PDA

View Full Version : Ice box released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

siep
04-08-2003, 10:39 AM
The Comptech Ice box has finally been released! Check it....
http://www.comptechusa.com/cgi-bin/forum/announcements.cgi

elroygun
04-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Sweet.

spoon3168
04-08-2003, 11:34 AM
someone get it and dyno it as fast asap when it comes out!!, i'm planning to get it thou no matter what,...:D
i hope the numbers are good..:confused:

Makross
04-08-2003, 12:51 PM
aWw damn o well i just ordered my AEM CAI :o

AkronSi
04-08-2003, 12:59 PM
It looks like it will be easy to install, just replaces the stock housing. Can't wait for a price!

jaydub
04-08-2003, 01:08 PM
It still says "sneak peak" so it could be a long time until it's released. I don't see why they're waiting so long, it doesn't look like it's that involved to me.

toe knee
04-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Finally!! I have been waiting so long and now i will be able to get it soon. Thanks siep.:)

mikkellucci
04-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Damn it ! :'(
Anyone wanna buy my 1 week used Injen CAI !!???
:p j/k

RMC22
04-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by siep

Doesn't look released to me... :confused:

ApexinSi
04-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Holy crap this is cool....was at that comtech site, a 3d model of the icebox

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/media/3D_rsx_icebox.exe

TezGari
04-08-2003, 02:12 PM
im selling my AEM CAI for iT!!

BlairSpeed
04-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Im trying to understand what is so special about the icebox. Does it use actual ice to cool the air or what? Why is it so much better the a CAI? :o

jaydub
04-08-2003, 02:16 PM
can I laugh when it yields 3HP instead of the 2.5HP you might get with a standard CAI? :o

ssvr6
04-08-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm considering it just so I don't have to "cut" my car for the Injen CAI. I don't mind losing my a$$ on the Injen for this.

Steve

IceD out N CALI
04-08-2003, 02:26 PM
sweet , it is about time

Tenacious G
04-08-2003, 02:54 PM
ah, my prayers have been answered. now i can sleep tonight knowing that i have no money to purchase an icebox anytime soon. anyone know of any man-whoring opportunities so i can make some quick cash? (women preferred)

Mugen_EP
04-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I'm considering it just so I don't have to "cut" my car for the Injen CAI. I don't mind losing my a$$ on the Injen for this.

Steve

You dont need to cut for the AEM to fit either.

RMC22
04-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
can I laugh when it yields 3HP instead of the 2.5HP you might get with a standard CAI? :o

Can I laugh when other people's intakes cause hydrolocking?

ApexinSi
04-08-2003, 03:26 PM
plastic = cooler

jaydub
04-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by RMC22

If you're concerned about that, you have no business owning a CAI. I know I'm not concerned.

Common sense > *

sniperSI
04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I never had to cut that hole by my engine, you can fit the cai down there with no problem, fit is a little tight, so what if you scratch the piecce going down into your wheel well.

sniperSI
04-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by RMC22

If you are really stupid enough to drive thru a 3 foot deep puddle of what then you deserve hydro lock.

jaydub
04-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Besides, if you drive through a puddle deep enough for you to hydrolock, you're probably gonna get water inside the cabin too.

SHAKEnBAKE
04-08-2003, 03:57 PM
It's been asked before and I'll ask it again. Does anyone know if it does make much HP difference with other CAI? Doesn't necesarily have to be for our car, anyone ever actually used Icebox intakes? Cause I'm using AEM CAI right now and I don't know jackshit about the icebox. Please, someone?:(

sniperSI
04-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Icebox has been around for a bit, they make nice OEM looking items, that are oem quailty. They are a great brand, however if you have an injen cai, like myself, i think the HP gains would be negligible, go drop the cash towards a hondata ecu upgrade or a cam, you have an intake that is great quality, and to date, the most HP gains of any intake for our cars.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-08-2003, 04:53 PM
"Coming soon, Comptech will release, the long awaited, Icebox cold air intake for the 2002-2003 Acura RSX and 2002-2003 Honda Civic Si."

Coming soon = not yet released.
will release = future tense.

Someone needs grammar lessons.

ssvr6
04-08-2003, 05:08 PM
You don't "have" to cut the car for the Injen to fit, but you do have to cut it if you don't want to wear a hole away in your CAI. Check your intake if you don't believe me.

As for hydro lock, I'm not scared, I figure I'll just get something that avoids water as well as not forcing me to cut my car. (Hence me not wanting an AEM. That and it's a PITA to install.)

Steve

jaydub
04-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Steve, the AEM isn't terrible to install the second time. :D Only the first one sucks. If you can watch/help on one, the second one takes about an hour.

sniperSI
04-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
You don't "have" to cut the car for the Injen to fit, but you do have to cut it if you don't want to wear a hole away in your CAI. Check your intake if you don't believe me.

As for hydro lock, I'm not scared, I figure I'll just get something that avoids water as well as not forcing me to cut my car. (Hence me not wanting an AEM. That and it's a PITA to install.)

Steve

That's the beauty of Neoprine

JSIR
04-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I'm gonna do my best to get that intake as soon as it is released, looks like a nice setup, sucks cooler air yet the filter is keep cool and dry out of the way. Doesn't show a connection hose from the throttle body, wonder if it uses the stock hose ?. Hoping it gets released soon, I'm hoping within the next month.

Guys, don't expect this thing to make any more power than your standard CAI such as Injen, or DC. There is only so much air the engine needs and I am sure Injen, DC, and Comptech can supply that volume more than adequately. There may be some subtle differences in bottom end torque, but I expect top end power to be very similar between the three. The real benefit of the Comptech system is the ability to keep the air filter reasonably dry and clean, and easy to service. I think it's a nice design.

Joey

tsa1
04-08-2003, 07:37 PM
i was wondering, if you go to one of those "am-pm" car washes with the do-hicky that shoots watter at your car from all directions, can this cause hydrolocking if you have a CAI?

jaydub
04-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by tsa1
i was wondering, if you go to one of those "am-pm" car washes with the do-hicky that shoots watter at your car from all directions, can this cause hydrolocking if you have a CAI?

Absolutely not. The entire filter has to be submerged in water for any hydrolocking to occur.

TravisEP3
04-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
...Guys, don't expect this thing to make any more power than your standard CAI such as Injen, or DC. There is only so much air the engine needs and I am sure Injen, DC, and Comptech can supply that volume more than adequately. There may be some subtle differences in bottom end torque, but I expect top end power to be very similar between the three. The real benefit of the Comptech system is the ability to keep the air filter reasonably dry and clean, and easy to service. I think it's a nice design.

Joey

Hey Joey thanks for this tid bit of helpful info. I'll stick with my AEM I think.

;)

silver ep
04-08-2003, 08:49 PM
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :eek:

Surprise
04-08-2003, 09:07 PM
It looks like an ordinary stock air box but with a longer intake tube. It also looks like there is no baffling boxes like the stock one either. So why can't we just cut out the baffles and add a tube?

RMC22
04-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
It looks like an ordinary stock air box but with a longer intake tube. It also looks like there is no baffling boxes like the stock one either. So why can't we just cut out the baffles and add a tube?

It wouldn't say "Comptech" on it.

kpxplaya415
04-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by siep

GJ Genius.

What are you going to post next? CTR RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hamproof
04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Comptech people posted an announcement on honda-tech.com but not on ephatch.com. Someone needs to be more promotion of this site. Personally, I like this site more coz' there's more *traffic* whether Honda or not related and it's good reason to goof off at work. Maybe that's why we're not taken seriously :D

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=468775

02SilverSiHB
04-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Well, I'll definitely be buying it once it comes out. When ever the hell that is!

AkronSi
04-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hamproof
Comptech people posted an announcement on honda-tech.com but not on ephatch.com.

And someone even posted in the forum over at comptech asking them to make a post over here when it was released. Bastards!

I still want it though! :D

chakra71
04-09-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm in the market for a used CAI.... pm me if you guys want to put something down on your icebox. :)

AEM preferred, will take best price tho... just want some growling under the hood.