PDA

View Full Version : went to tweeter what is up with the prices?

siver-SI
04-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Ok went to tweeter and what is up with their price $300 for just a 6 1/2 and a tweeter for their cheaper sets. He started off trying to sell me a set that was over $1200. I want a half way good set of speekers in my car but they seem nuts.

Speck
04-05-2003, 09:05 PM
I originally got my install done at Tweeters. Said alot of good things about them to all my friends.... til I took the dash apart to put in a new dashkit. The installer just twisted the wires together for the speaker connections to the headunit! I mean, come on, that is is SERIOUSLY sloppy work.

On their inventory and salespeople: There is NOTHING more irritating to me than a salesperson who puts down products that they do not sell. I have a set of Memphis 6.5 Power Reference in the back (if you havent heard them, they are impressive) and all I got is crap from these guys about buying them.

I like to shop at pawn shops, cause I know most of the owners in this area, and I was able to pick up a pair of JL Audio 12W3s in a custom sealed box, with plexi front (or back, you can see the baskets). The person who owned it took the time to build this thing. It is painted with textured off-white paint inside. The screws holding the subs in are capped, so you see rubber, not screws ends. He cut out the JL logo in yellow plexi and layed it out over the reg plexi and there is a HUGH industrial neon light inside. Now this is normallly not my thing, but... it was $90 (pays to know the owners of a good pawn shop). I took it to Tweeter (I still liked em) to see about getting it fibered into the back of the hatch, I prefer a look that is totally integrated. Or to at least get it carpeted. The salesguy that I dealt with (and spent almost 2k with over the last 6 months), called the installers and a couple of salespeople out..... and LAUGHED!!! I was so pissed off, I shut the hatch, started the car and let it be known that I would be making sure that everyone I know understands what happened.

So, take it for what it's worth. and I am sorry this was so long, needed to rant a bit.

-=speck=-

BarracksSi
04-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Interesting story. I always got this weird vibe whenever I walked into a Tweeter store -- snooty, our-stuff-is-the-only-good-stuff-around, etc. Their prices for installing "brought in" gear are awfully high, too.

I'm about to abandon the 'glass enclosure idea and decide an installation myself, laying a truck wedge on the floor in back.

Why is it SO difficult to find trustworthy, reasonably priced, and skilled shops that aren't stuck on themselves?

siver-SI
04-06-2003, 12:54 PM
I know what you meen I think I am just going to go with Cruchfield and do the install myself. I get the adapeters for the door for free from them but everywere else out by my is $20-$30 just for the two front speekers. I think with their help and good customer service that I have heard I will go with them. Unlike e-bay I have a free return policy and I know I am getting good stuff and not maybe a rip-off on e-bay.

IceD out N CALI
04-06-2003, 03:00 PM
" I always got this weird vibe whenever I walked into a Tweeter store -- snooty, our-stuff-is-the-only-good-stuff-around, etc. Their prices for installing "brought in" gear are awfully high, too"

crazy i had that same experience with them too:confused:

blueiedgod
04-07-2003, 03:33 PM
I have to say Crutchfield is the way to go. I just installed an Xplod Css unit in the dash and 10 disk MP3 changer in the trunk in my girlfriend's Focus. Everythign came as described, with directions (not as detailed as i would have liked) but good enough that I was able to do a head unit swap in 10 minutes. The 10 minutes included the time to connect (twisted and heat shrink sealed) wires from the Xplod adapter to Crutchfield provided adapter, that plugs into factory harness. It took me another 30 minutes to install the changer in the trunk and run the wires under the plastic trim. I am very impressed with Crutchfield and my-self, not bad for a first time installation job. I don't think I would ever trust an installer after I saw what they did to install alarm in my CR-V.
If you are interested I have a referral code from Crutchfield that will take $20 off your order. e-mail or PM me if interested.

napapacoda
04-07-2003, 10:20 PM
For not being a car audio shop, they sell better stuff than what a circuit city or best buy will offer. Their products aren't cheap, but good stuff is never cheap. I would recommend buying but definitely not getting your stuff installed from them. If I had to buy a brand from a normal store, it would be boston acoustics hands down. They also have alpine head units, which I noticed crutchfield now carries as well (good move). The bargain on a headunit (my opinion) is the $199 alpine headunit with 3 sets of 4 volt preamp outputs at crutchfield. I bet its cheaper on ebay, but this way you get a warranty and don't have to worry about the seller being a deadbeat.

BlackNRedSi
04-22-2003, 06:48 AM
Dont go to tweeter for ANYTHING, they are a bunch of JACKACES...and they will do nothing but rip you off right infront of your face!

I would rather have my shyte put in @ circuitcity, than F'n tweeter!

My suggestion is for you to go to a local install shop for that kinda stuff...they will be honest with you, they dont have quotas....and to be honest they dont care if you dont like the high proced stuff, or if you like the lower end...

tweeter will do anything to pressure you to buy the higher priced stuff....

thats IMO!

Eric