PDA

View Full Version : any word on actual after market shocks for the eps?

Feng
04-02-2003, 10:22 AM
does anyone know when anyone is coming out with actual shocks for our cars? instead of those inserts....

greenguy
04-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Tein has the Basic comming out this month, and they do have the Flex already out. You can also use the SS but some modification is required.

todaCspec
04-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Koni inserts are really not that hard to put on. It's the same for 01+ civic's and 02+ rsx. Some shops do it all the time that it has already mastered the proper technique. Besides Koni are bad ass!

Feng
04-02-2003, 07:19 PM
man konis are mad expensive and i'll look into the teins...thanks

Makross
04-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Tein Basic setup would be Nice :o

SHAKEnBAKE
04-03-2003, 12:53 AM
H&R got the cup kit for our car(or at least my shop sez so) And it's basically H&R Springs with Koni shocks.
How bout that?:)

TEKBRAIN
04-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by SHAKEnBAKE
H&R got the cup kit for our car(or at least my shop sez so) And it's basically H&R Springs with Koni shocks.
They seem to make a difference between Civic and Civic Si and the cup kit is for the Civic: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frameapplications.html (search)

Feng
04-03-2003, 05:49 PM
how much are they charging for labor for a job like installing inserts for the shocks?? anyone know?????

EP33
04-04-2003, 08:51 PM
I have heard ranges from $75 on up per shock (fronts). Search around and take them off your car to a shop if needed (if you can). It'll save you some money.

If all else fails Koni install (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9847)

SHAKEnBAKE
04-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN

They seem to make a difference between Civic and Civic Si and the cup kit is for the Civic: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frameapplications.html (search)
Hmm.. your right, they don't have it there, lemme confirm that with my shop, I went there last week and the guy offered me the cup kit. Maybe a modded one to fit our car?:confused: Dunno yet, but I'll keep you guys posted.

slamedrides
04-07-2003, 03:22 AM

doesn't the cup kit use the blistien shocks and struts?

silver ep
04-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Im looking forward to the Tein Basic, hopefully that will be a nice set up.

greenguy
04-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by silver ep
Im looking forward to the Tein Basic, hopefully that will be a nice set up.
I just recieved an e-mail from tein and they said the Basic WILL NOT be released for the ep. They also didnt say what will fit?:( so Im not sure whats up with them. I guess its time to call and find out.

SHAKEnBAKE
04-08-2003, 05:30 PM

Hmm.. your right, they don't have it there, lemme confirm that with my shop, I went there last week and the guy offered me the cup kit. Maybe a modded one to fit our car?:confused: Dunno yet, but I'll keep you guys posted.
Yep, H&R haven't made one yet for our car, but the good news is that they will, the status is "coming soon". And the kit that my shop offered me was designed for regular Civic(bloody bastards), and after hearing a lot of bad stories, I'd rather wait.:)

minimay7
04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Any non-coil over shocks?

FACTION95Si
04-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Any shocks out yet for the EP?

Would they be shocks or struts?

CleanBlackSi02
04-14-2003, 11:37 AM
It's getting a bit rediculous...and my ride is getting a bit shitty. Where are the suspension companies!!??

FACTION95Si
04-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Has anyone heard anything yet? The stock struts are too soft.

minimay7
04-28-2003, 11:54 AM
I am not a big coilover fan...

And I don't want to modify shocks to fit the car. I rather wait until some decent EP exclusive shocks are available.

SHAKEnBAKE
04-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Wtf??? Still no words on shock for EP? What the hell? I gotta lower my car, but I don't wanna ride on stock shocks for long. Contacted H&R but can't get clear answer.
Why?:'(

02SilverSiHB
04-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Wtf??? Still no words on shock for EP? What the hell? I gotta lower my car, but I don't wanna ride on stock shocks for long. Contacted H&R but can't get clear answer.
Why?:'(
I'm about to actually buy the koni's. I'm tired of waiting. I'll just have a shop do the work.

SHAKEnBAKE
04-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

I'm about to actually buy the koni's. I'm tired of waiting. I'll just have a shop do the work.
If this keeps going for another month, I'm getting the konis too, I'll be broke after that though

02SilverSiHB
04-28-2003, 06:51 PM

If this keeps going for another month, I'm getting the konis too, I'll be broke after that though
yeah, no kidding. They cost like almost 600 bucks...before shipping. Then you gotta beaf out more $$$ for install. In a way, maybe I should just save my money and get some tein full coilovers, progress full coilovers, or eibach full coilovers. Because I'm sure I would mind have an adjustable ride height

Suk02Si
04-29-2003, 02:00 AM
does tein offer a basic kit for the rsx? of so we could use it with the rsx tie rod ends($70) and that's it.

