PDA

View Full Version : EPS failure...?!

Tekdemon
03-30-2003, 08:10 PM
OK, this has me a little freaked out...yesterday I was reading in Consumer Reports that the worst problems occur with electrical systems after a while, which usually is just minor problems getting worse over time...

So today I was in my car thinking about it, and I go and park, but before I park I drive around attempting to turn tighter than usual(basically pulling a bunch of U-turns quickly), and I think I did like 6 U-Turns in about 2 minutes. Then I parked and sat there in neutral listening to music and revving my engine while rolling the window down to hear it =P (I was waiting for the bus to get back to my campus...my parking is really lousy and is a bus ride away and on a different campus...yes parking sucks that bad here) when all of a sudden I notice the EPS light had come on.

I started worrying and killed the engine, then put it back into the "ON" position, but the light was still there, and the steering wheel was obviously a lot harder to turn since EPS was off...

So I shut down again waited like 5 seconds, and restarted the car and EPS was working again...but now I'm worried about what the hell is going on...

I don't want EPS to quit halfway through a serious turn and catch me off guard and send me into a rail or something...what the hell do I do?!

NXK20
03-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Same happened to me last night, I was sitting in line at the track and all of a sudden it came on. I didn't know what the hell it even stood for so I just killed the car for about 5 seconds and started it back and the light was off.

Tekdemon
03-30-2003, 08:29 PM
oh man I hope this isn't going to be a big problem...cuz the EPS is probably pretty hard to replace seeing as how only Si's and the S2000 have EPS and I'm pretty sure the S2000 version isn't perfectly compatible...

Gak...

cease
03-30-2003, 08:44 PM
the EPS light came on the second day i had my ride, while driving on the freeway. i took it to the dealer and they couldnt figure out why the light came on. its fine now....

NeuroSi
03-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Hey guys,

Acording to the Honda service manual, There are a couple situations where the EPS indicator will come on, even though the sytem is operating normally. Observe...

Condition #1:
- The vehicle was travelling at least 12.4 mph (20 km/h), then
-A rapid change in vehicle speed was detected, then
- The vehicle (or the vehicle speed sensor signal) stopped for at least 5 seconds.
- The engine speed was still 1,640 rpm or higher for at least 20 seconds.

Condition #2
- After the vehicle (or the vehicle speed sensor signal) has stopped for at least 10 seconds, yet the engine speed was still 1,640 rpm or higher for at least 20 seconds.

Condition #3
- When the engine speed is 280 rpm or less, and the vehicle is travelling at a speed of 6.2 mph (10 km/h) or more for 3 seconds.

The symptoms here, seem to indicate Condition #2 ( I am assuming that NXK20 was also revving while waiting in line...).
Based on this I am diagnosing you both with a serious case of rev happiness. Go kill a Focus and call me in the morning.

For the record, if I am incorrect and conditon # 3 applies, please mercifully return your car to the dealer and go buy a Focus.

That is all...

Tekdemon
03-30-2003, 10:21 PM
lol so rev happy nuts like us get EPS cut off? =P

I suppose that can actually be kind of neat if you feel like attempting to drive without power steering just for kicks...

Mugen Power
03-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Fi kicks? Driving w/o power steering sucks...

Tekdemon
03-31-2003, 12:16 AM
lol when I was a kid and we were poorer, we had a Nissan Sentra from 1983...no power steering, manual, manual windows, 50HP car...

It was super lightweight and uber unsafe =)

But the no power steering builds muscles said my dad =P

ah memories...the poor car died with like 55K on the odometer because it got hit by a car years ago and it had apparently caused a small fracture to start developing...and this eventually cracked some cylinder heads or something...ugh