PDA

View Full Version : cracked windshield

ghettoprettie
04-02-2003, 09:06 PM
those damn 18 wheelers...one of them heading south on nj parkway (watch out) launched a nice rock at me, giving me a 6 inch crack all the way on the right.
(car is a week old)

u guys know if das stuff insured? if not...u know if its under warranty....or whas a good price dat i should be paying to fix all this...

ThickMick
04-02-2003, 09:14 PM
I paid $525 to get it replaced. I believe that's the going rate give or take, however one of these guys might have a better in.

If your insurance doesn't cover it (like mine didn't) you can call up Honda America 1 800 999 1009 and give them the ole "I think the dealer gave me the car with a small hole in the windshield and it expanded a large crack, can you reimburse me for a new one?" line. That worked for me and they sent me a check.

They're pretty nice over there so it worth a shot if insurance fails.

golferjn
04-02-2003, 09:32 PM
sorry to hear that man. hope you get it fixed quick

ep_nezay
04-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ghettoprettie
those damn 18 wheelers...one of them heading south on nj parkway (watch out) launched a nice rock at me, giving me a 6 inch crack all the way on the right.
(car is a week old)

u guys know if das stuff insured? if not...u know if its under warranty....or whas a good price dat i should be paying to fix all this...

did u get the name of the company of the truck, phone # of the side of the truck or anything? their insurance covers that.
your insurance will cover that BUT, youll have to pay your deductible , thats the downfall of it. So, u are better off getting a new one youself.
IC someone paid 525!? w0w , thats alot and it shouldnt be that much. It should be around 300 at the most.

ThickMick
04-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Yeah $525 was expensive! WTF, but they have to import the windshield and they are not in high demand (low supply), hence high cost.

One other thing I forgot to mention, (very important) is when you call a shop make sure they order a windshield for the 2002-2003 Honda Civic SI. When you tell them you need a windshield for the 2002 Honda Civic Si, it comes up on most systems as just a reg. 2002 Honda Civic (cost for that windshield IS $280-$300) and that won't fit the car. You have to insist that they look again in most cases to get the right one.

ghettoprettie
04-03-2003, 08:37 PM
damn insurance wont cover it since its bigger than six inches...so imma try Honda America (so thanks) i got a couple of estimates...and i got around 300 and change...

thats jerz prices so i ono..things are diff all around

ChapSchtick
04-03-2003, 09:11 PM
that really stinks. One of the many beauties of living here in Florida is that it is a state law that your insurance HAS to replace the windshield with ANY crack and NO deductible is paid! Woot Woot, has worked out great for me twice in the past!

but good luck none the less :D

cmk05
04-04-2003, 06:59 AM
Aren't trucks prohibited from 'parkways' - including the GSP?

Sucks you didn't get its plates.

ghettoprettie
04-04-2003, 10:27 PM
yea ur rite..im really skeptic about wher the actual hit was...it was prolly on 287...i spoke to the honda dealer...and they want to look at it and see if there are any indentations ((to see if a rock hit it or it was a manufacturer defect)) so im screwed..

BlackJDMep
04-05-2003, 01:08 AM
wow sorry to hear that man! That ish happend to me too! I must have gone to maybe 4 dealers and they all said no to me. Finally I went to the dealer that was closest to me. They fixed it! :D I was so lucky! all in all. Its a fucken expensive winshield.

Good luck on that :(

hamproof
04-05-2003, 09:03 AM
provided you carry comprehensive insurance. If they are not covering it, you probably do not carry comprehensive.

Here's how it works.

Most people carry a deductible of like $500 for comprehensive. That IMO is useless unless you live in a bad neighborhood where someone might vandalize your car. I've never had that happen before but I've a high chance of windshield repair. Having a $500 deductible will guarantee you that you have to pay the complete cost of the windshield repair/replacement coz' it is rarely you'll go over $500 for a mass produced vehicle.

I carry a $100 deductible. Sure, my premiums are higher but most auto glass shops will pay your deductible for you to get your business.

Here's a real scenario. I put a claim in for a windshield replacement at one of the chain store for my A4 before. The cost was $440 or so. Another fellow Audi driver, same car, didn't carry comprehensive. He went to the same chain store (different location, same city) and he paid $280 or so. We compared notes and we got the exact same glass. How is it possible there's almost $200 difference in cost??

Well, when you go through insurance, the auto glass place will charge more and they'll recuperate the $100 deductible I didn't pay. Sure, it is not ethical to do so but it happens. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, the max coverage is around $500 or so on windshield replacement. So, if you are below that, the insurance company do not make such a big fuss.

I just got a damn stone chip on my car yesterday. I took it in to be repaired. My insurance will pay for repair w/o me having to pay deductible since it cost them less to repair than replace. I just got the car back. It is not good. The chip is in my line of sight. Though small (about the size of a rice grain), it distorts my vision. I might make them do a replacement. I'll drive around for a few days and see if I can live with it. The short drive home, it was annoying. I know it is there and I see it every time. Just like the Mole guy in Austin powers. It is just staring straight at you every time.

blueiedgod
04-05-2003, 10:23 AM
in most cases if you have comprehensive you can also opt in to get full glass coverage for a smaller deductible like $50 or $0. I have comprehensive ($500 deductible) and full glass with $0 deductible. saved me a couple of bucks a few times