PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a Avalanch

SiRedliner
04-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Well today started out pretty good. Picked up my Ex girl at school and took her for a ride in the Si (Only her second time in the EP) Went job hunting and got more than a few good prospects and all in all was feeling pretty good besides the cold weather. I was on my way through the middle of town here in Morganton, and was happily cruseing in the left lane. There was a Chevy Avalanch in the right lane with New york plates just ahead of me. The speed limit was 35 so I was doing 40 the Chevy suddenly swurves into the parking lot entrance infront of me. I Slam on the brakes and look to the right where a older Toyota truck blocked my way. To My left was a curb with a bush and Directly in front of me was a Large Chevy truck. I turned to the left HARD, the drivers side tires front and rear smacked the curb hard and the passenger side front bumper hit the rear wheel of the SUT. We both stoped in the parking lot, and as i got out of the Si a small 40 year old redhead jumped out of the pasenger side door and started running her mouth from the start. "What the Hell weren't you paying Fucking Attention?!!" I looked back over at the drivers side and a little bald man with a white beard jumped out cussing and red. He started looking around the Tank screaming "where'd that Fucker hit me?" Keep in mind I havn't said a word yet. I look at the woman who was trying to piss me off and yelled you guys swurved infront of me, the Man looked over and screamed "Don't talk to my wife like that" so I and all 6`4" and 210 pounds of me walked right up to him and said GET YOUR INSURANCE CARD NOW. I surveyed the damage, and saw the place I was hit. where the front fender and the bumper meet was dented in and the sidemarker on the bumper was cracked in 2. The Headlight was not broke but was sticking out where the metal around it had been bent down. Besides that there where the minor scratches one deep on the bumper and a small collection of scratches on the fender. The man gave me his card, and the police came but left without a report being written. Funnest part was how this man told the cop that he was "in the middle of the road signaled and swurved toward the parking lot to bust a U turn" only problem with that is the street we where on was a ONE WAY street and there are no U's. Then he looked at me and infront of the cop said you cut ME OFF, this is a Two way entrance I looked at him and said " I was headed straight I had to cut this way to keep you from taking the front end of my car completely off!" The cop left and the man left after I had his info. I got around the driverside of the Si I looked at the body and found no damage, but there on the tires where the big old bumps so now I have to buy 2 new tires too. I went straight home to be safe, and took pictures of the damage. Then I called the Local PD and bitched them out for not writing a report, so the same Cop came to my house and got my paperwork, so right now where just waiting for this idiot to get to NY so he can answer his phone and give the Police his INFO. Damn this sucks, not even 2 payments made on this car and already I been hit. I havn't have the suspension looked at yet it was riding fine and not pulling to ether side, but I hit that curve pretty hard so there's no telling if something bent or came loose.

golferjn
04-07-2003, 11:17 PM
sorry to hear that man. hope everything gets settled

SiRedliner
04-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Shit me too, I am thinking of going back to the Supra... wouldn't have even dented that tank.

IceD out N CALI
04-07-2003, 11:30 PM
dayum that sucks-sorry to hear that

chubbychu
04-07-2003, 11:38 PM
haha hit by an avalance....that was funny.....

but the actual thing sounds like a pain in the butt....crap dude, the driver and passenger of the other car sound like total dillholes...sorry man. good luck with everything

Suk02Si
04-08-2003, 02:26 AM
daaamn, another accident?!

The dumb redneck tried to blame it on you? That sucks, I hope everything turns out okay.:)

DooD
04-08-2003, 04:02 AM
i hate people that don't take the freaking responsibility and try passing things off! Damn red necks :mad:

Glad your ok, now make them pay with all the new goodies u're getting. :D

LordKoo
04-08-2003, 06:38 AM
dude,
it is the sucker's fault for doing lane change without checking. And please get hold on the police report, else they would turn around and bite you saying you are the one at fault.

Good luck!

