PDA

View Full Version : My ghetto plan =P

Tekdemon
04-03-2003, 04:36 PM
OK, here's my ghetto plan for my EP with the scratched doors due to that fucktard who keyed it:
1) Install Ebay SRI I ordered(it's at home right now, I'm at the dorm faaar away)-and add K&N filter to replace ghetto generic one it comes with
2) Install cheapass Header-possibly HP racing
3) Install some kind of mandrel bent midpipe...anybody have any places I can get this CHEAP?
4) Keep running 93 octane muhahaha
5) Possibly a mild resistor mod to up the timings?
6) Hasport Motor Mounts...I'm not too sure about these, the rough idle sounds pretty lame, and I don't want to toy with the idle screw if it's been sealed with wax to stop people from tinkering with it...what to do what to do?
7) Keep stock wheels and put on 205/55/15 Continental ContiExtreme Contacts...they're uber cheap =P and can actually handle in the snow
8) Tein Springs?
Price at end:$80(SRI+K&N)+$150(Header)+$180(midpipe? I dunno about this price)+$1(resistors are cheap)+$40(mounts)+$250(tires)=$701 + $200(tein springs)=$901

I think this $901 investment plus some practice launching should get me into the lower 15s at sea level...

Anybody have any comments? And does anybody know a CHEAP place to get mandrel bent midpipes? I know I can just go to the muffler shop but everybody whines about scraping and stuff.

fishboy
04-03-2003, 04:48 PM
the hasport mounts are gonna be like 500 bucks. i think you are thinking about those energy inserts. other than that you are on the right track. sounds good let us know how it goes.

Suk02Si
04-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Mandrel bends aren't cheap. If you want a nice midpipe w/resonator look into the MBRP pipe with goes for $200. If you want cheap, then get a $60 custom crush bent pipe from a local muffler shop.

sniperSI
04-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Where my parents live you have to pass thru this podunk part of town.

I went into one of the "Muffler Shop" there one day, asked them how much to bend me a pipe 2.25 blah blah for my ride. He goes 80 bucks, i say is that bends or mandrel. The dood is like, mandrel? Do you mean the bending machine, i'm like yup, he goes 'ya'.

But still never went back and got it cause i'm broke ass. So go try one of those mom and pop owned looking garages, sometimes they do great work for cheap because they really arent that different from the shops makin bank off the trend.

DynaSpeed
04-03-2003, 06:14 PM
I believe mandrel bending is not just the "bending machine". Those are crush benders. Mandrel is a little more involved... and to put it into perspective - nobody that I have found within a 100 miles will do a one-off mandrel bend for me.

LordKoo
04-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Suk02Si,
Is it a direct bolt on for the MBRP midpipe against the stock rear muffler section?

Thanks!

Mugen Power
04-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Yup, it took a while for me to find a shop to do mandrel bends for my Accord, and it'll run you some good money...

Tekdemon
04-04-2003, 12:54 AM
whoops I did mean energy inserts =P

How much are custom mandrel bent pipes then? I guess $1K total is ok =P

Suk02Si
04-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Suk02Si,
Is it a direct bolt on for the MBRP midpipe against the stock rear muffler section?

Thanks!

I had to cut the end off and weld a spacer in place so I could reuse the stock donut gasket. Without it there will be some leakage;)

Tekdemon
04-07-2003, 04:31 AM
suk, I thought that the MBRP midpipe was supposed to be a direct bolt on!? Do I really have to do all this welding and stuff?

Aww man this is giving me a headache =P

Tekdemon
04-07-2003, 04:53 AM
suk, I thought that the MBRP midpipe was supposed to be a direct bolt on!? Do I really have to do all this welding and stuff?

Aww man this is giving me a headache =P

SiR_d1
04-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Execellent Question!
I also would like to know if this midpipe would be a direct bolt on, does anyomne knoe for sure??

Suk02Si
04-07-2003, 05:37 PM
I think MBRP was one of the first to release a cat-back system for our cars. I just called them and asked if I could have the midpipe alone, not the rear section.

The midpipe was made to fit perfectly with their rear section, not the stock one. It is a direct bolt on, but it will leak. I cut the flared end off and welded a spacer in front of the flange so it could hold the stock donut gasket in place after it was torqued.

:)

SiMecoming
04-07-2003, 09:53 PM
whats the benfeit of mendrel vs crush?