-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm sure this is normal, I have the same problem....I'm guessing it's the caliper adjusting to the rotors..maybe rotors rusted a little while your car sat.
I forget every now and then and get a rush of braking real quick that first time...just make sure no one is looking...hehe :D

Rummey
08-02-2002, 08:32 PM
I got my first experience with anti-lock brakes today... TWICE. Hard braking into my friends driveway and hard braking into a strip mall. Actually, I hope it was Antilock, I am assuming. It felt exactly like try to shift from 2nd to 3rd without disengaging the clutch, but it felt in the brake pedal not the shifter.

broad_st.
08-02-2002, 09:27 PM
i have the same problem except mine comes from the rear
when i turn fast or hit a bump in the road
gonna take it into the dealer
might be the shocks

chubbychu
08-07-2003, 02:13 AM
hm...i know im about a year too late for this post...but did anyone actually figure out whats the noise when braking? its like when i first leave the driveway in the morning and slow down to go through the gutter and than brake completely to start going foward...it clunks, but after that...its gone. something to be concerned about?

EDIT: i have been really abusing my brakes, and im at about 10k miles. so i dunno if thats a factor.

Sooky
08-07-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
hm...i know im about a year too late for this post...but did anyone actually figure out whats the noise when braking? its like when i first leave the driveway in the morning and slow down to go through the gutter and than brake completely to start going foward...it clunks, but after that...its gone. something to be concerned about?

EDIT: i have been really abusing my brakes, and im at about 10k miles. so i dunno if thats a factor.

lol, i posted this up like a year ago or something

i've noticed that it'll clunk when i go reverse & brake, then clunk again when i go forward & brake after that.... and it'll keep clunking if i keep going backwards and forwards... so at least now i know what to do to tell dealer. unfortunately, now 3 of my brakes goes clunk =/

chubbychu
08-07-2003, 02:25 AM
man, i would go to my dealer...but they are so nice and it seems like they are sick of me. i go in for EVERYTHING! man, well, im going in for an oil change...i guess ill tell them about the squeaky left hand turns the clunking breaks and everything else i complain about. =0(

Suk02Si
08-07-2003, 02:31 AM
Yeah mine clunks too, its normal.. I guess. I wonder what causes it.

02SilverSiHB
08-07-2003, 04:25 AM
a year later and mine still does it...never really bothered me since it's only once in the morning.

i-WERKS
08-07-2003, 06:14 AM
I've found a way to fix that clunk when you brake for the first time of the day. I sprayed the caliper with silicon lube where the moving parts are. It's been about 6 months and I haven't heard anything from it since.

lastsaga
08-07-2003, 12:25 PM
my parents have a 2002 honda oddysey and we have the same rear brake problem. i took it to the dealership and to the local mechanics and they both said it's not a big problem, something about a loose caliper which will adjust/align itself when you give the car that first brake in the morning.

dunno for sure, they said if it really bothered us they will take a closer look and replace it, but i hear it's not an uncommon noise

!@#$%
08-07-2003, 09:40 PM
this was brought up in 2001 with the 7th gen civics. everyone came to the conclusion that the brake pads have just a little space sitting inside the caliper, and when pressure is applied....the brake pad slides inside the caliper knocking against the opposite side of the caliper. that's why it happens when in reverse. When you brake in reverse, the brake pad slides to the top, then when you take off it slides to the bottom of the caliper when braking. hope that made sense.

longest run on ever.

glizard
08-13-2003, 04:58 PM
the brake caliper bridge is designed to allow a little space for
the brake pad backing plate to expand in the bridge if it gets hot
the noise you are hearing is the pads shifting from the front of the bridge to the rear or the other way around depending upon what direction you are going
this will happen every time you change direction from forward to reverse and then apply the brakes. the noise does not happen again unitl you change direction and shift the pads to the other side of the caliper bridge

SoCaLep3
08-13-2003, 06:09 PM
whew :), all this time i thought it was only me... im relieved to hear that its not a problem

chubbychu
08-13-2003, 09:01 PM
ahhh whew, ill quit worring now and enjoy the knock, someone should stickey this, so people dont have to worry like i have