PDA

View Full Version : Dyno On All Top Intake Companies

joshua
04-07-2003, 11:02 AM
AEM IS THE BEST INTAKE ON THE MARKET IN THE NEW IMPORT TUNER MAGAZINE THEY DYNOED INJEN, AEM, K&N, DC AND THE BEST HORSEPOWER GAIN WAS FROM THE AEM CAI IT GAVE THE RSX A 20.7 HORSEPOWER AND 5.7 POUNDS OF TOURQUE. Second best was the dc sports cai it gave 19.7 horsepower and 5.8 pounds of tourque k&n and injen low gains at like 5-9 horsepower and like 1-3 pounds of tourque so again aem is still on top. aem and dc did there homework

c0mf0rt
04-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Let's see a link there Cha-chi

joshua
04-07-2003, 11:42 AM
I DONT HAVE A LINK JUST BUY THE NEW IMPORT TUNER MAGAZINE OR MAYBE THERE WEBSITE I WILL TRY TO FIND IT BUT YOU SHOULD BUY THE MAG ITS GOOD

hamproof
04-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Test done on a 99 Si

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

I posted this on March 21, 2003

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10516&highlight=intake+shootout

c0mf0rt
04-07-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm kinda screwed man... I'm overseas right now in the desert.... if 'ya know what I mean..... no way to get ahold of it..... the differences between those intakes sounds a little toooo drastic though....

joshua
04-07-2003, 12:06 PM
THAT SUCKS BUT JUST TO LET YOU KNOW AEM CAI IS THE BEST INTAKE FOR OUR CAR AND THEN THE DC SPORTS CAI WHICH ALMOST DYNOED THE SAME
AEM CAI 20.7HP 5.7 TORQUE
DC SPORTS CAI 19.7HP 5.6 TORQUE
K&N TYPHOON, INJEN SRI, AEM SRI, 5-9HP 1-3 TOURQUE
LOOKS LIKE CAI IS THE WAY TO GO FOR THE MOST POWER BUT EVERY SYSTEM IS GOOD THEY ALL GIVE U NUMBERS

fishboy
04-07-2003, 12:10 PM
well good for me, i have an AEM CAI. i'd really like to see how good the injen race division would do though.

Jpax
04-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Joshua stop yelling , Thats great They did a shoot out on intakes. Did they say what Aem CAI it was, was it the version 2?

joshua
04-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah it is the regular aem cai sorry about the yelling hahahaha i dont even think they make a v2 for our car it would be a tight squeeze

ac22
04-07-2003, 01:59 PM
i saw the same #'s butthose numbers are for a rsx-s. are you sure there aren't for the s?

c0mf0rt
04-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Hey I had a problem with hydro locking my '95 civic... because of a cold air... what exactly do you guys do to make sure something like that doesn't happen?????

fishboy
04-07-2003, 04:48 PM
i'm not doing anything. i live in cali and it hardly ever pours. if i saw a deep puddle i'd just go around it.

tsa1
04-07-2003, 06:05 PM
i dont think an AEM CAI would give the EP a 20.7 hp gain. AEM's own website states a gain of like 5 hp an 3 TQ.

digitldlnkwnt
04-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by tsa1
i dont think an AEM CAI would give the EP a 20.7 hp gain. AEM's own website states a gain of like 5 hp an 3 TQ.
I agree..
20HP..thats a bit much.
Lets be real here folks...its not a turbo ..it's an intake. A pipe and a filter. You really can't get to crazy searching for the "best gains" because after a while even those best gains seem stock when you have the intake in for a couple months.
I for one would put the Injen Short ram from the RSX in my Si.
It fits the heat shield and i have less worry about hydrolocking the engine. I will give up 3-4 Hp to have peice of mind.
for 150-200 bucks you cant really get to fanatical about HP gains.
The way i see it...It is our god given duty and right to rip out the stoick intake and install our aftermarkets intakes.
I mean it's as natural as puberty;)

