PDA

View Full Version : First Dyno Runs on the EP

Quicksilver
04-04-2003, 11:39 PM
I got done dynoing my car today. I went to a place with uses a Dyno Dynamics Dynomometer. According to them, it's the most advanced dyno out there. Supposedly much more efficient and accurate than a Dynojet. They really didn't like the Dyna Pack dyno where the wheels and tires are removed (this is the one Church Automotive/Hondata use). The downside, of course, is that most other people use Dynojet, so I can't really compare to others with 100% accuracy. The did tell me that by multiplying my results by a factor of 1.15, I could get the "Dynojet" numbers.

My mods were AEM CAI, DC Header, crush bent 2 1/4" midpipe, and Hondata intake gasket. I also have a 1 lb loss per wheel over stock and a 1 lb loss of the Wilwood rotors, but considering each pushes the rotating mass outward, the change should be negligible. All runs were done with 87 octane gas and I've got 9,300 miles on the car. I'll post the dyno sheet once I get my scanner up and working again, but here are the numbers and the conclusions we came to:

131.9 HP (151.9 Dynojet HP, 178.5 flywheel HP)
111.0 TQ (127.7 Dynojet TQ, 150.2 flywheel TQ)

All 5 runs were very consistant (within 1hp of each other). There were no signs of detination during any of the runs. There also was no "blip" at the end of the runs that bumps the peak horsepower on Dynojets. The horsepower numbers translate almost dead on to the equivalent Dynojet numbers that others with similar mods have posted. The horsepower was slightly higher than I expected, and the torque was slightly lower than I expected, but well within the norms.

The other interesting thing was that I didn't have the normal bumps in torque where others have seen (around 3000 rpm and again at 4800 rpm). My two bumps in torque came at 5000 rpm and again at 5900 rpm. I'll get the sheet posted in the next few days so you can see.

All in all I'm happy with the results. Stock WRXs were dynoing at 155-160whp, so I didn't feel too bad considering they're turbo'd. The funniest part was when one of the guys there said "Man, you can really hear that VTEC kick in can't you?" I tried to explain how our VTEC works, but I don't think he understood. I probably should have just shook my head and said "Yeah".

Kurtis

Quicksilver
04-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Here's the dyno sheet.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p4c58f248a070cc990b6ce5371250cf60/fc6386cd.jpg

I later noticed that the "Max 131.9 HP" number is the average of the five runs. The averages for the runs is shown as the thin black line on the sheet (if you can see it). The highest two runs were around 133.5 horsepower at their peaks. That would translate to roughly 153.5 hp on a DynoJet and about 180.6 hp at the flywheel (even better than I had thought previously).

Any comments?