PDA

View Full Version : Stock Stereo: speakers or power?

FACTION95Si
04-04-2003, 07:24 PM
I wanted to upgrade the stock stereo system in my EP. Is it the speakers that are crappy or is it the lack of power the head unit puts out? Would I be better off powering the stock speakers with and amp or replacing the stock speakers with better ones?

SiR Medic
04-04-2003, 07:44 PM
I found that there is a HUGE difference in just replacing the rear speakers with a decent set of 2-ways.

I guess it all depends on how far you wanna go and how much you wanna spend.

I'd start with the rears, than add a sub and amp, then start thinking about replacing the front component and headunit.

Of course I'm not the most crazy audiophile on this board, I never turn the stock radio past half.

raiyo
04-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

I'd start with the rears, than add a sub and amp, then start thinking about replacing the front component and headunit.

Adding an amp with a stock head? do anyone know how to wire that sucker? Wanna stay with the stock deck, but upgrade the others and dunno how to wire em. which wire to cut for what and so on.

esmith13
04-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Replace the head unit and put in a powered sub.

The stock speakers have two problems. They can't handle bass, and there is not enough power getting to them.

I put in a Sony CDX-MP70 (52w RMS/ 23w actual x4). The stock speakers sounded alot better.

I then turned on the head units low pass filter (take out the bass) and cranked up the volume!! The speakers sang a sweet song!!!!

Next I'm installing a powered sub so I can leave that low pass filter on and get the bass from the Sub.

Total cost for do it yourselfers: about $600.

Only downside to this setup is you would be able to make it loud enough to flip open the hatch, crank up the tunes and operate a block party out of it. :D

But it will definately go loud enough to make any one inside the car go deaf and bleed from the ears... ;)

Eric

oogy-boogy
04-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Speakers first - Headunit second. Find a set of aftermarket speakers with a higher sensitivity rating (over 90). Basically, the higher the number the more efficient they are and the louder they'll sound with less power. Usually JBL's and Infinity's have a high sensitivity rating and don't cost much for the lower end speakers. When you go shopping for a set be sure to tell the person to run them off of headunit power and not an external amp.

EPTree
04-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Go for a good headunit first. The stock speakers can handle more juice than you think. And you'll have the convenience of pre-amp outs when you wanna install an amp.