PDA

View Full Version : wat r hoodpins for?

undisputed
04-09-2003, 07:36 AM
some kid @ skool says they are to hold down the carbon fiber hood cuz its so light, i have friends that race and they told me its so u can open up ur hood quickly and easily(instead of going inside ur car and pressing the button) adn that u can put them on normal hoods too. when i told the kid @ skool, he said that was stupid.

who's right?

CaptainMurphy
04-09-2003, 01:18 PM
well, I would think that both of them are right to some extent. I believe that full race cars use hood pins since its lighter and quicker than a hood latch that your normal, everyday car has. My friend's CF hood on his 00 Si uses the latch and hood pins, its kind of tricky how its set up. You have to use the hood release inside the cabin, but there is no latch that you have to undo above the H, just release the hood pins and the hood lifts up.

Well, I hope you understood that, and that's just my limited experience with hood pins.

SiR Medic
04-09-2003, 06:41 PM
:rolleyes:

Hood pins are redneck rice!

Unless you plan on driving the car at speeds over 150mph, they are useless.

When I worked at a gas station, when of the guys put a set on his '82 Monte Carlo V-6. I must say... It really helped accent the half-vinyl roof! :rolleyes:

BTW... HE WAS A MORON

poppasp1ce
04-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
:rolleyes:

Hood pins are redneck rice!

Unless you plan on driving the car at speeds over 150mph, they are useless.

When I worked at a gas station, when of the guys put a set on his '82 Monte Carlo V-6. I must say... It really helped accent the half-vinyl roof! :rolleyes:

BTW... HE WAS A MORON

i think hoodpins look good. i must be a moron :p

02NJHondaep3
04-15-2003, 05:34 PM
My friend's hoodpins got stolen and when he drove home from school going around 25-30, his hood flew up and cracked. I ended up giving him one of my shoelaces so he could tie it down and get home safely.

Mad02Si
04-15-2003, 05:50 PM
I always heard that for the carbon fiber hoods they were used because most didnt have mounting holes for the OEM hood latch, and also because it's lighter. Now most carbon hoods have the mounting points for the latch built in so I dont think pins are required unless you just want them.

siver-SI
04-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Well I have to use hood and trunk pins at my local track and have them on my stock hoods on both of my hondas and the trunks. They are so that if my car catches fire the crew there can open my car up with no problems right away and get any fire out. I have the realeses that are stock out of the car so they do not catch on the hood. they are a cheap $7 safty add on for the track. For the CF hoods some do not come with the ability to use the factory latch on the hood so you have to use hood pins. the hard part some times is making sure everything is lined up right before you drill a few 1/2 holes in your car and hood to bold them down.

sniperSI
05-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mad02Si
I always heard that for the carbon fiber hoods they were used because most didnt have mounting holes for the OEM hood latch, and also because it's lighter. Now most carbon hoods have the mounting points for the latch built in so I dont think pins are required unless you just want them.

Carbon fiber hoods are light, you would want hood pins because even if it's latched it would still get a shimmy effect at high speeds.

over all it's not a bad idea for hood pins on a cf hood for real.