PDA

View Full Version : Help with my CIA!?!?!?

iVtec si
04-01-2003, 07:54 AM
I just got an AEM cia and I think they sold me the wrong one a friend of mine that has worked on many imports came over to help me install it and we're stuck!!! The only way we could get the pipe to fit into the engines intake, it was sticking out of the wheel wel.... I'm not sure what to do. I'm not that much of a mechanic myself. I did read some thing in the AEM instructions that made it sound like you have to take off the driver side wheel/tire? is that true?:(

Hatch, Si Hatch
04-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Yea, its recommended that you take off the drivers side wheel/tire. You have to pop out the little tabs in the wheel well and pull it down. The filter will basically sit under the fender in the bumper compartment, so you have the right part. I just did mine the other day, and it wasn't easy really. Much more difficult than any other intake I've installed. Once you pull the wheel well liner down it will begin to make more sense. What I did was download the "how to" in the projects section of this website and then compared it with the AEM instructions and then finally figured it out. Neither the instructions nor the How to from this site are detailed enough.

Hatch, Si Hatch
04-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Oh, and its AEM CAI...you have CIA....heheh. CAI = Cold Air Intake.

iVtec si
04-01-2003, 08:10 PM
thanks for the tip I made a few calls and got the same advice from a few friends...

and about the CIA I had a big brain fart I um.. wasn't in the right state of mind when I wrote that I'd just woke up!

thanks alot for the info!

;)

peace

Chris

TravisEP3
04-01-2003, 09:19 PM
LOL, me and my buddy were stumped for a good 20 minutes.

"Where the hell does this thing guy"

<curves towards rear of engine bay>

"What the *#%$?!?!"

<curves back near front tire>

"I dont get it"

<bangs head>

"AHAHAHAHA"

<prys tabs in fender well and finally figures out that the bottom part of the pipe sits inside of the fender and is impossible to figure out>

The best way to describe it is this. When you oil your filter... to access it pry the three tabs out in the fenderwell (drivers side) towards the front of the car starting at the bottom. You can pull the liner towards the inside of the fenderwell enough to get to the filter. Once you stick the filter in and angle it up a little bit you can then see where the pipe goes. I put a CAI on my old civic no prob. This one baffled me and my bud. Dont feel bad. We did a little cutting of the fenderwell to make the pipe fit better but not that much.

Hatch, Si Hatch
04-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Yea, I was thinking of cutting the fender liner too, but I was in such a hurry to finish up after fighting with it for so long I figured I would just go back and do it later. Still haven't got around to it though...heheh.

greenguy
04-02-2003, 01:22 PM
My install took about 3 hrs.
Also there is a mistake in the write up. It calls for a 13mm socket on the engine ground mount and it should be a 12mm.
My fender is bulging, so I guess Ill be cutting also!

TravisEP3
04-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I was curious if anyone else had cut there fender well. I did mine so that the CAI pipe did not get all f'd up by the fender well. Damn thing took me almost 3 hours too. Dont even get me started about how I dropped the rubber grommet for the sensor into the tube. I was pissed. Luckily it fell all the way down and all I had to do was pull the fender out a bit and then yank the filter off.

fenixtxrbf
04-08-2003, 01:35 PM
where is this aem cai video

G-J
04-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Greaaaaaat... I just bought my CAI. Looks like I'll be the next person with a swore forehead :D

jaydub
04-08-2003, 03:30 PM
I did trim my fenderliner with a dremel tool.

greenguy
04-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
I did trim my fenderliner with a dremel tool.
This is HIGHLY recomended!
Now I just need to get my lazzy ass out side and do it:D

fishboy
04-08-2003, 05:26 PM
hey fenix, here you go

http://www.ephatch.com/projects/aemcoldair.htm

not a video, but more than i mentioned in the pm if you have anymore trouble just hit up this thread i guess, i thought this was your thread.

fenixtxrbf
04-08-2003, 05:34 PM
where exactly does the filter go in the bumper area where the bumper lens is or does it go back behind the tire area

fishboy
04-08-2003, 05:38 PM
close to the lense yeah.

TravisEP3
04-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah it practically sits on the other side of the lens if I remember correctly.

Good luck it shouldn't be too bad if you take the fender well apart like I did.

;)

Si4U2NV
04-08-2003, 08:46 PM
here you go... for all your CIA needz! ;) sorry... im...sorry... hehe i had to...

http://www.cia.gov/

hehe:p

-Mike

Mugen_EP
04-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Si4U2NV
here you go... for all your CIA needz! ;) sorry... im...sorry... hehe i had to...

http://www.cia.gov/

hehe:p

-Mike

I'm glad someone finally helped this guy out..lol:D

What would the world be w/o smartasses?!!

Jontis
04-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by TravisEP3
Dont even get me started about how I dropped the rubber grommet for the sensor into the tube.

I did that too... :D

Took me about three hours as well.
I couldn't get the pipe in place...:(
When i loosened both parts of the fender well
it became a lot easier. :)