ArcticBlueRsx
04-07-2003, 11:13 PM
that magazine and that intake test..I dunno..clubrsx did a test w/ AEM CAI vs Injen SRI vs AEM SRI....Injen came up on top by 1 hp compared to the AEM CAI and the AEM SRI came in dead last due to its lack of a heatshield...I dont believe the magazine, rumor has it that DC or AEM (dont remember who) sponsors Import Tuner which could account for the higher numbers w/ their intakes...I myself have a Injen SRI w/ heatshield and its an excellent intake, the gains are VERY noticible..I say around the 15hp range and its been disputed on clubrsx over and over...the SRI (w/ heatshield) is just as good as the CAI however the SRI even with the heatshield will suffer in the summer making it not as efficient as the CAI...(there is one note..on they injen vs aem cai dyno..the cai had more consistent gains whereas the injen went all over..+ -)

ArcticBlueRsx
04-07-2003, 11:16 PM
http://performance.clubrsx.com/intaketest2.html
;)

Tekdemon
04-08-2003, 05:29 AM
you know all this talk of intake design has my brain cranking again....I just thought of something REALLY nutty hahahha

digitldlnkwnt
04-08-2003, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArcticBlueRsx
[B]that magazine and that intake test..I dunno..clubrsx did a test w/ AEM CAI vs Injen SRI vs AEM SRI....Injen came up on top by 1 hp compared to the AEM CAI and the AEM SRI came in dead last due to its lack of a heatshield...I dont believe the magazine, rumor has it that DC or AEM (dont remember who) sponsors Import Tuner which could account for the higher numbers w/ their intakes..

Your right and Its AEM but I think Honda Tuning or oner other mag also has that same relationship with Injen. I Dont care though. I like the look and design of the Injen product and besides....if the injen short ram is good enough for TODA's FIGHTEX RSX,...then is certainly good enough for me

4g63dsm
04-09-2003, 11:23 AM
i have the aem cai so no discredit to it, but he neglected to mention the fact that import tuner tested the injen sri not the cai, so it wasn't a fair comparison

ArcticBlueRsx
04-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
i have the aem cai so no discredit to it, but he neglected to mention the fact that import tuner tested the injen sri not the cai, so it wasn't a fair comparison
true...they should have used the CAI..so first off you can tell Import Tuner has something against Injen...however you could also argue that the CAI was not available until the beginning of March..so the test could have taken place before that..who knows...but all I know is Import Tuner's gonna have a lot of letters from disgruntled Injen owners....

digitldlnkwnt
04-09-2003, 04:23 PM
want true cold air...reroute you a/c ait into your throttle body..
Theres youre cold air

Tekdemon
04-09-2003, 06:26 PM
ok so I was thinking...

WHAT IF, I designed a new CAI type intake, but it had a unique sleeving system that went like:
Inner tube:Aluminum
hollow space
Outer tubing made of styrofoam or some sort of super insulating material
Ceramic/aluminum outside

And then the hollow space would act as a sleeve...obviously this seems really complex to get to work and fit right, but anyway, the hollow space could have a "chill tube" inserted into it...

This chilltube is basically a cylindrical hollow pipe that contains some sort of liquid or something that has a REALLY REALLY REALLY high specific heat(aka it needs a lot of heat to heat it up, and thus can absorb a lot of heat without heating up)...

And basically how this would work is that at the end is the filter head, but the filter head would be easily detachable(kinda like how the HKS filter seems like it can be easily removed), and basically the night or two nights before race day you put the "chill tube" into your freezer and freeze it down to like -20 degrees farenheit(assuming you have a really good freezer haha)...

Then on race day you pop off the filter, pop in the freeze tube, pop the filter back on, and BAM, cold(er) air intake goodness =P

obviously the gains wouldn't be super impressive or anything, but if you live in a warm area I'm sure it couldn't hurt...if only this wasn't so obscenely complex for a small gain =P

digitldlnkwnt
04-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Well...I like the idea of an insulating tube..whick might just work all on its own...i mean for someone like me who wants to "bolt on once the right way and go"...
Intake air becomes lowered in temp from velocity alone so just having a good insulating material (of course it has to be light weight) would should by itself in theory increase power.
But it cant cost more than $250-300 (going price for aem v2)

Marcivi
04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by digitldlnkwnt

The way i see it...It is our god given duty and right to rip out the stoick intake and install our aftermarkets intakes.
I mean it's as natural as puberty;)

First mod I did. Injen RD CAI.

-Jack