PDA

View Full Version : Switched & 12V

DynaSpeed
04-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Can somebody point me in the easiest direction to splice into a switched and constant power supply in the cabin?

jaydub
04-01-2003, 10:11 AM
The easiest way is to take the plastic covers off of the fuse panel, and find a constant and switched inside the fuse panel using a test light thing like this, which you can get at radio shack.

http://signaldynamics.com/images/testlamp2.jpg

DynaSpeed
04-01-2003, 12:20 PM
I was looking into tapping into the wires on the hazard switch. They seem like the easiest way to get some leads. I was just wondering if anybody knew which was which without a test light.

jaydub
04-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Just curious, why do you need these wires?

hamproof
04-01-2003, 01:03 PM
The hazard works regardless if the engine is running or not or the key in the ON position.

If you are not looking to run maybe a foot more of wires, I say tap into the lower ACC (where the cigarette lighter is suppose to go). Otherwise, wrap your wires around a fuse in the fuse box or get one of those 1->2 fuse splitter thingy. I am using the rear wiper (IIRC) fuse location to power my V1 radar detector.

oogy-boogy
04-02-2003, 10:35 AM
I would definately look into getting an "Add a fuse" like hamproof mentioned. You can get them at any Autozone or automotive chain store for ~ $5 (Mkae sure you get the one with the smaller type fuses for imports). Basically, you pull out a fuse and put it in. Your regular line is fused along with a new fused power supply. If you want it switched (ignition wise), put it in line with a switched fuse source (AC, Heater controls, etc). If you want constant power use a constant source (headlights, taillights, etc). It's very easy and you don't have to worry about splicing into your factory wiring. Good luck!!