PDA

View Full Version : No modification front door speaker install?

icegrill
04-08-2003, 03:40 PM
I've been researching on which components to run off the stock deck. I decided on Infinity because of recommendations and they are one of the few speakers that have small enough magnets. My biggest question is if there is anyway to fabricate piece so you don't have to drill new holes in the inner door, to mount the mids? I was looking through the service manuel and saw that the fronts only connect with clips.

What have other people done?? Thanks alot.

jaydub
04-08-2003, 03:48 PM
I had to chop up the door for mine. You won't be able to get around drilling holes, but even if you drill, the stock ones can still just go right back in with no problem.

siver-SI
04-09-2003, 10:50 AM
I am going to go through Cruchfield for my speekers and they say I will not have to cut my door but they are giving me a spacer to make it so I do not have to chop up my door.

oogy-boogy
04-10-2003, 09:44 AM
You actually have a few options:

- Chop up the door (pain in the a$$).

- Order spacers from Crutchfield.

- Make custom mounts like I did. First off, you have to be willing to chop up your stock speakers. If you cut the speaker out and clip out the plastic basket in the back you can use the plastic assembly to mount your speakers to. I'm not sure about the 6 1/2's. I have a set of MB Quart 5 1/4's and they fit in perfectly and sealed themselves against the plastic ring. I tapped 4 holes into the platic surround piece (Do this with a drill! If not, the plastic will crack) and tightened them. They look and work perfect and I didn't have to cut any holes in the door. FYI - I've seen a set of stock fronts go for as low as $20 on E-bay.

Let me know if you need better directions.

icegrill
04-12-2003, 05:45 PM
oogy your're the man! That was the exact idea I had. I was trying to think of some way to modify the stock speaker mounting. Does this add spacing for aftermarket speakers?? Thanks alot

Jpax
04-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
oogy your're the man! That was the exact idea I had. I was trying to think of some way to modify the stock speaker mounting. Does this add spacing for aftermarket speakers?? Thanks alot

You know i bet if you Did a search on speaker install or doors i bet you would find alot of information.... :rolleyes: Oh well. :(

oogy-boogy
04-13-2003, 06:06 AM

Yes. You should get at least an extra 3/4" for the mounting depth

icegrill
04-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

You know i bet if you Did a search on speaker install or doors i bet you would find alot of information.... :rolleyes: Oh well. :(

Chews caramel corn:o Thanks for the advice.

Jpax
04-13-2003, 05:18 PM

Chews caramel corn:o Thanks for the advice.

WTF is that sapose to mean.. :rolleyes:

importhonda
04-14-2003, 10:48 AM
best way would be to use the stock speakers as a sort of template and trace it onto a piece of 5/8-3/4 mdf. Trace the hole for your aftermarket speaker on that and cut it all out. Screw it to your door, add some dynamat and you have yourself the professional way of installing a speaker... It will also sound the best ;)

jaydub
04-14-2003, 11:30 AM
yeah like this. :D

http://www.dubfusion.com/car_audio/door_install/04.jpg