PDA

View Full Version : For those that have driven both the 2000 and 2002 civic si

NewCar
04-01-2003, 01:38 PM
I did a search on this and found nothing. Howerver, I know everyone must of compared the old civic si, and the new one. I myself preferrably like the old one better however, for those who drove both of them could you leave me your feedback on both of them, ex. which one you like better, etc.

ULTRAMANIA
04-01-2003, 01:53 PM
i will try not to be too biased considering that i have the new si... but.. i honestly couldn't really tell the difference between the two in "which one is faster" but... if you look at the specs, the 02 si has more torque but it also the redline is much lower... potiential wise our k-series motors are freakin' dope as hell and have why more potiential then the b-series motors that the 2000 si has... but as for the ride...

both are good... but i love how the 02 si shifter works and feels... the gear ratios are awesome.... everything goes in so smoothly and our clutch is like a feather.. so light.. i love it..

02 si interior rocks the 2000 si, and i personally like the hatch look a lot better.. (probably biased as all hell but hey i have one. hehe)

anyways... i hope you do chose the new ep.. but it's ultimently up to you... both are good cars.. but if you ask for my advice.. i would say go with the EP.. potiential wise of the engine, the interior, fun as hell to drive.. (more so then the 2000 si i thought) goodluck with the decision...

Tenacious G
04-01-2003, 02:15 PM
for me, it boils down to everyday usability. the EP has more usable power, more usable space and is just more usable overall. my brother has a 99 Si w/ the JRSC. don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but all things being equal, the EP just offered more of what i was looking for.

and while i wasn't a fan of the styling at first, i've come to absolutely love it now. the old EM Si was essentially indistinguishable for the civic coupes aside from badging.

and i totally agree with ULTRAMANIA, this car has lots of potential. but the final decision is yours. either way, you're getting a great car.

Type X
04-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Engine

00si = raw power, high redline (less torque) but more "unrefined"
02si = bigger engine, super quiet, more torque but more of a "mature si"

Interior

00si = dx , lx hx and ex has same interior except for
holes in the headrests,non functional cup holders (2) , amber lighting and *si cluster*

02si = racing style seats, amber lighting 4 useable cupholders accesible to the driver, smaller steering wheel and "rally style short shifter"

Handling

00si = handles good lighter car cant complain

02si = handle s good HEAVIER but in stock form around tight turns the bigger gap makes u feel "unsafe"

Exterior

00si = beautiful lip + si rims + front grill = nice and "classy"

02si = ugly exterior

Overall Thoughts

00si = fun to drive, rev the crap out of it BUT if your a little older its less fun to go to dinner and rev to 8k to merge in and out of traffic BUT still FUN :)

02si = super comfortable, dont have to go to redline to move it, takes long trips and your back doesn't hurt , super silent and smooth on the highway with minimal bounce

Conclusion

00si = 8 out of 10 if u like fun , zippy car
BUT ungrade your seats and DROP IT

02si = 9 out of 10 if u like quiet , refined, AND dont wanna worry about someone stealing it
BUT if u like hi revving save your $ and buy the 00

swampdonkey
04-01-2003, 02:36 PM
I preffer the 02 Si in almost every way to the old Si except for the engines potential. The B series is much tougher from the factory. Even though it doesn't have much power down low its still has tons of aftermarket support and it is built to take more abuse.

Don't get me wrong I love the K series, but it isn't as durable in stock form as the B series is.

blueiedgod
04-01-2003, 03:14 PM
i have had both. i bought my 99 back in 99. can't believe i paid $17K back then. after a year or so, got tired of the high strung engine. it was fun, but just to get any kind of motion you needed to wring it out. the interior was very cheaply made for the price tag.
the new si, since i am 4 years older, i think it fits my current needs. i can safely shift at 2500-3000 without boggin the engine. i just went to home depot and broght back a 7 foot pipe with the hatch closed, plus ton of other hardware. rear passengers, when have some, are very comfortable, in fact they are always express their surprise when they are in the back. they always comment on how it seems like the si has more room inside than outside.
as far as aftermarket support, b-series has been out for a quite a long time, give k-series a few years and there will be support.
i have seen prices on the used 99-2000 si's and quite frankly, if you are willing to pay $14K for a 2-3 year old civic, that may have been abused, might as well get a brand new, grown up si for $15K.
just my 2 cents

Burgh
04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
They're both great cars and really fun to drive, you can't go wrong with either. It all depends on what you want and what you like.

Common praise for the 00 - high-fun redline, good handling

Common complaints about the 00 - sucky seats, no torque, cheap interior, crappy tires, bland styling (subjective)

Common praise for the 02 - more torque and smooth motor, good handling, great interior, great seats

Common complaints about the 02 - low redline and no vtec 'kick', ugly styling (subjective), crappy tires

My take - the 02 is more my style. I like hatchbacks and I love the seats, shifter, and torque.

r3p00c
04-01-2003, 03:19 PM
I have the opportunity to drive both... I have the '02 and my fiance drives the '00. They are completely different cars, in terms of feel, powerband, handling, and looks, and this makes it pretty hard to make a decision between the two of which one is 'better'.

Like TypeX has already said, with the '00, you get all of your power at the top-end, and this is great if you love winding your car out all the time. Gearing is slightly different due to the powerband, and the interior is pretty average. The Si was in a different stage in this year; it was pretty much still just a civic ex coupe with a DelSol engine and different interior cloth. The major plus of this car is the feel/sound of the engine... there's nothing quite like hearing a little b16 driven up to the redline, and also feeling the turbo-esque vtec lobe kick in.

