PDA

View Full Version : Help! Fingernail scratch...

streaker666
04-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Hi all,

I got my black Si (or SiR in Canada, I still don't understand why they named it the SiR in Canada) exactly 2 weeks ago and yesterday I discovered what looks like fingernail scratches on my car (2 of them). :'(

The paint is still black so I don't think there's actual paint damage (as I still see black paint); however, I can see visible grooves on the clear coat (maybe 0.5mm deep?!).

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to correct this little blemish on the paint job? I mean, hell, with all the snow that we have been getting in the past little while I haven't really even seen my car in perfect condition yet!!! Why can't people keep their hands and asses off other people's car?! It's driving me insane!

I would really appreciate if anyone here can help me out on this...thanks a bunch.

SiR Medic
04-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Try getting some Scratch-X scratch and swirl remover, you should be able to get it at any Canadian Tire.

I've never used it myself, but I have heard good things.

Hope this helps.

Tekdemon
04-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Scratch X by Meguiar's definitely *does* help but if the gouge is too deep it can't do anything(which is why my passenger side door still has a huge line running down it and onto the rear quarter panel...GRRRRRR)
But if it's a light scratch buffing it over and over and over will get it out...then just wash the car and wax the hell out of it.

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY THOUGH.

streaker666
04-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks, I'll try the scratch-x (or other similar products) on the scratches to see if it'll do the job...wash, polish, and wax my car. See if that will do the job... I just went out to get a Wen polisher last night, so I'll try it out when the weather gets warmer...gotta restore that showroom shine. :)

Z26
04-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Try wet waxing. We used to do it alot when I was a detailer. Put some good wax on a towel and wax the area normally but instead of letting it dry get a clean terry cloth towel and clean the wax off while its still wet. You must use a ton of force, so much so that you feel that you are going to put a dent in the car. Try this before you go buy something.

streaker666
04-09-2003, 08:57 AM
hey Z26, this wet waxing technique, how does it work to to eliminate the scratch groove on the clear coat? simply by pressure?

Also, what do you consider a good wax for this technique? Is a paste wax from Meguiar good enough? or would I need a harder carnuba wax? Please advise. Thanks.

IceD out N CALI
04-09-2003, 09:03 AM
just wax is a few times. try to buff it out. you might be able to get rid of it that way-give it a try:)

Z26
04-09-2003, 09:55 AM
We always used a carnuba wax called banana wax. Yes its the pressure and the fact the wax is still wet but the pressure is the key. I would use a quater sized drop on the towel and work it in hard and the clean it hard. double the towel up in your palm and use your weight to clean the surface. I'm not saying it will fix your problem but I have used it before, on a Explorer. The whole truck. It was for training.

AkronSi
04-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Try something like this (http://www.properautocare.com/detacforyour.html) from Proper Auto Care.

If Scratch-X doesn't get it out, you'll probably need something a little more aggressive.

streaker666
04-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks AkronSi, what a great car care shop...they have absolutely everything. And the great thing is that they're only now starting to take Canadian orders! :)

AkronSi
04-09-2003, 11:15 AM
I'm glad they are shipping to Canada, I didn't even think about that before I posted :D

I've ordered stuff from them before. Their customer service is great. Really nice people.