PDA

View Full Version : Tinted windshield

EPHatchgirl
04-06-2003, 09:30 PM
I had some people ask me about how the windshield turned out, since our cars have dots around the edges.... here are some pics of the rim around the windshield and the dots above the rear view mirror (for those who are concerned/interested).

EPHatchgirl
04-06-2003, 09:31 PM
I haven't noticed any discoloration/white spots... hope these pics help.

EPHatchgirl
04-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Sorry about the dirrrrrty windows... here are a couple more...:o

EPHatchgirl
04-06-2003, 09:34 PM
and finally.... if anyone else is still curious, or needs a different kind of pic.... lemme know, I'll help however I can.

IceD out N CALI
04-06-2003, 11:39 PM
good pics. I was definitely curious how those dots would turnout against the tinted glass. I know cops look at the dots sometimes to determine if the front windshield is tinted

Surprise
04-06-2003, 11:47 PM
What is the purpose of the ceramic dots around the edge? I know that they work well for reducing glare/sun above the mirror, but I doubt there is a problem with that around the edges.

EPHatchgirl
04-08-2003, 10:40 PM
I am not sure myself... except that now they are covered in tint:D . Anyone else know why the dots are on the edges?

Suk02Si
04-10-2003, 03:17 AM
that camera looks huge:D

BSEVEER
04-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Aren't you just asking for trouble tinting your windshield? Don't get me wrong I think it looks great but it just seems like a cop magnet to me. :D

EPHatchgirl
04-10-2003, 04:50 PM
I guess we'll find out. I only had it done 50%, and since the rest is tinted, a cop *knocking on wood* wouldn't notice the windshield (especially since it's lighter). The rest is legal, so if he put some meter thingy to my window, it wouldn't register a problem. To notice the dots, he would have to be ON my car, and I would do whatever necessary to keep some cop from humping my hood.:D :D If you take a look on the site (and on the streets), you'll see almost limo black tint on lots of these rides.... which makes mine look untinted.:) I'll let you know when I get a ticket...:angel:

**EDIT: BTW- thanks, glad you like how it looks!

chakra71
04-19-2003, 09:49 AM
The guy that tinted my windows said that the dots are what's called a matrix. He said that car companies started adding that when they went to the uni-body style to increase the strength of the windows, to help prevent cracking when the chasis flexes. maybe he's full of it, but he does seem to know quite a bit about cars and glass. he's been tinting for over 30 years.

EPHatchgirl
04-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Makes sense to me... thanks Chakra71!:)

natesi
04-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Tinting the front windshield is legal in my state. It has to be pretty light, but it's a nice affect. I really like it. Plus it keeps a LOT of heat off the dash in the summer and helps the air conditioner not work so hard.

IceD out N CALI
04-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by natesi
Tinting the front windshield is legal in my state. It has to be pretty light, but it's a nice affect. I really like it. Plus it keeps a LOT of heat off the dash in the summer and helps the air conditioner not work so hard.

do u have the windshield tinted on your ep too?

natesi
04-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Yes; 20% on the front, 30% on all the other windows. Having the front tinted helps keep some light out of the interior too, which actually makes the entire tint job seem significantly darker than it actually is... especially with a black interior. In most lighting situations it looks illegal, but it's actually completely legal. I'm suprised I haven't gotten pulled over yet.

I figured tint will also help keep the interior fabrics from fading. Ever see some older cars with faded seats due to the sun? Most tint cuts practically all UV out.

EDIT: Sorry; it's 50% in the front and 30% on all sides.

bao_pay
05-11-2003, 04:41 PM
would you be able to get a view of the car from a distance now just to check the way the cars looks have changed?:) I wanna get a tint but i didn't even know about spots on the trunk mirror... I wonder if they can go around them...

IceD out N CALI
05-19-2003, 11:43 PM
another question. do you have any problems seeing out of your windshield at night? especially in areas not lit to well?

StrangeShadow
05-27-2003, 12:04 AM
just wondering, cause I see a lot of cars in my area with their back windows all bubbled up..hehe.. doesn't this make it impossible to use your front defroster, unless you want bubbles?

natesi
05-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Definately no problems seeing at night. Seeing out the font windshield is probably easier at night when it's lightly tinted like mine because it helps reduce glare.

With the newer quality tints you can use your front and back defrosters just fine. I've done both pleanty of times.

Hope that helps.

EPHatchgirl
05-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say same here- no problems with the defrost, and night driving is much easier w/ less glare from headlights.... GO FOR IT!!:D

IceD out N CALI
05-27-2003, 02:54 PM
what type of tint do u guys suggest for front windshield. like what %?

natesi
05-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Mine is 50% on the front (legal in my state). I wouldn't want to go darker than that on the front. The rest is 30%. It actually makes the side tint look darker (and illegal) because the entire car has less light coming in.

Also, even 50% tint cuts down on dash heat SIGNIFICANTLY so the air conditioner doesn't have to work as hard and the car cools down faster. You really can't go wrong, except to make sure that the guy does it right. Otherwise you'll have to keep going back.

Also, you can't use conventional cleaners on the innside window tint.

dannysi
05-27-2003, 09:38 PM
I also have my front winshield tinted. My side windows and rear are 35 % which is the legal limit here in NY and my front is 20%. While sitting in the car at day time it just makes the day look coudy always. It helps out alot at night against the glare of oncoming traffic.

I got pulled over once at a check point b/c of my tint. The only thing the cop asked me was where I went to get my glass tinted, no ticket.

StrangeShadow
05-29-2003, 12:38 AM
With the newer quality tints you can use your front and back defrosters just fine. I've done both pleanty of times.
cool thanks, that makes things even better.

*Anyone know what is legal in cali?

swapp99
05-29-2003, 01:15 AM
From What I know...very little... Those dots are supposed to help in defrosting the windshields. the black dots retains heat. Maybe Im full of it too :confused: but that was what my grease monkey friends told me. :)

Zigen5
06-06-2003, 03:21 PM
I just got my windows tinted yesterday and I love it... I went limo tint all the way.. :) I'll post a pic soon..

glw
06-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

cool thanks, that makes things even better.

*Anyone know what is legal in cali? here goes... california is wacky and we have a lot of legislators :rolleyes: ...

any windows behind the driver can be painted black if you have mirrors on both sides of the car that allow the driver to see 200ft back. front side windows can only have this new UV clear tint stuff. windshield is much harder to explain - hope i get it correct... push drivers seat all the way back. measure out a point 5" in from bottom of the backrest. from that undepressed point measure a level horizontal line up 29" that bisects the front windshield... tint (nothing red, amber or opaque and nothing that reflects more than the windshield - like silver) may be placed in the space above the 29".

of course there are exceptions allowed if carrying a signed doctors note... check it out in the ca vehicle code under division 12 section 26708 (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vcpdftoc.htm) (page 53 of 93) on the dmv website.

as always, i can read pretty good but i'm not a lawyer - so i recommend one before going on just what i say.

SHAKEnBAKE
06-12-2003, 01:37 AM
Thanks alot for the info:)