PDA

View Full Version : Another EP bites the dust.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Not mine thankfully.
This just happened 5 mins. ago in Newark.
I just got off the cell phone with my friend who has a silver 03' Si...
As soon as he hung up with me he hit a telephone pole and flipped his car 3 times...
He's not hurt very bad luckily...car is totalled though...
AIRBAGS DID NOT EVEN DEPLOY!
Says alot for the safety of our cars though...
Buckle up guys!

DAMN SNOW! :mad:

ULTRAMANIA
04-07-2003, 11:20 AM
dang man.. sorry to hear that... but good thing he's ok .. phew... is he a member of this board?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMANIA
dang man.. sorry to hear that... but good thing he's ok .. phew... is he a member of this board?

no, he doesnt mod his cars...hes an ex-honda mechanic...actually he's my friends husband...i only called him to let him know i found a part for his Odyssey he had me looking for...bad timing i guess...kinda feel bad it's partly my fault...didn't know he was on the road though... :(

thank god it was just a lease so he's got gap insurance...

Suk02Si
04-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Flipped three times? :eek:

I'm glad he's okay.

The curse of the EP strikes again.:(

DooD
04-07-2003, 06:43 PM
so sorry to hear...really glad he's ok though!

Tell him to follow the path like everyone else and get an S2000 :)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by DooD
so sorry to hear...really glad he's ok though!

Tell him to follow the path like everyone else and get an S2000 :)

Hmmm...somehow i doubt that, his wife is pregnant with their 5th child...they're trading in their 2000 Odyssey for something bigger.

siver-SI
04-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I know this might sound weird but since he is OK I guess I will ask can we see any pictures? I would like to see how the car held up. They do good in the test crash ratings, but they do not do a role them over and I would just like to see what it looked like when done.

I would have to say I would be talking to Honda though about the air bags. That is not good that they did not go off. I would like to hear why they did not.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-07-2003, 08:31 PM
If possible i'll take some pics.
But i dunno where they're towing it to.
This happened about an hour from home, so I dunno about pics.
But i'll try, I am curious as well.

natesi
04-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Man, I wish I could total my car....

Tekdemon
04-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Well there's not much point in the airbags going off if you're flipping your car sideways...they wouldn't do anything but knock your face in and that would be silly wouldn't it =P

the airbags probably didn't deploy for safety reasons...if the car's upside down at an angle the airbag might not drop down properly and you wouldn't really wanna suffocate would you...

I'm sure the airbags are fine. Friggin 5 star frontal seat crash ratings means serious safety. I feel safe in the car =) much safer than the Toyota Camry I used to occasionally drive...well I felt really safe in that too until I saw the SIDE crash ratings...It's 5 star otherwise and rates best pick at IIHS, but the government side ratings are like 3 star...

And it's kinda bad that he totaled the poor car on the cellphone...I was scared as hell driving in the snow on the cell phone so I slowed down to like 5 mph(I wasn't on a highway or anything, just on campus crawling at 5 mph in a lane that was separated from the opposite direction by a big center divide with trees and crap so basically there was no chance of me killing myself or really anybody else. Plus once again, 5 mph.

Did your friend have the stock tires on? Those piece of crap MXV4's are really pissing me off. They have NO FRIGGIN SNOW TRACTION AT ALL.

IceD out N CALI
04-07-2003, 10:49 PM
glad to hear he is ok. lately seems like a lot of ep owners are getting in accidents:(

golferjn
04-07-2003, 11:22 PM
sorry to hear that

crex2nr
04-08-2003, 02:14 AM
sorry to hear about your friend, im glad hes okay

02NJHondaep3
04-08-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm glad your friend is ok. I believe i'm not sure but the airbags only go off with a major decrease in speed. For example hitting something solid like a wall or tree. Telephone poles i think are collapseable.(excuse my spelling and theory). I remember watching a video on this in drivers ed. I'm not a big fan of airbags. I hear sometimes more bad than good. Burns,broken bones and the gases used to inflate them. I'm sure though they do save lives with wearing seatbelts. PS. i wanna see those pics too. As painful as it is to see a hurt si, Its very important to know how well your car holds up in these situations.

chunky
04-08-2003, 08:15 PM
glad he is okay. sad to see the ep go. oh, wait, did my resale value just go up? keep crashin' 'em boys, you're only helping me out. :D not that i'll ever sell mine unless i'm on the verge of poverty.

but as for why the airbags didn't deploy, the frontal impact sensors are on the corners of the car. I took off the bumper recently, and I observed them there. There is no sensor at the center of the car. Most collisions with another car will result in at least one or both of the two sensors on the front corners going off. While on the road, the only thing that you could hit that would only damage the center of the car would be like a motorcycle.