SHAKEnBAKE
04-29-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
does tein offer a basic kit for the rsx? of so we could use it with the rsx tie rod ends($70) and that's it.
Hmm, I've never heard this before. Please tell me more about it, so we basically replace our tie rod ends(what is a tie rod end) and put on the basic kit? Sound easier than cutting the stockies for koni.:)

Suk02Si
04-29-2003, 02:26 AM
Any type of strut made for the RSX will fit the ep as long as we swap out our tie rod ends for the RSX ends. Its about $70 for the ends from Acura and we can use existing coilover setups available. Hamlet is using the JIC setup for the RSX on his car right now.

FACTION95Si
04-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Hmm, I've never heard this before. Please tell me more about it, so we basically replace our tie rod ends(what is a tie rod end) and put on the basic kit? Sound easier than cutting the stockies for koni.:)

Yea but is it cheaper after everything is all said and done? Does the RSX have struts out? How hard it is to replace the tie rod ends?

Suk02Si
04-30-2003, 01:52 AM
A ton of companies have struts for the RSX but not EP's.:(

The Tie rod end swap isn't hard but you will definately need an alignment afterwards because that is was affects the Toe.

2k3vbpEP
04-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Actually I found out Spoon has their fixed dampers for the EP3 out. They are 950 at most of the places I have gone to and they should work well with up to about a 1.75" drop and farily stiff springs. They are designed to work with their springs which are about a 1.75" drop on our cars (20mm on CTR which is already 20mm lower than us) and their springs from what I hear are around 400f/500r so they should work well with coilovers like skunk2 and GC

SHAKEnBAKE
04-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info, but with that price, it's still a no go for me. WTF are the guys at other companies doing jacking off at there cubicle? Tokico? Koni? KYB?

FACTION95Si
04-30-2003, 03:45 PM
Yea it seems that all they have to do is redesign the strut so it works with the EP tie rod.

EP33
05-01-2003, 06:08 AM
I thought about getting the $poon damper$ too. Then, who know$ how long it would take to get them to my hou$e :rolleyes:

2k3vbpEP
05-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Plus also for a bit more you can always get the tein type flex kit which is what I am thinking of doing now

Wht-Si
05-02-2003, 03:22 PM
KYB adjustable shocks would be nice for our EP. Does anyone had KYB shocks on your older civic and how do you like the ride with KYB vs. stock.

Is it common to cut your bump stop when you installing your shocks. I have progress installed by local shop but they didn't cut any bump stop. Is it bad or it's OK.

CleanBlackSi02
05-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Wht-Si
KYB adjustable shocks would be nice for our EP. Does anyone had KYB shocks on your older civic and how do you like the ride with KYB vs. stock.

Is it common to cut your bump stop when you installing your shocks. I have progress installed by local shop but they didn't cut any bump stop. Is it bad or it's OK.
They should have cut them. I dunno if it's bad but the springs companies want you to do it for a reason.

Can you please shorten your signature.

02SilverSiHB
05-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

Can you please shorten your signature.
it seems like no one listen to that at all here. I've asked Failuretostart several times...I wish we had some control over that...just edit their profile for them :D

Tenacious G
05-06-2003, 02:05 PM
I e-mailed KYB to ask if they were developing an EP-specific strut. the short response was they will have something in late summer/early fall.

no help there.

FACTION95Si
05-07-2003, 09:22 AM
I just got off the phone with someone from Tokico USA. He said that struts probably won't be out for the EP until July or August. He told me to give them a call back in June to see where they were at with development. They are waiting to hear from Tokico Japan. The plan is to come out with the HP (non adjustable) strut first and then something like the Illumina adjustable strut. Struts for the EP will probably cost about 15% more than previous Tokico shocks for the civic. Apparently this is because of the steering arm that

IceD out N CALI
05-07-2003, 09:24 AM
so it looks like late summer, perhaps fall sometime before we get any ep specific shocks. ahh well guess we'll have to wait

BlasTech
05-07-2003, 10:45 AM
This may be a dated idea, but there is such a thing as re-building and re-valving shocks to change thier rates...road-racers do it all the time, and its not really expensive ($20-100 each)

Maybe even our stockies could be re-built/revavled to handle lowering springs or just have slightly higher rates....

input?

Tenacious G
05-07-2003, 01:04 PM
i've never heard of this ... do tell

BlasTech
05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
well its only if they have a schrader valve or needle hole on the damper to refill it with. Thats all I know right now. Check out this article: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/shockstech.html