PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust audio shops?

chubbychu
04-02-2003, 10:49 PM
I was just wondering what everyone though about getting their headunit and amps/subs installed at a shop. I live in a little town where im not sure if people know how to work on the ep yet. But than again they are pros right? I dont really trust them, but i dont know how to do it at all....even a DIY wouldnt help. The cost isnt much, but im just nervous about getting my stuff done anywhere. WHADDA YALL SAY?

will aftermarket speakers be too big for the hole in the door?

Also, i was being a total idiot, i got those mounting brackets for the rear speakers but being the dummy that i am....screwed the bracket to the speaker first. The speaker was a little big and i wouldnt have been able to screw the bracket into the car...or so i thought....anywho to make a long story short....i totally mangled my rear right speaker. its a wonder it still works. but i guess i learned. "ALWAYS PUT THE BRACKET ON FIRST!

chet
04-02-2003, 11:19 PM
You need to find out from other people who have spent money there, whether or not they were satisfied and happy. I had work done at shop, took me three visits and they couldn't get it right. They are out of business now. I wonder why. Do a little research. Some places like Circuit City are even a possibility.

I will add that the majority of guys with knowledge here are DIY guys. They will go to great lengths to teach you how, "You too can become a DIY guy!!"

BlasTech
04-02-2003, 11:22 PM
crutchfield has good instructions with thier stuff, usually.

Research the web, especially this site and k-series.com, and you'll find real good info, even videos of how to do this stuff.

I'd only trust an audio shop if I worked there. :o

chubbychu
04-02-2003, 11:48 PM
ahh i see....but i dont even know where to begin when doing an amp...so im not even gonna try....im not trying to sound stubborn ect...but i dont have time, tools and will....but i do have cash...so yea...anyways thanks!

Pradamuimui
04-03-2003, 01:25 AM
Personally I don't trust ANY audio shops, and thats why I have learned to do everything on my own. There is so many thieves out there today, they are EVERYWHERE!! Including the thieves that work at the Audio shops. They know what they are doing, they know what you have, because they installed it. They probably know your home address, and they definately know if you have a security system or not. On top of the everyday thief that you have to deal with, it makes it more difficult to deal with knowing that you have one, or several people knowing EXACTLY what you have...and exactly how to get it out!!! I don't care how respectable the place is. No matter what place you go to you will always have a thief that either does work there at the present time, or one that has worked there. So the odds become stacked against you, and not in your favor. All I can say is be careful, get an alarm, and if you have the luxury of keeping your Si in the garage do so.

02whitesi
04-03-2003, 01:57 AM
well with the front speakers you need to cut out some of the metal and build a bracket to make them fit. The factory speakers are cheap ass clip in's. I did all of my work myself. Personally I don't think you can get anything you want done right unless you do it yourself anymore.

esmith13
04-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Buy your stuff from Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) and install it your self!!!

I got my dash broke in two older cars by stereo shops. If they never installed a stereo in a particular car before, they just try to figure it out on the fly!!!

DON'T BE THEIR TEST VICTIM!!!!!

Crutchfield does have awsome instructions, but they do not have any for the new Si.

HOWEVER

Click the link below to DL the HONDA INSTALL MANUAL for the OEM CD changer, which has complete dash and head unit removal instructions!!!!

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/02si/cdchanger.pdf

I NEVER put in a stereo myself before, and I just did mine in my Si. It's not that bad!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! ;)

Eric

oogy-boogy
04-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Definitely do it yourself if at all possible. I've seen way to many chop shop installs. The EP is actually one of the easiest installs I've ever done. Just as everyone else is stating, there are plenty of videos and DIY instructions available. PaXie has a ton of "Sticky's" available in this forum (Electronics).

