PDA

View Full Version : Do tinted side markers still reflect well?

BarracksSi
04-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Well, there's the question above.. lol

I'd like to get clear sidemarkers and tint them, but I'd want to know if they still properly function as reflectors if they're tinted.

For that matter, I'd like to know about tinted original -- red & amber -- sidemarkers, too.

CivicSiR4U2NV
04-04-2003, 05:24 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p60e5a09292759e172a89bfb4ad79e105/fc64869f.gif

I'd really like to know this as I want to tint my sidemarkers and tail-lights like the VW Golf tail-lights. I love the way they look :p

esmith13
04-05-2003, 08:09 AM
They are still very visible at night (not 100%, I'd say about 85%), but will not reflect or light in the daytime. Of corse, that's tinting the stock ones. You need a few coats to cover the orange and red well. If you buy clear ones, you will only need one light coat and there is less ressistance to passive light with clear plastic and one thin layer of tint. However, you will probably have to go with all orange bulbs and no red ones since red light will be less passive through the tint (unless you invest in ultra brights).

... So, technically, they do their job just fine.

... However, I failed inspection in PA because I tinted mine. Apparently the law here says they have to reflect in the day as well, even though in the day I think you would see my whole car and not need reflectors to alert you of my presence...

... Go figure.....

Hope my ramblings help...

Eric

siver-SI
04-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Can you install clears with out having a problem with inspection? I just hate the stock ones and I am going to check IL rules on this now that you said that but if I can not get them tinted, then the clear ones sould be ok then?

GeNoZiDe
04-24-2003, 09:26 AM
I painted mine the same color as my car, dun like those lil ugly reflectors LOL but who s gonna give u problems about them?