PDA

View Full Version : test drove an RSX-S while getting my oil changed

jo3y
04-02-2003, 09:39 PM
I brought the EP in for an oil change (almost at 10,000 miles now) and decided to go look at the RSX-S everyone rants and raves about. Well i ended up talking the sales guy into letting me take one for a test drive. The guy was pretty cool and didn't say too much as I laid into the S hard. The only thing he really said is "i hope we dont see a cop" I did one run taking it to redline in first and second. The other runs I was shifting at about 6k. Did a couple autoX turns to check out handling. Anyway here are my impressions.

Powertrain: The engine and transmission seemed a bit more refined, espically the shifter, shifts were short and accurate. I was quite unimpressed with engine performance however, I was thinking I would be able to tell a dramatic difference with a k20a2. I know my EP would smoke this car off the line and untill about 3rd gear. Thats when the RSX shines. Also it was extremely quiet even at 8k!

Interior: material quality was the exact same as the EP. the design was nice but nothing special and after driving an EP for awhile the floor shifter felt out of place :angel: The instrument cluster was a different layout but the same guages as the EP. I am into after market audio and the RSX dash receiver looked like it would be very hard to upgrade, it had the hazard button built into it -? The seats were really nice, more support than the EP seats and they are covered in leather. The back seat looked very cramped and the EP has much more leg room.

Exterior: Cool, nothing too crazy or trendy, just nice sporty lines. Some of the S's on the lot lacked a wing, i dont know if they put them on later or what but the car looks stupid without one. Paint quality looked like it had a few extra coats of clear on it.

Suspension: Beautiful, willing, and loved the twisties. I even got on the gas hard during a couple turns and was surprised at how well it gripped. It felt like a nice improvement over the stock EP setup.

Final Thoughts: I like my modified Si better. If you are going to buy one or the other and stay STOCK go for the RSX-S. If you like to tinker and modify save the 4-5k and definetly go for the Si. The Si has much more personality and the way the windshield is sloped the Si feeles sportier inside while your driving it. My Si engine felt just as quick on the street with just a few mods. The RSX-S would be pretty insane however, if you started with that chassis as your tuning platform.

golferjn
04-02-2003, 09:44 PM
sounds good

Brenetics
04-03-2003, 02:29 AM
I drove one the other day, it was pretty money. Shfter was a bit more direct with it's shifts and of course it was a bit quicker. I love 2nd and 3rd gear...vrrrrroooom.....WAAAAAAHH

*sigh* you gotta love that sound.

hamproof
04-03-2003, 06:09 AM
I'm disappointed in you :( You can do all the mods to you car but you don't even change your own oil?? :confused:

Btw, which dealership did you go to?

I wish I know how to replace engine mount like you did. Install springs like you did. But I'm pretty sure I can upgrade my stereo though :D

ortedd
04-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by hamproof
I'm disappointed in you :( You can do all the mods to you car but you don't even change your own oil?? :confused:

Btw, which dealership did you go to?

I wish I know how to replace engine mount like you did. Install springs like you did. But I'm pretty sure I can upgrade my stereo though :D

In his defense, I would change my oil, but you would have to bring it to get recycled/disposed of, and where would it go? IN the car, don't like that idea. Plus i got 6 free oil changes when i bought the car so i have been using those.

hamproof
04-03-2003, 11:08 AM
In Metro Detroit, you can bring it to Murray's. I know they'll take use oil. It is advertised in their store and it's free for their customers. Not sure what they mean by free for their customers. I shop there but I didn't buy the oil from them though.

I guess you are worried about oil spilling in your car?? I got a pretty decent size one. It lays flat and can be transported flat. No chance of it spilling in the car.

Well, I was just giving a few Michigander a hard time. That's all.

Besides, I prefer using Mobil1 full synthetic in my car. The dealership will still charge $20 or so if I bring my own oil. So, I might as well do it myself. I did it for the first time in my life on the EP.

jo3y
04-03-2003, 02:30 PM
I do know how to change my oil but like its said above its messy and then you have to dispose of the used oil. My other reason for doing this is when i sell it i can prove with reciepts that my car was always serviced by honda and i changed the oil every 2800 miles. People are more likely to buy if you have all the receipts. I go to Jeffery Honda on 13 and gratiot