PDA

View Full Version : how camber adjustments with how much of a drop

siver-SI
04-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Ok I have been reading through some posts and when I was out today I asked about droping my car and what I needed to do to the camber. Well they said if I droped my car I could not do camber adjustment becuase my tires would be rubbing against my fenders mosly in the rear. The thing is I would like to have it adjustable so that way when I take it to the track I can adjust it and then on the street get it back to normal. I just want to make sure I have everything set when I take it for a 4 wheel alinement when I do do this work.

I have not bought tires rims or any suspention parts so what I am wondering is what they are saying is true that if I drop I am just going to have to deal with worn out tires fast or is there a way to get in close back to stock in camber with out the tire rubs. I am thinking of doing about a 1" to 1 1/2" drop on the car and get 17" rims with 215/45-17 tires on them. I just want to make sure I get my setup right with everything before I buy twice.

Also is there any update on tools that I may need for the job? I see that it is recomended that I get a spring compressor and a tie rod puller and since I work for Snap-On tools that is no problem, but is there anything else I sould look at to get? I have heard the problem with axel coming out is there a tool for that or just a good way to make it stay in?

Thanks for any tips and help I just do not want to buy twice because I did not ask.

Thanks

02SilverSiHB
04-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Ok I have been reading through some posts and when I was out today I asked about droping my car and what I needed to do to the camber. Well they said if I droped my car I could not do camber adjustment becuase my tires would be rubbing against my fenders mosly in the rear. The thing is I would like to have it adjustable so that way when I take it to the track I can adjust it and then on the street get it back to normal. I just want to make sure I have everything set when I take it for a 4 wheel alinement when I do do this work.

I have not bought tires rims or any suspention parts so what I am wondering is what they are saying is true that if I drop I am just going to have to deal with worn out tires fast or is there a way to get in close back to stock in camber with out the tire rubs. I am thinking of doing about a 1" to 1 1/2" drop on the car and get 17" rims with 215/45-17 tires on them. I just want to make sure I get my setup right with everything before I buy twice.

Also is there any update on tools that I may need for the job? I see that it is recomended that I get a spring compressor and a tie rod puller and since I work for Snap-On tools that is no problem, but is there anything else I sould look at to get? I have heard the problem with axel coming out is there a tool for that or just a good way to make it stay in?

Thanks for any tips and help I just do not want to buy twice because I did not ask.

Thanks
I'd get ingalls camber kit for you ride, since you may go over 1 1/2 drop.
As for the axle, you can just use just about anything to keep the axle still while taking out the bolts. Anything, tie it down, use another stand to keep it up, etc.

As for tools, make sure you have metric size tools up to about 22mm.

siver-SI
04-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks good to know about the 22mm socket. If I had a set of sockets from 8-19mm and just got the 22mm sould I be set. I all ready have up to 19mm. I have done a tear down on the old Subaru cars in the past in the front end but they had a locking features so the axle would not come out unless you undid the clip.

I was thinking of getting the camber kit just for the racing I might do, but what I am wondering now is the clearence of the tires to the fenders if I drop the car.

02SilverSiHB
04-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Thanks good to know about the 22mm socket. If I had a set of sockets from 8-19mm and just got the 22mm sould I be set. I all ready have up to 19mm. I have done a tear down on the old Subaru cars in the past in the front end but they had a locking features so the axle would not come out unless you undid the clip.

I was thinking of getting the camber kit just for the racing I might do, but what I am wondering now is the clearence of the tires to the fenders if I drop the car.
yeah, if I remember correctly you should be fine with the 8-19mm and then get a 22mm.
As for the drop and camber issues, I'm not to sure. It seems like people have had no issues with their car with 17's and 215 width tires...although they may have not corrected the camber, I'm not sure.

I'm still saving up for some new rims myself. I'll know then when I get coilovers with the combo :)