I just did my whole install last Friday pm and part of Saturday am with all of PaXie disassembly vid's. Went like a breeze (thanks again!)......2 of my buds helped out for 2 hours which made it fly by even quicker. I put in my JVC headunit, ran two sets of patch cords & remote wire, Ran fused 4 awg power and ground, 1 Capacitor under the passenger seat, 2 distribution blocks, 2-way MB Quart components and crossovers in the doors, speaker wiring in thru the door jams, 1 Kicker L7 in the hatch and mounted a 4 channel Fosgate amp under my drivers seat. Removed both my seats, kick panels, center console, Radio/AC controls, door sills, door skins and back seat. No wires showing anywhere and not one problem thanks to all the guys on this site (Damn, I love this place :D ). Ask some friends that have some knowledge to help you put it in.

But, on the other hand: If you feel like paying someone that you don't know or trust to do it feel free. Just make sure you scope the place out and talk to some of their customers. I have a friend who ended up having all of his audio/video system stolen by the same installer that put it in. It's going thru the court process as we speak.......

Good luck with whatever you decide!

chubbychu
04-03-2003, 07:16 PM
well im gonna try to do the headunit in myself.....because i guess i can get some adapters ect.....

But for the amp....? i really dont know how and im pretty sure that honda doesnt provide instructions to install an amp... =O(

IceD out N CALI
04-04-2003, 11:38 PM
ask around, ask to see pics of previous installations etc. also if you're not totally comfortable you could have them run the amp wires for you(rcas, power, ground and remote turnon lead) and u could install the amp yourself. should be cheaper plus the people in the shop wont know what you're installing they'll just know you're gonna run an amp(for security purposes)---just a suggestion:)

chubbychu
04-05-2003, 01:19 AM
THANKS! ill make sure i find out a little more about this place.

BTW will...adding a 25-50 watt per channel receiver AND putting that with a 50 watt per channel AMP be too much for the speakers? im really not sure how the whole amp, reciever wattage thing works...does it just get louder? or what? thanks!

BarracksSi
04-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Only power the speakers by one power source. You can't connect the head unit's speaker wires AND the outboard amplifier's speaker wires to the same speakers. You could, for example, run the front speakers off of a 2-channel outboard amp and the rears off the rear outputs of the head unit, or a 4-channel amp to run them all. Or, if the head's powerful enough, you could do fine without an outboard amp.

Personally, I can't stand having the louder speakers in the back of a car. I'm around live music all the time, and it's just plain unnatural to have stuff firing at the back of my head. SO, my efforts go into the front speakers first -- they get the upgrade & extra power before the rears. Anyways...

Tell us more about your plans, and we'll be glad to give you some pointers. Nobody here was born knowing how to install stereos -- we all were newbies once.

chubbychu
04-07-2003, 06:14 PM
awww so sensitive to my newbie needs.....well i trying to work with pax about this...but i guess getting more info the bettter right? hehe

anywho...here are the specs of the receiver im getting
front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
built-in high- and low-pass crossovers (selectable 78 or 125 Hz)
clock
wireless remote
23 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels
CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 95 dB
FM sensitivity 8 dBf

i also have a 4 channel and 2 channel amp pushing 50w per channel. SOOOOOooo....i was just wondering the best way to set those up.

BarracksSi
04-07-2003, 08:55 PM
What speakers? Any sub(s)?

I take it you have two separate amps, one 4 channel x 50 watt, and another 2x50 watt amp?

Paxie will get you straightened up, that's for sure.

02civichatch
04-11-2003, 05:32 AM
I took my 92 hatch to best buy they were so damn stupid they broke all my back seat clips while running the amp wires, i went home went to vacume my car and saw what happened brought it back and the dudes were like how do we know u didnt just break them?? I was like ur shittin me right?? So he said prove it, so me being as smart as i am i got a lawyer "friend of the family" brought him down and he talked with the store manager and the store manager refunded me everything got everything take out and he payed for all repairs at honda! So it was the biggest waste of time best buy knows jack shit about cars dont go to them!!

BarracksSi
04-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Wow, that's rough...

If I end up taking my car to an audio shop, I won't leave until I've checked everything out, with them watching.

When I get my uniforms tailored or dry cleaned, I don't leave the premises until I'm positive that they're good. Now, I think I'd do the same with my car.