PDA

View Full Version : dealership won't install aftermarket parts?

foilpan
04-02-2003, 08:27 PM
while i was at the dealership today (skipping work while they changed my oil), the guy i spoke with said they won't install aftermarket parts on any of the cars brought into their shop. i asked him for an estimate for a spring install. i'm not sure if he's the service manager (i think he is), but he just said "nope, we don't do any of that."

what's up with that?

on a related note, do any of you know a decent shop north of boston that might be able to hook me up with the install for an okay price? my tools got stolen awhile ago and i have no room in my driveway to do the work anyway. :'(

paralysis
04-02-2003, 08:40 PM
From what I understand a dealership will not install after market parts because they can't and/or have a really hard time with the guarantee of the parts they install. If they put in a Honda part and it goes bad, they can just take it back off and send it back and get a new one. Ask anyone that tries to turn something in under warranty. Sometimes it is easy most of the time it is a pain. Car dealerships don't want/or need the added pain of after market parts.

LazyAzzAzian
04-02-2003, 08:57 PM
wussup where in boston are you from? i know some shops but im not sure about the prices...

chubbychu
04-02-2003, 10:00 PM
how about the motor mount inserts? your not really changing the part...just adding to it?

Mongoose
04-02-2003, 10:07 PM
T3 Motorsports Quoted me @550 To lower my ep with Tien springs and Camber kit labor incl.

They are on Huntington Ave in Boston

Also I heard PMModify on Rugg Road in Allston are Really Good too.

AkronSi
04-03-2003, 06:50 AM
That's wierd, my dealership carries all sorts of aftermarket parts. I guess they know a growing market when they see one. They even said they could order parts for me if they didn't have them.

I guess it depends on the dealer. It doesn't do you much good unless you want to drive to Ohio though. :)

foilpan
04-03-2003, 07:43 AM
yeah, i figured some dealerships wouldn't install aftermarket parts because they can't warranty them. but they should still be able to stand behind their work. oh well... i guess i bought mine from one of the "not cool" dealerships.

thanks for the leads on those shops. a place near me quoted $160 over the phone to install my progress springs, but i'm not sure if they're the lowest around here.

BlasTech
04-03-2003, 09:00 AM
The Honda place near my house has AEM cold air intak and full header, midpipe, and cat-back from DC sports (I think) prominently displayed on thier wall in the parts dept. I guess some dealerships decide its not worth the hassle if something goes wrong.

SouthHonda
04-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Its really up to the individual dealer. Some choose to handle the performance parts and some dont. We have a full stock of aftermarket items and offer installation too.
Too bad you are in Boston.
As far as warranty issues go, Honda parts are warrantied for 12 months 12,000 miles. So are most of the aftermarket parts we install. If we put a DC header on a new car and sell it we are going to cover is for 36/36 just like if it was a facotry Honda part.
Same goes for a set of springs, dash trim kit, or headlights.
But that is our choice as a dealer with a Performance Parts dept.

I do see that dealers who sell and install aftermarket parts generally have a more leinient (sp?) attitude toward a modified car though. We get a number of Hondas in here who have had bad experiences with other dealers because they have lowered the car or put in a stereo system, etc.
We know that lowering your car doesnt cause your valve cover gasket to leak or your power window switch to quit working.

We here at South Honda Are aftermarket friendly!!!:D

Scott

hamproof
04-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Hey... how far are you from Lawrenceville?? I might be making a trip to Atlanta in the next few months. How much do you charge for putting in springs and headers? Labor and parts for whatever you carry. TIA

SouthHonda
04-03-2003, 04:27 PM
email me @ southhonda@hotmail.com and Iwill give you quotes on the parts and labor.

Or just give me a call between 9 and 7 mon thru fri for a quote

770 968 1500

Scott