We have 2 stage airbags - meaning there are two different deployment speeds, based on how fast the front end crumples. I'm not sure how they calculate this, but they do somehow.

Also, rolling the car doesn't trip the airbags as mentioned, unless you have side curtain airbags which actually do help during side impact/rollovers. I bet the roof of the EP didn't cave in much, it's a light car to begin with, and the roof pillars are quite stout, esp the rear roof pillars.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by chunky
glad he is okay. sad to see the ep go. oh, wait, did my resale value just go up? keep crashin' 'em boys, you're only helping me out. :D not that i'll ever sell mine unless i'm on the verge of poverty.

While on the road, the only thing that you could hit that would only damage the center of the car would be like a motorcycle.

or a telephone pole like he hit (and knocked down).

chunky
04-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

or a telephone pole like he hit (and knocked down).

technically, that was off-road. . ..

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by chunky

technically, that was off-road. . ..

:rolleyes:

:)

chunky
04-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

:rolleyes:

:)

but damn, i just thought about it, and i've NEVER seen a telephone pole get knocked over.

I saw a full sized van hit one at 50mph, and it cracked the pole at the point of impact, but it still didn't topple. . . .

that takes some skill. . . .

hamlet9634
04-09-2003, 10:12 AM
i spun into a wall hard enough to break the A/C compressor and radiator and bend the hell out of the front bumper support, etc.. and my airbags did NOT deply.

And the impact was front right corner, so it should have tripped a sensor.

maybe since i was SPINNING at the time of the crash, the deceleration was more of a rotational inertia thing instead of a direct impact thing.. but still weird.

If my airbags HAD deployed, the car would have been a total loss for sure. I had 12K in damage without the airbags (can you believe the insurance co didn't total it?) and the one other car i had that did deploy airbags cost 7K JUST TO REPLACE THE SRS system.. crazy huh?

chunky
04-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by hamlet9634
i spun into a wall hard enough to break the A/C compressor and radiator and bend the hell out of the front bumper support, etc.. and my airbags did NOT deply.

And the impact was front right corner, so it should have tripped a sensor.

maybe since i was SPINNING at the time of the crash, the deceleration was more of a rotational inertia thing instead of a direct impact thing.. but still weird.

If my airbags HAD deployed, the car would have been a total loss for sure. I had 12K in damage without the airbags (can you believe the insurance co didn't total it?) and the one other car i had that did deploy airbags cost 7K JUST TO REPLACE THE SRS system.. crazy huh?

WOW. 12k in damage from that kinda damage seems steep. maybe it's just b/c body parts are hard to come by for the ep3?

they usually don't total a car until the repair estimate equals 70% or more of hte car's actual value.

hamlet9634
04-09-2003, 10:40 AM
12K in damage is steep, i agree. I did, however, break EVERY SINGLE right rear suspension component, including my gorgeous JIC coilover:'(

the replacement right rear quarter panel alone was over 1K after painting, etc.:eek:

and the insurance company says that the threshold for a total loss was 13.5. So if it's 70% of the total value.. does that mean a 2002 civic Si with 6K miles is valued at 19.300? That's stupid. I was pretty pissed at the company.. should have been totalled.
I bought the car for friggen 14, 900.

Tekdemon
04-09-2003, 10:42 AM
12K in damage is steep, i agree. I did, however, break EVERY SINGLE right rear suspension component, including my gorgeous JIC coilover:'(

the replacement right rear quarter panel alone was over 1K after painting, etc.:eek:

and the insurance company says that the threshold for a total loss was 13.5. So if it's 70% of the total value.. does that mean a 2002 civic Si with 6K miles is valued at 19.300? That's stupid. I was pretty pissed at the company.. should have been totalled.
Well they calculate their own costs based on the MSRP I think...

I suppose it would have been better to total the thing and get cash lol...and get a nicer car =P

chunky
04-09-2003, 10:48 AM

well my insurance co goes by the 70% rule. it's different for different companies, and even for different states with the same company. They look at how much it would cost to buy one locally in similar condition. since yours only had 6,000 miles on it, they look at new cost most likely.

and yes, the rear 1/4 panels are EXPENSIVE to replace on hatches b/c they are so large

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-11-2003, 08:59 PM
ya'al are not going to beleive this...

THE INSURANCE COMPANY DID NOT EVEN TOTAL HIS CAR!

yes, he rolled it 3 times and its NOT TOTALLED.

siver-SI
04-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Ok now we need pics bad. I want to see what this tank looks like after 3 flips and it is not a total. I have to guess that the engine was not touched at all for this to happen though.