SiRedliner
04-08-2003, 08:42 AM
well took the Si in for a look and came to 1600 dollars worth of damage. most of the cost is going to be in painting the front bumper. 1300 dollars seeing as i am not going to replace the headlight which was not broke just has a buffable scratch on the lens. Luckly the man call me today and we talked a bit. still thinks I was cutting him off turning cept I wasn't turning. Si won't be driven for a couple weeks though cause of the tires which if I want him to pay for I have to leave on the car. Sucks now cause a woman in the lawyer office across the street called the PD and said that I hit him, that he was in the left lane not the right. That's going to cause a fight, cause the skid marks from his truck are in the right lane, and the passenger in my car says he was in the right lane as well. I am going to scan the pics today, and post them , should have them up in a hour or so.

hamproof
04-08-2003, 08:59 AM
If the cops are being anal about it, you are probably at fault. In Michigan, it is almost always the guy who hit from behind at fault. It doesn't matter much what the guy in front was doing (stopping suddenly, swerving, icy conditions, being an ass). If you hit him from behind, it is almost your fault.

Now, if you hit him on the side, maybe you can make a case, he turn into your path. But seeing how you said you swerve to the left, hit a curb and at the same time hit the rear of him bumper, I think you are SOL.

HondaMan
04-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Good luck beating the bozo that hit you & making him pay since it sounds like he was at fault! Looking forward to seeing the photos.

SiRedliner
04-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Talked to the Cop just a little while ago, and he says he heard the man say he was "In the MIDDLE of the road, missed his turn and swurved over to make a U turn" Seeing as this was on a one way road and he admited to cutting infront of me, we are hoping this will go through. There is no court battle as of yet just bitchy Insurance companies. As for the pics I just got them scanned so here they are.

SiRedliner
04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Here are the scratches

golferjn
04-08-2003, 06:08 PM
that sucks. hope everything goes your way

02NJHondaep3
04-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Thank god you and your girl are alright. I respect the patience u have i would've taken The Club out and started beating on them. In NJ I think its auto fault of the person who hits the back of the car. I remember one time i was riding front passenger in my friends car and a lady turned into our lane and smashed us into a pole. I almost hit the lady cause the first thing she said to the cop after i recovered was "am i gonna get a ticket for this?" Her E class was fine but my friend's camry was almost cut in half.

SiRedliner
04-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Yeah Dilys was fine, she turned pretty pale. She wasn't nearly as scared as when I got home and called my mother over to the house... LOL it was in her Insurance. She started screaming and ranting I was yelling and heres this quite Chinese girl just standing there with her eyes wide open. I talked to her today and she didn't sound to at ease just in her voice.

NineOne
04-08-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this, I'm a relatively new driver, don't have my own car, and haven't been in an accident, but I know how angry and frustrated I would in your position. Hope everything works out for you.

Originally posted by 02nighthawksivi
In NJ I think its auto fault of the person who hits the back of the car. I remember one time i was riding front passenger in my friends car and a lady turned into our lane and smashed us into a pole. I almost hit the lady cause the first thing she said to the cop after i recovered was "am i gonna get a ticket for this?" Her E class was fine but my friend's camry was almost cut in half.

I live in Victoria BC (up in Canada), and here it's like that too, the other day I was driving on a one way street (4 lanes) in the center right lane with an old toyota van on my left. The lady in it all of a sudden swerved towards me (she was slightly ahead), and this was not a lane change, shed either let go of the wheel or was trying to kill me. I'd seen there was someone right behind me and nobody to my right, so I swerved away and avoided an accident. The thing is, later on I was told by many different people that I might as well have slammed on the brakes, because had I swerved away to the right, avoided the Toyota, and hit someone to my right, it would have been my fault. But had I slammed on the brakes and the person behind me hit my car, it would be their fault.

Gotta wonder who comes up with some of these laws...

SHAKEnBAKE
04-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Lemme say their Ad slogan:

"Chevy Avalanche, Like a Rock"

Ironically they really do handle like Fred Flintstone's foot-powered car.:D

SiR Medic
04-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Well this scares the hell outta me...

My dad want's to trade his Siverado in for an Avalanche!:o

Scarey thing about the 'lanche is the incredible amount of blind spots. Sounds like that guy didn't even SEE you till he got out of that truck.

Good to see the Si take so little damage after being hit by a 3 tonne behemoth!

Still sux though...:(

hamproof
04-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Good to see the Si take so little damage after being hit by a 3 tonne behemoth!

He hit the curb to avoid being hit by the Avalanche and hit the bumper of the Avalanche as well.

It is not the same as the EP mass is much less than the Avalanche.

02NJHondaep3
04-09-2003, 06:28 PM
an avalanche almost took off the front part of my car by not stopping at a sign. I think they have it out for si's. I say we put on some rims with blades on them and get back Mad max style.