On the other hand, you have the '02 Si, which in my opinion is what Honda thought the next step of the Si badge should be. You no longer have a ex model with a little more power and other minor things, but now you get an exclusive body-style, sporty interior, dash shifter, and a unique engine that is more responsive at all RPMs. You also have quite a different view over your hood with the '02 compared to the previous model, and it does take a little getting used to if you've been driving any other car for awhile.

Trust me, I love both cars, and its always fun to get into the '00 and feel that VTEC surge kick in late in the RPMs. I just like how I don't have to do that every time in my '02 to have access to all of my HP and torque. The Si 'grew up' into something more refined. It took awhile, but I've come to prefer the '02 over the '00.

Just my 2 cents :)

SHAKEnBAKE
04-01-2003, 03:30 PM
I'll totally go with type-x on this. The 02 is a more "mature" Si. The 00 feels raw, unrefined, brutal, not that those quality are bad, in fact those are it's strong point. The 02 in the other hand is much more useful as an everyday car, and potential wise, we ain't seen nuttin yet!:)

i02si
04-01-2003, 03:40 PM
my bro had a 00 si before getting a wrx it was a fun car. When i was 15 i would take the car out and go hit 8,000 rpm it cool for me but now since i have a 02 si u can tell that the 02 si is faster thats just my opinion. if you look at it on the performance side i would rather have the 02 si these cars got good torque.:D

CleanBlackSi02
04-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Everyone and their mom have a 99-00 Si...not to mention the theft rate. Although, I do prefer the Coupe's styling...

ULTRAMANIA
04-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
Everyone and their mom have a 99-00 Si...not to mention the theft rate. Although, I do prefer the Coupe's styling...

seriously.. i couldn't have said it any better... everyone has that model of the EK civic... it's everywhere... i don't see EPs very often, and i like that, but when i do i'm happy to see one cause it makes it that much more enjoyable to see another EP on the road as to hundreds and hundreds of EK civics...

CivicHB
04-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

Everyone and their mom has 99-00 BLUE Si, I never see them in red or black, but an Si with a trunk sucks cock hands down anyway. It is an EX with a B series and alloys big fucken deal. An Si should only be a hatchback. ONLY!

EM1's are the bastard children of the Si family tree.

CivicHB
04-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Sorry to those who enjoy the EM1 Si but it had to pointed out again.
Imagine if Honda had released a b16 99-00 EK hatchback instead of that bullshit EM1 with a trunk that broke tradition, the world would be a better place.

JSIR
04-02-2003, 05:42 PM
I've owned both , and personally I prefer my 02 SiR to the 99 SiR I had previously. There are tons of little improvements made to the new model which I find very nice. Everything from the stereo, antenna, clutch, brakes, seats, storage space, steering wheel, shifter, steering ratio, interior air filter, and chasis rigidity to name a few - plus the hatch feature is nice too. It is a much nicer daily driver IMO. very refined and well built. The last generation Si had a better rev limit, that is about all that I miss about that car. In terms of overall performance I doubt the average person could really notice any difference. I prefer the handling characteristics of the new Civic - with the same mods done to both cars the new Civic handles much better IMO. The new engine is quieter, smoother and of course had more torque. The rev limit is it's only downfall, but I've learned to live with it and still have a fun car. hth.

Joey

SinisterCivicSi
04-02-2003, 06:23 PM
here is my 2 cents:

the 2002 si is definatly more refined, in all aspects...the only thing about the car i would say that i "dont" like is that its so dam heavy...i believe its the heaviest civic out there to date...which sucks. can you imagine this beast of a car if it were about 400-500 lbs lighter?? wow
my husband just bought the 2000 red si and he loves it. i drove it on and off and its definatly a fun car....thats the one i origionally wanted. the engine is raspier/throatier which sounds cool but not when your dam near redlining it, it sounds strained.
the 02.....its a creeper, super quiet but very powerful and when your a hairline away from the redzone, she sounds great.
(even better with a good intake!)
We have a friend that has a 00 si and he has a bunch of stuff on his, header, cai, exhaust, shortshifter kit, "tweeked" gas flow, plug wires, etc.
we were all out one day and all i had in my 02 at the time was a aem short ram. Our buddy took off (which i was expecting - he thought he was going to put a whippin on the ep - HA)
and i was right behind him....he couldnt shake me for nuthin. HEE HEE HEE
lets say it was a good feelin.....oh and for you all that dont know about my car - that was WITH a f*#$d up cylinder.....its at honda now getting a new lower block.
i cant wait to get through my break in period, get that intake back on along with the header and my soon to come exhaust (not sure what to get - any suggestions??)
i am gonna eat me some 00 si for lunch lol
Why do guys hate it so much when girls beat them racing? LOL
Mary

JSIR
04-02-2003, 07:50 PM
my 99 SiR was putting out 170 whp and 120 ft lbs of torque at the wheels (which was over 200 hp at the crank) in naturally aspirated form just before I sold it, which was pretty nice, plus I had it revving to 8600 rpms ( I really miss the revs). But I think I can take my modified 02 SiR to just about the same time in the quarter mile with it making 150 whp and 128 ft lbs torque and a bit more weight.

yeah I'm one of those guys who hates seeing women racing anywhere around me !, he, he, he. I can't explain why though :rolleyes: