PDA

View Full Version : K&N Typhoon Installed!!!!

David K.
08-02-2002, 12:10 PM
Well, I just got my car back from the body shop today after two weeks and $6000.00 in repairs (don't ask). I went straight home and installed my Typhoon; didn't even let the motor cool down. That was probably the easiest part I have ever installed on any car, ever. Took 35 minutes, tops. This intake makes the most amazing sound above 5K rpm!!!

I also decided to leave my air box feeder tube in place even though the instructions have you remove it; hopefully it will direct some cold air towards the filter.

I know it's not a true cold-air intake, but I recommend this part to anyone who is considering an intake. Plus I've read some of ya'll with the AEM are not so fond of it. To top it all off, the whole thing only cost me $141.00 with shipping!!

!@#$%
08-02-2002, 12:33 PM
i've got aem on my 7th gen civic. for that price I wouldnt think twice about getting the typhoon. intake is an intake regardless :rolleyes:

enjoy

BlackSi2002
08-02-2002, 08:55 PM
hey i just finished my install of the k&n also, i love it, sounds great, does yours make a sound when ever you turn off your car, mine does, almost like the filter closes up and no more air is being sucked up, its pretty loud, so you should hear it if its happening to yours also. i hope its normal, thanks, later.

David K.
08-02-2002, 10:00 PM
yeah, I get that noise. sort of a sucking sound, like it's being closed off. I've had conical K&N filters on other cars before and they always made that noise when I shut the car off. never gave me any probs.; I'm sure it's normal.

HondaMan
08-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I get that sound as well. It sounds cool! I love this intake. :)

My thread about it:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=760

HondaMan
08-03-2002, 01:10 AM
BTW, I think it gets some what cool air from the back of the engine below the filter...removing that stock air box opened up a lot of space for air to move in from below. Granted it's no "CAI" but I bet the performance difference is virtually unnoticeable.

Brenetics
08-03-2002, 02:01 PM
yup I get the "sucking" sound as well.

esmith13
08-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I just installed one in my '02 Si and I get the sucking sound too.

I like this better than the AEM, myself. I know someone who has a '02 Si also who put in the AEM. His dosen't sound as nica and he says when he drives my car it feels a little 'punchier' than his does.

I never thought to try leaving the tubing from the old airbox in. Did it actually help any? Have you driven with and without the tubing installed???

HondaMan
08-05-2002, 02:23 PM
My .02 says the stock intake tube is basically not worth keeping (no performance added).

David K.
08-05-2002, 08:30 PM
[i]

I never thought to try leaving the tubing from the old airbox in. Did it actually help any? Have you driven with and without the tubing installed??? [/B]

I have only driven with the tubing in place. I figure it doesn't add much, if anything, to performance. When I removed my stock airbox there were a few leaves in it; figure at least it's grabbing enough air to do that so why not?