PDA

View Full Version : I give up on the ES mount inserts

DynaSpeed
04-01-2003, 07:47 PM
3.5 hours into it, and I give up. There is no way that the motor can swing out far enough to clear the front mount, even with the rear mount bolts out. I don't get it. That plastic wiring bundle gets in the way and it seems like you can't budge it. I even have another person prying and still nothing.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow if I get some good feedback, but I'm skeptical.

paralysis
04-01-2003, 08:06 PM
It can not be done; and it is a lot easier not too put them in.
I will buy them off of you for say $15.00 though.

Seriously, You can do it. Sometimes it is better to take a break
and try again later. Don't put a time limit on yourself, take your
time and have fun. You are making your EP just how you want it.

DynaSpeed
04-02-2003, 10:22 AM
It can not be done; and it is a lot easier not too put them in. Alright alright :p ... I know it can be done, but I know that I'm doing something wrong.

What would you suggest for clearing the front mount? I even tried to get the inserts in them without taking the mount totally out. No good on that either. I tried prying the motor all the way to the rear (It went pretty far, maybe 2-3 inches), and still not enough clearance. Maybe it's my strategy... does the mount come over the top? or fall out of the bottom? side?

And the rear mount... did everybody take the black bracket off? I heard that it's possible without, and I don't exactly see why you would need to unhook the downpipe to reach it.

DynaSpeed
04-03-2003, 06:33 PM
woo WOOOO --

finally got it done. Things I overlooked at the beginning:

- You *must* unbolt the 2 bolts connecting the downpipe
- You *must* remove the header heat shield to allow the motor to swing enough to have enough clearance for the front mount
- You *probably* have to remove the black bracket to get the rear mount out and back in.

BTW- These things were worth it. :)

paralysis
04-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear you got it, I knew you could.
Now that I talked you into finishing the install, and you know all of the. Have to do this and don't do that, with the install.
Now you can help me install them on my Ep.

Sorry, I did not see your question in the last post, But I could not have answered it anyway. I was just giving you mental support.

Dunrick
04-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Now that your done - How does it feel? Pretty shakey at idle? People keep giving mixed reviews - some say it vibrates all the way through the powerband....some say after 1k rpms its all gone.....I wanna know before I buy these - cause I want ride quality aswell......Thanks

DynaSpeed
04-04-2003, 07:02 AM
I appreciate the support Paralysis :p
and I'll help you out. Drive over here with 'em, and I think we can get them on and everything bolted back up in less than 2 hours, now that I know exactly how to avoid the hangups. Drive over with Crex2nr... he's coming out here.

'The Review' - Honda definitely would *not* be able to sell the car with these installed. The car just has that "raw" feeling... it definitely ain't your dad's Cadillac.
The vibration isn't through the powerband. Only at startup and at 1k is the vibration really prominent. It's hard to explain... It just seems like the motor has more control of the wheels now.

myeverlovinsir
04-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Congrats, I may be able to make it to Milan this weekend DynaSpeed. Looks like Doug is taking his sweet time on getting my ECU done. Arrg! Will see ya there if I go. Cheers.:D

chunky
04-04-2003, 10:00 AM
I just got mine today. I'm excited.

too bad I have to work on sat. morning. I guess i'll be doin the install out in the sun with my lungs clogging up with the midday pollen.

2K2SilverSi
04-04-2003, 02:19 PM
I have my mounts comming in and I have a quick question. How did you all support the engine while disconnecting the mounts? Also is there instructions that come with them or what?

BlasTech
04-04-2003, 02:37 PM
So here's my question about the inserts:

Some folks have been bothered by the vibration they notice at idle with these installed. If they come in packs of 6 (right?) would it work to jsut intall 4 of them, to lessen the effect slightly, so you still get less wheel hop, but no idle problems...

Just wondering....

2K2SilverSi
04-04-2003, 02:39 PM
I am sure you could only install the front insert or the rear insert to reduce wheel hop slightly but with all of them installed it should almost totally remove wheel hop, or atleast that is what I am hoping

DynaSpeed
04-04-2003, 02:53 PM
To clear some things up -
4 come to a package.
2 Mounts (lower front and lower rear... and you use 2 inserts to sandwich each mount). I suppose you could just do the rear or the front, and see if it minimizes the vibration, but you would compromise the stiffness.
The engine supports itself with the upper mounts while you work on the lowers. Since I did it myself, I used a jack to "swing" the motor around to access the mounts.

2K2SilverSi
04-05-2003, 06:19 PM
well thanks for the info. I thought there were going to be 3 sets for a total of 6. the front the rear and the drivers side mount. I figured that one could be stiffened up as well, but I guess that would just be over kill.

2K2SilverSi
04-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Well I got my ES motor mount inserts in and installed them on my car. Took me like 2-3 hours to do. I would recomend a ratcheting 17mm wrench as one of the bolts on the front mount is imposible to get with a ratchet. There are a total of 4 bolts you must remove on the front mount and 7 bolts on the rear. The rear was kind of hard for me to get lined up but the front one went back on without a problem. A way I found to make it easy to move the engine around is to place the stock jack between the oil pan and the front lower crossmember that is by the radiator and crank it up till the engine moves enough for you. The bolts are all in the 14mm or 17mm sizes just fyi. If anyone needs help with their install dont hesitate to pm me or im me at CmptchAV6 on aim.

These things work great. The car vibrates a little more at idle but it is nothing too bad. In first gear the car doesnt bounce as bad when getting on and off the gas like it did before, you press the gas petal and the car goes and you let off the gas petal and the car slows. second gear chirps happen alot crisper now and you cant hear the engine thrashing around in there any more. I would definatly recomend these to anyone that drives their ep hard.

Also btw my rear mount already had a tear in it so the stock ones are not very strong.

Tekdemon
04-09-2003, 06:11 PM
hmm...
someone should do a huge writeup with pictures of every damn bolt you have to remove and little lines and arrows...with clear step by step instructions... =P

Still I dunno if I'd get these now...I really don't want nutty ride quality. As cool as it would be to make the high 14s and all...

2K2SilverSi
04-10-2003, 09:52 PM
I can take pictures off all the bolts if you give me some time. It really isnt that many.3 that hold the mount to the engine, and one that goes through the mount that bolts it to the car in the front. 3 that hold the mount to the engine, 3 that hold the mount to the car, and one that goes through the mount in the rear. I will try to take pics asap.