PDA

View Full Version : air fuel gauge

ephatchback
04-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Alright, I just installed an air fuel gauge in my si. The first time I wired it up, I tapped into the wrong o2 censor wire and it didnt work. I checked all 4 wires in both censors, the one in the header and the one in the cat, and the one in the cat is the only one that will make my guage read anything. Out of the four it's the gray wire. Well the gauge is reading about as lean as it possibly can w/o completely turning off. At WOT the led's go towards the middle of the gauge(not even close to rich, where it should be) so I know the gauge is getting a signal. The o2 censor is the only thing I'm not sure about, I got everything else wired up just fine. Can someone who's done this install tell me if I tapped into the right o2 wire. If it is the right wire, would wiring it up the wrong way the first time cause the guage to malfunction? If the gauge is correct what might cause my si to run this fucking lean?:'(

TEKBRAIN
04-07-2003, 05:49 PM
You are a pioneer

TEKBRAIN
04-16-2003, 10:01 AM
By the way, I'm supposed to receive my A/F, oil pressure and oil temp. gauges soon. Maybe I will be able to help you if I install them myself.

02SiHB
04-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Aside from your story if it was hooked up right or not..

a/f ratio gauges on hondas are so inaccurate, they are virtually usless.

myeverlovinsir
04-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by 02SiHB
Aside from your story if it was hooked up right or not..

a/f ratio gauges on hondas are so inaccurate, they are virtually usless.

Besides that, good luck trying to tune it. My hondata dealer should have access to tuning tools this summer. Knowing its lean or rich is only part of the puzzle, where and when in plot form is much more accurate. Good luck!;)

02SiHB
04-24-2003, 07:56 PM
thats why i asked in the electronic forum if anyone has hooked up an egt (exhaust gas temp gauge for teh newbs) on an ep3 yet.

02SilverSiHB
04-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

Besides that, good luck trying to tune it. My hondata dealer should have access to tuning tools this summer. Knowing its lean or rich is only part of the puzzle, where and when in plot form is much more accurate. Good luck!;)
yeah, I have to agree also. I had a J&S Ultra Safe Guard with an Air/Fuel Meter...supposedly one of the best a/f meters you can get. It worked great for a while, then just started doing the same thing ephatchback said.

I helped install one on my friends car and it does virtually nothing.
Like myeverlovinsir said, good luck tuning with it...knowing when and where is sooooo necessary for tuning. Maybe keep the a/f meter after you have had it tuned correctly, then go off the readings as a guide, but that's about it.

SouthHonda
04-29-2003, 08:59 PM
I have seen this before.

First off, the Autometer Air/Fuel gauges are known to be inaccurate in their readings. Autometer will tell you not to try to tune with them.
Anyone know what the signal wire voltage is for the o2 sensors on the si?? My guess is they are the same as the current 1.7 and other 01 up Honda o2 sensors. They use a 1 volt signal to the ECU. That means that the o2 will give out a 0.0 to 1.0 volt signal as its reading. 0.0 being all the way lean and 1.0 being all the way rich or vice versa.

The Autometer A/F gauges work off a 5 volt O2 signal. So that means if all it is "seeing" is a 0.0 to 1.0 signal, it is going to show you a lean condition almost constantly.

I talked to an Autometer rep last year at some point and they mentioned a 1.0 volt A/F guage was in the works but havent heard of anything since.

Now you want to know how to make yours work?? Get a universal o2 that works on a 5 volt signal and have it welded into your exhaust where you want to take your reading and wire it up.

Scott

TEKBRAIN
05-01-2003, 07:09 PM
I received two gauges today: oil pressure and air-fuel ratio. I'm still waiting for my oil temp gauge. I'll give you some feedbacks after the installation (at the end of the summer?;))

02SilverSiHB
05-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN
I received two gauges today: oil pressure and air-fuel ratio. I'm still waiting for my oil temp gauge. I'll give you some feedbacks after the installation (at the end of the summer?;))
have fun getting that oil pressure sending unit on :)

gotoevolution
05-09-2003, 05:16 AM
I've installed the air fuel gauge on a couple si's and found the same problem the first time I did my own gauge, let me know if you still need to know what wire it is for the air fuel.

DynaSpeed
05-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Gotoevolution -

I was about to install my gauge until I saw this thread, so how about you enlighten us (me) with what's going on here. I was just going to wire it to the front o2 sensor on the cat. Is this correct?

gotoevolution
05-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Ok, there's 2 sensors under the car, one that's closer to your headers < and one the is a little further back, let's say towards your exhaust >, on the one closer to your headers < is the sensor with the green wire, that sensor is the wrong one, go to the sensor with 4 wires, 1 black, 2 white and 1 gray, connect it to the BLACK wire. Normally the green wire is used for the air fuel gauge on some other hondas but for some reason it doest work, I connected my gauge originally like any other car and it would always give me a real rich reading and never change so I knew it was wrong, but anyways, its the BLACK wire on the sensor that is further back > if you have any other questions on wiring anything or doing anything to the Si, let me know

TEKBRAIN
05-12-2003, 05:20 PM
@gotoevolution: Thanks for the information.

siver-SI
05-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Ok this is an idea that I had and thought I would be able to do but I can not find the R& D time for it so I was wondering if anyone has thought of this or tryed it. I wanted to add three gauges to my car oil preasure, gauge for the supercharger that is going on, and a gauge for the air fuel. I want to add it right under the radio on that pocket that is there. First I am wondering is there any gauges small enough to fit into there and second does anyone know what is the best way to R&D that in there?

TEKBRAIN
05-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by SouthHonda
The Autometer A/F gauges work off a 5 volt O2 signal. So that means if all it is "seeing" is a 0.0 to 1.0 signal, it is going to show you a lean condition almost constantly.

On the installation of my Auto Meter A/F, it says: "The A/F Ratio Meter is a voltmeter with a range of 0 to 1 Volt."
Lean Range: 4 red LED's (.050 to .249V)
Stoichiometric Range: 10 yellow LED's (.250 to .749V)
Rich Range: 6 green LED's (.750 to 1.000V)

@siver-SI: I want to do have them at the same place.

c0mf0rt
06-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Which Autometer A/F do you have??? I was looking at the Ultra-Lite series...

TEKBRAIN
06-03-2003, 04:01 AM
Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite #4375

ssvr6
06-03-2003, 05:35 AM
I'm getting the Autometer UL Boost and A/F gauge. I also plan on getting a laptop to read the Cybernation "black magic". I'm fairly sure it monitors A/F.

Steve